The Student Room Group

The Medicine Interview Preparation Megathread 2012 Entry

Hey everyone :smile:

I know this is pretty early but the deadline has almost passed us, and Birmingham have given out a fair few interviews already! So to stop that 'not knowing what to do' on TSR feeling, I thought I'd set this up so we could share ideas and knowledge about all aspects of the medical interview: ethics, current issues etc.

Best of luck everyone :biggrin:

Can I just emphasize, before I get eaten by the moderators, that this is supposed to be interview preparation, not post-interview discussion. Please refrain from doing so as it is against TSR policy. :smile:

This should give you an idea about interviews at all the different medical schools: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_you_should_expect_at_a_medical_school_interview
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh Birmingham, why be so different?
Oooo great idea. Fingers crossed I get some interviews!
I can't explain how incredibly depressing this is when your school has yet to send your application....
Reply 4
Original post by marc_h94
Hey everyone :smile:

I know this is pretty early but the deadline has almost passed us, and Birmingham have given out a fair few interviews already! So to stop that 'not knowing what to do' on TSR feeling, I thought I'd set this up so we could share ideas and knowledge about all aspects of the medical interview: ethics, current issues etc.

Best of luck everyone :biggrin:

Can I just emphasize, before I get eaten by the moderators, that this is supposed to be interview preparation, not post-interview discussion. Please refrain from doing so as it is against TSR policy. :smile:

well edited :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by JessBess

Original post by JessBess
well edited :wink:

Haha courtesy of your PM I must add :smile:
Good plan! I'm at a bit of a loss as what to do with myself until I hear from my choices.
I'm anti-abortion, what is the best way to explain my view if asked about it? When I was getting my PS reviewed and UCAS sent off today the guidance officer asked me how I'd respond to something that was against my faith.
Would saying it was the unjust annihilation of human life and thus against the principles of medicine (specifically non-maleficence) be a suitable way of phrasing it? I wouldn't use words like "murder" or "sinful" in case I got a pro-choice interviewer who put a huge red flag against my name.

And can they ask what you would do about suspected child abuse? I've heard of similar questions being asked.
Reply 8
Original post by marc_h94
Haha courtesy of your PM I must add :smile:

Here to help :biggrin: just need an interview Had three mock ones at school, found it terrifying, one question was what was the best thing to happen in healthcare in the past 50 years. I went blank
Reply 9
abortion, I would probably tell them my opinion on the matter. However I would try and be the 'middle grounded person'.
Take an understanding approach to why it is acceptable.
Understanding approach? Do you mean to understand the motives of the people who legalised it and want it to stay legal or to understand the complexities of pregnant womens' predicaments? I can do both, but I would come down on the side of it being wrong.
Reply 11
Original post by ScheduleII
Understanding approach? Do you mean to understand the motives of the people who legalised it and want it to stay legal or to understand the complexities of pregnant womens' predicaments? I can do both, but I would come down on the side of it being wrong.

I would try be firm with my believes but like making it as vague as possible.

Abortion depends on the case really. since there can be so many possibilities involved. (I would expand using an example). They would obviouslybcome baback with a more simple example which is where I would say that. "Although I feel it wrong"....mothers right etc

I would hate to really put myself in a single group so I would just put myself vaguely in both lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
I'm anti-abortion, what is the best way to explain my view if asked about it? When I was getting my PS reviewed and UCAS sent off today the guidance officer asked me how I'd respond to something that was against my faith.
Would saying it was the unjust annihilation of human life and thus against the principles of medicine (specifically non-maleficence) be a suitable way of phrasing it? I wouldn't use words like "murder" or "sinful" in case I got a pro-choice interviewer who put a huge red flag against my name.

And can they ask what you would do about suspected child abuse? I've heard of similar questions being asked.

They are unlikely to ask you directly "So what do you think of abortion?" If the topic does come up, it might be part of a scenario, or it might be that you'd be asked more what are the ethical/legal arguments for and against.

While it's fine to have your personal beliefs, in this situation you still have to be able to articulate both points of view before coming to a conclusion (if appropriate). Saying that it breaches the principle of non-maleficence could be quite controversial so be prepared to back that one up if you raise it.

On a more general note, this thread should be about this kind of thing - discussion of possible questions - rather than stressing over when/if you're going to receive an interview and how badly they went. I'll create an interview chat thread for that.

In these type of questions the interviewer is looking to see if you can express and understand both sides of a complex issue. As a doctor you will be faced with situations that you have strong moral opinions about, what is important is that you do not come across as judgemental or didactic. I would recomend that you talk about the reasons for and against abortion and at the end simply say that due to your own morality it is not something you agree with but that you respect patient autonomy. Remmember that as a doctor you can refuse to be involved in abortions and birth control but if that is what a patient wishes you must refer them to a doctor who can help.
Reply 14
Original post by FrenziedPenguin
In these type of questions the interviewer is looking to see if you can express and understand both sides of a complex issue. As a doctor you will be faced with situations that you have strong moral opinions about, what is important is that you do not come across as judgemental or didactic. I would recomend that you talk about the reasons for and against abortion and at the end simply say that due to your own morality it is not something you agree with but that you respect patient autonomy. Remmember that as a doctor you can refuse to be involved in abortions and birth control but if that is what a patient wishes you must refer them to a doctor who can help.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

What other questions do you think are quite important?
Reply 15
Original post by Doctor.
Thanks for the advice :smile:

What other questions do you think are quite important?

Generally questions about the beginning and end of life are the ones which can generate the most discussion. So abortion, pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, what to do with a severely disabled, terminally ill baby, euthanasia etc. Other questions could be to do with consent, confidentiality...

I'll try to come up with some scenarios for people to discuss later on.
Reply 16
Original post by Helenia
Generally questions about the beginning and end of life are the ones which can generate the most discussion. So abortion, pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, what to do with a severely disabled, terminally ill baby, euthanasia etc. Other questions could be to do with consent, confidentiality...

I'll try to come up with some scenarios for people to discuss later on.

haha you've got me thinking :colondollar: Thanks in advance and +1. :biggrin:
Can anyone give me a good answer to "talk about when you worked well in a team".
Original post by dunnicare
Can anyone give me a good answer to "talk about when you worked well in a team".

Erm not really since I haven't been in any of the teams that you were in...
Reply 19
OK, here you go:

Imagine you are in a GP surgery. A 15 year old girl comes in alone. She tells you that she is pregnant, and wants a termination. From calculating her dates you think she is about 9 weeks. She begs you not to tell her parents. Her mum rings up later in the day, having found out she has been to see you, and demanding to know what went on - "She's under 16 so it's my right to know what she said to you."

What issues does this raise, and how do you think you will tackle them?

Latest

Trending

Trending