The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by no.name
I found this MMI style scenario on the internet:
You are a cardiologist at a local hospital, who just finished a shift and has a tight run to your daughter’s high school graduation ceremony. As you headed off to the door, Mark, a patient who knew you well, saw you from the waiting room and grabbed your attention. “Doctor! I have a bad chest pain. Please stay for a bit. I’ll feel much better if you were here.”
Enter the waiting room and talk to Mark.

I have a bit of a dilemma.
At first I was thinking: give painkillers to alleviate the pain. then get another doctor to take the case, so the patient will still get seen.
Then I thought would that be suitable to say in a med interview (i don't want to sound like I am not committed, dedicated...!)
so maybe I should miss the graduation because as a doctor, patients are my first priority. The chest pain could be something serious.

What do you think?

What Panda said, but don't forget that you have to be seen to strike a good home/life balance. While your patient is your first concern, I would make it clear that you would hand them over to a collegue when it became possible and then go to the graduation. Patients come first but you can't completely sacrifice your family life for your work.
Reply 1661
Original post by Panda89

Original post by Panda89
Yes, I certainly wouldn't leave the patient; chest pain can be fatal at times, and as you said, patient safety is the doctors' primary concern. However, since you're short on time, you should assess his chest pain but at the same time contact a colleague whom you know may be free. When your colleague arrives, quickly hand-over your assessment and let them take over.

In this situation, I think it's important to balance patient safety with resource (time) allocation.

okay, thank you!! that really helped!
Reply 1662
Original post by Emerald Rose

Original post by Emerald Rose
What Panda said, but don't forget that you have to be seen to strike a good home/life balance. While your patient is your first concern, I would make it clear that you would hand them over to a collegue when it became possible and then go to the graduation. Patients come first but you can't completely sacrifice your family life for your work.

thanks, i will definitely remember that!
Reply 1663
Discuss the pros and cons of NICE regulating medicine.

Can seomone please help me answer this question?
I have a made a list of pros and cons but I would like to get some opinions from the rest of you guys.

Many Thanks
Reply 1664
another question!

IF YOU HAD £200,000, WOULD YOU INVEST IT IN ORGAN TRANSPLANTS, IVF OR HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY?

I was thinking along the lines of:

1. BENEFIT TO INDIVIDUAL:
organ transplant- be a a matter of life and death for the individual- it would save their life,
IVF- allow someone to have a child,
Hip replacement surgery- improve someone's quality of life

2.AFFECT ON SOCIETY
have to consider how many people the £200,000 pounds can benefit and what is the cost of each organ transplant, IVF or hip replacement.

Does the £200,000 include the aftercare for those who have had a transplant ( immunosupressing drugs)? If not costs will rise above the budget.

Consider what impact each of these people will have an society after they have had the treatment.
organ transplant-->return to work/get a better job but who is the organ for? an ex-alcoholic?.
IVF--> have childdren who can then contribute to society once they grow up.
hip replacement-->return to work but depends on age. if people getting the surgery are really elderly and do not work anymore then society as a whole won't be impacted that much. I think I will choose to invest in organ transplants, providing that the £200,000 includes other costs, as for people requiring a transplant, it can be a matter of life and death.

These are my thoughts so far...I know that there is no right or wrong answer but I need to be able to justify myself properly.
:smile:
Original post by no.name
another question!

IF YOU HAD £200,000, WOULD YOU INVEST IT IN ORGAN TRANSPLANTS, IVF OR HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY?

I was thinking along the lines of:

1. BENEFIT TO INDIVIDUAL:
organ transplant- be a a matter of life and death for the individual- it would save their life,
IVF- allow someone to have a child,
Hip replacement surgery- improve someone's quality of life

2.AFFECT ON SOCIETY
have to consider how many people the £200,000 pounds can benefit and what is the cost of each organ transplant, IVF or hip replacement.

Does the £200,000 include the aftercare for those who have had a transplant ( immunosupressing drugs)? If not costs will rise above the budget.

Consider what impact each of these people will have an society after they have had the treatment.
organ transplant-->return to work/get a better job but who is the organ for? an ex-alcoholic?.
IVF--> have childdren who can then contribute to society once they grow up.
hip replacement-->return to work but depends on age. if people getting the surgery are really elderly and do not work anymore then society as a whole won't be impacted that much. I think I will choose to invest in organ transplants, providing that the £200,000 includes other costs, as for people requiring a transplant, it can be a matter of life and death.

These are my thoughts so far...I know that there is no right or wrong answer but I need to be able to justify myself properly.
:smile:

There is another issues, organ transplants will eventually fail and the costs for immunosuppressents, antibiotics etc can be very high per patient compared to IVF and hip replacements (from what I remember at least).
Reply 1666
Original post by roar558
There is another issues, organ transplants will eventually fail and the costs for immunosuppressents, antibiotics etc can be very high per patient compared to IVF and hip replacements (from what I remember at least).

oh good point!! hmm, that makes me rethink my decision...IVF perhaps? but how many IVF people can £200,000 benefit? I don't even know how much IVF costs! thanks!
Original post by no.name
oh good point!! hmm, that makes me rethink my decision...IVF perhaps? but how many IVF people can £200,000 benefit? I don't even know how much IVF costs! thanks!

If I'm honest not many, IVF if I remember correctly can cost in excess of £5k per try. For organ transplants as well, the organ transplant itself can cost £20k, and the immunosuppressents 5k or so per year, however if patients are currently on dialysis (which costs about £20-30k per year) then carrying out organ transplants can save the nhs money overall if antibiotic treatments are not used. I'm not entirely sure how much the antibiotics would cost though but if I remember correctly it was £20+ for something like 1g of carbenicillin that we use in the lab so I would guess it would be pretty hefty over a year. However a limiting factor of organ transplants is the fact that organs are in short supply, ie theres many more who need organs than those who donate them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1668
Found another question!

Your mother rings you and asks you to come round to help with a major family decision.
Your grandfather is 70 years old and has been diagnosed with a condition that will kill
him some time in the next five years. He can have a procedure that will correct the disease and
not leave him with any long-term problems, but the procedure has a 10% mortality rate.
He wants to have the procedure, but your mother does not want him to.
How would you help mediate this issue?

Finding this quite tricky so far. I know that the patient's decision should be respected (autonomy) and that they can't be coerced by my mother (or the consent to have the procedure done or not done will not be valid). But how do I persuade my mother to support the decision? or do I just have to acknowledge that she is against the idea but tell her that at the end of the day it is his decision. But it is quite a sensitive situation because I don't want to start a fight with her! There is 90% chance he will survive! q
help!
Original post by no.name
Found another question!

Your mother rings you and asks you to come round to help with a major family decision.
Your grandfather is 70 years old and has been diagnosed with a condition that will kill
him some time in the next five years. He can have a procedure that will correct the disease and
not leave him with any long-term problems, but the procedure has a 10% mortality rate.

Finding this quite tricky so far. I know that the patient's decision should be respected (autonomy) and that they can't be coerced by my mother (or the consent to have the procedure done or not done will not be valid). But how do I persuade my mother to support the decision? or do I just have to acknowledge that she is against the idea but tell her that at the end of the day it is his decision. But it is quite a sensitive situation because I don't want to start a fight with her! There is 90% chance he will survive! q
help!

To be blunt, what your hypothetical mother thinks is neither here nor there. All you can do is explain thoroughly the pros and cons of what the patient has decided.
I have a mock interview next week and have been asked to research current government policies on healthcare. I dont know where to start! HELP! :smile:
Reply 1671
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
To be blunt, what your hypothetical mother thinks is neither here nor there. All you can do is explain thoroughly the pros and cons of what the patient has decided.

ok thanks!
Reply 1672
Original post by no.name
Found another question!

help!

There's your answer right there. If the man is of sufficient mental capacity to make an autonomous decision without proxy, then his wishes should be respected. And as toosexy said, explain pros and cons to mother, and also to grandpa just to doubly ensure that he understands the pros/cons. Also, realistically speaking...a 10% mortality rate is pretty tame...especially if the procedure has a strong chance of correcting the issue entirely, so this isn't much of an ethics case nor a medical dilemma to begin with.
Reply 1673
Original post by .eXe
There's your answer right there. If the man is of sufficient mental capacity to make an autonomous decision without proxy, then his wishes should be respected. And as toosexy said, explain pros and cons to mother, and also to grandpa just to doubly ensure that he understands the pros/cons. Also, realistically speaking...a 10% mortality rate is pretty tame...especially if the procedure has a strong chance of correcting the issue entirely, so this isn't much of an ethics case nor a medical dilemma to begin with.

okay! thanks!
Reply 1674
just came across a strange qs: What role would you take in a pbl group?
erm, there are diff roles? I thought it was just working in a team...
Reply 1675
Original post by no.name
just came across a strange qs: What role would you take in a pbl group?
erm, there are diff roles? I thought it was just working in a team...

You can have a leader guiding the group throughout each session. Although we swap roles each session to be fair. :smile:
Original post by ChangedMyMind
I'm not sure how on the ground it is done - but the PCTs do blacklist drugs and say it is not cost-effective. They effectively have a lower threshold than NICE do for what they consider cost-effective.

Long story short (I worked in the PCT environment for three months), the PCT makes a decision based on both cost and epidemiological evidence proving that a particular drug is effective. If said drug has not shown an enormous benefit over an existing similar drug then it will be black listed and thus non-prescribable. If it is deemed to have little to no worth even in secondary care then it will be non-prescribable in both hospital and community.

When it comes to high cost drugs that perhaps have showed some reasonable evidence of cost effectiveness, we would generally expect this to be prescribed within the hospital setting (thus coming out of the hospitals budget).

There are various committee's and formulary meetings where such things are discussed. If you want more information then give me a shout.

Long story short: necessary bureaucracy
What are some improvements you would make to the NHS?
Really struggling with this one...
Original post by masterhr1
What are some improvements you would make to the NHS?
Really struggling with this one...

Integration of services to provide better and more efficient treatment plans for long-term illnesses. Check out this from the King's Fund: http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/future_forum_report.html
Reply 1679
am i right in saying that after fy2 it takes 3 years to become a gp ?

Latest

Trending

Trending