Reply 61
Original post by marc_h94
"What's your biggest weakness?"

I got asked this last year...

...and it raped me :frown:
Original post by marc_h94
"What's your biggest weakness?"

Turn your weakness into a strength! :tongue:

This may seem like a paradox, but I would say something like 'I spend too much time making sure things are completed and are done properly'

This may seem like you have bad time managment skills, but in reality you are showing that you really care about patients, which is all good :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by SaintSoldier
Turn your weakness into a strength! :tongue:

This may seem like a paradox, but I would say something like 'I spend too much time making sure things are completed and are done properly'

This may seem like you have bad time managment skills, but in reality you are showing that you really care about patients, which is all good :smile:

I'm afraid to say this is a real cliché - everyone says that they're a perfectionist or that they don't feel able to say no to people. It's pretty transparent. Be honest, unless your weakness is for small children or chainsaws.
Reply 64
As for the abortion scenario, there are lots of things to try to work out. First of all, does she have capacity to request and consent to a termination? This means does she understand what a termination involves, the risks it entails, and what the alternatives are? Does she legally fit the criteria for a termination (probably)? If she does, then she can consent to it herself - this is what the Fraser/Gillick guidelines are all about. If your personal beliefs mean that you do not feel able to refer her for abortion, you must direct her to someone who will. Regarding contraception afterwards, it's certainly worth thinking about but you generally only have 10 minutes, and she's already got a lot on her plate - so perhaps mention it, and then ask her to think about it and come back another time. Or, as I already mentioned, this can be covered by some termination services at the time.

You are right to raise the possibility of abuse/involvement of a significantly older party, and would have to try to explore that (treading very carefully as teenage girls are not the easiest to communicate with!) to make sure she's not in danger. If she is, then you have the right to breach confidentiality (though your first port of call would be your named contact for safeguarding children rather than the police or her mother) but this is something you should certainly seek advice from your seniors and your medical defence organisation before doing.

As for whether to tell the mother, if the girl has demonstrated that she is competent to make this decision for herself, then you have to respect her confidentiality, with the exception I've already described. You would encourage her to discuss it with her mother, or at least with somebody that she can trust, as terminations are scary things to go through on your own, but you cannot force her. When mother dearest starts screaming down the phone, you just have to explain politely that you are not able to discuss it with her.

Hope that helps - feel free to add anything or ask questions!
Original post by Helenia
I'm afraid to say this is a real cliché

true, but really there isnt much else to say. You're hardly going to say 'I struggle to remember things' as your weakness are you?

Anyways, with thousands applying to every university, everything in Medicine admissions is a cliche. It is near impossible to come up with something original.

and its better to come up with a cliche than nothing at all! (which can easily happen at interview if you just have a complete mind-blank :wink:)
Reply 66
Original post by SaintSoldier
true, but really there isnt much else to say. You're hardly going to say 'I struggle to remember things' as your weakness are you?

Anyways, with thousands applying to every university, everything in Medicine admissions is a cliche. It is near impossible to come up with something original.

and its better to come up with a cliche than nothing at all! (which can easily happen at interview if you just have a complete mind-blank :wink:)

It's fine to say that - as long as you can then say how you've managed to combat that weakness. Nobody is perfect, and not everyone is a perfectionist!
Reply 67
Original post by Helenia
It's fine to say that - as long as you can then say how you've managed to combat that weakness. Nobody is perfect, and not everyone is a perfectionist!

Would saying....having a tendency to pay too much attention to irrelevant things. For example I would try and analyse the full situation and not just look at the main points.

I am not really sure :s Hard question lol
Original post by Doctor.
Would saying....having a tendency to pay too much attention to irrelevant things. For example I would try and analyse the full situation and not just look at the main points.

I am not really sure :s Hard question lol

Well, how do you work to deal with that weakness, although it does sound a lot like the "too much attention to detail" weakness that interviewers have probably heard hundreds of times. If you can work out how you deal with it it should be fine.
Reply 69
Original post by Normandy114
Well, how do you work to deal with that weakness, although it does sound a lot like the "too much attention to detail" weakness that interviewers have probably heard hundreds of times. If you can work out how you deal with it it should be fine.

I don't want to come across shallow or anything but I don't really have a weakness :confused:. I am full of flaws lol, I know :tongue:.

It's just that when it come to identifying a specific one especially relating it to medicine. My brain fails :/

I just feel so morbid today, sorrrrrrrry
Original post by Doctor.
I don't want to come across shallow or anything but I don't really have a weakness :confused:.

Well, telling the interviewer that you have no weaknesses will come across as very arrogant and lacking in self-insight. You may want to think a little bit better about your strengths and weaknesses.
Reply 71
Well, telling the interviewer that you have no weaknesses will come across as very arrogant and lacking in self-insight. You may want to think a little bit better about your strengths and weaknesses.

will do, there was no chance of me saying "I have no weakness" lol :tongue:. I have lots, just not sure what they are :smile:
My greatest weakness is probably procrastination! I am putting off an essay right now by being on here :biggrin: I guess I'm a bit worried about saying that...I do have the ability to make myself do something when it needs doing, but it doesn't 'need doing' until the night before usually :redface: I never miss deadlines, but I scrape them by the skin of my teeth. I don't know of any way to make that sound positive. How honest would you be if you were me?
Reply 73
SilverArch
My greatest weakness is probably procrastination!

Isn't it a little too truthful :tongue:. I cannot see a way to recover it back from that lol :confused:
Original post by Doctor.
Isn't it a little too truthful :tongue:. I cannot see a way to recover it back from that lol :confused:

Well, as someone who procrastinates a lot, I would say that as a result of this I have improved my organisational skills to compensate, so that I still make sure I get work done.
Reply 75
Well, as someone who procrastinates a lot, I would say that as a result of this I have improved my organisational skills to compensate, so that I still make sure I get work done.

I would see it as, putting off important tasks to a later time. For example studying for final medical exams? :tongue:

^is what I consider a definition of procrastinating is, isn't it? :s-smilie:
Original post by Doctor.
I would see it as, putting off important tasks to a later time. For example studying for final medical exams? :tongue:

^is what I consider a definition of procrastinating is, isn't it? :s-smilie:

Well yes, but if you make a plan in advance and force yourself to stick to it, you don't leave room to procrastinate.
Reply 77
Well yes, but if you make a plan in advance and force yourself to stick to it, you don't leave room to procrastinate.

I understand what you mean :smile: I do that all the time. I am just seeing it as how the interview will take it...

It's better than not responding I guess :biggrin: but I don't know I feel procrastinating is a bit of a no-no in medicine? :s-smilie:
Reply 78
Original post by Doctor.
I understand what you mean :smile: I do that all the time. I am just seeing it as how the interview will take it...

It's better than not responding I guess :biggrin: but I don't know I feel procrastinating is a bit of a no-no in medicine? :s-smilie:

im sure there is a way to show that any weakness can be detrimental in medicine. the point of asking that question is to see if you have self insight and if you can do something about it
Is it bad that my genuine answer to "Your biggest weakness" would probably be "chocolate"? Honestly didn't realise it meant what I'm not so good at :lol:

Christ alive. I'll need the most help out of anyone. In a way, I'm glad Edinburgh don't interview.

Latest

Trending

Trending