The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1720
Original post by sumsum123
:laugh: I thought I gave you the link :tongue:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17156525

Thank you! It won't let me +rep you because I already recently have :frown:

Also does anyone have a good article on why everyone is so opposed to the bill? Because for the past few days I've been through a lot of articles but all they're saying is 'it could be detrimental to the health of the nation' with no solid reasons.
Original post by Erotas
Thank you! It won't let me +rep you because I already recently have :frown:

Also does anyone have a good article on why everyone is so opposed to the bill? Because for the past few days I've been through a lot of articles but all they're saying is 'it could be detrimental to the health of the nation' with no solid reasons.

Ah no problem. I started off from this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12177084 and researched more after to understand the reforms in alot more detail.
Reply 1722
Original post by sumsum123
Ah no problem. I started off from this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12177084 and researched more after to understand the reforms in alot more detail.

Lifesaver!! Thank you so much :smile:
Hey there, I am sort of stuck on something :smile:. I was looking at NICE and what will happen to it in the reform and from the website it says "The Health and Social Care Bill of 2011 sets out plans for NICE to become a Non Departmental Public Body....". Might be silly question :tongue: but what does the phrase "Non depertmental public body" mean?
Reply 1724
As a doctor, are you obliged to give out the details of a stab/gunshot victim to the police if you suspect the incident to be a part of a bigger offence even if its against the patients wishes?
My answer would have been yes because the perpetrator is still loose which could risk the lives of others. Anyone agree?
Original post by Waqar.
As a doctor, are you obliged to give out the details of a stab/gunshot victim to the police if you suspect the incident to be a part of a bigger offence even if its against the patients wishes?
My answer would have been yes because the perpetrator is still loose which could risk the lives of others. Anyone agree?

Yes... to an extent. Of course, you'll have to discuss it with the patient first to understand if he/she is willing to talk to the police. If the patient still refuses and without a court order imposed by the police, then you must respect the confidentiality of the patient; however, considering that someone else could potentially be in danger, you can provide (you've discussed the seriousness of the situation with the patient beforehand) some details regarding the patient. It's important to note that you have to be careful with what details you do provide, making sure that the information is relevant to the case/incident and everything else remains disclosed.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Waqar.

AFAIK every gun shot victim has to be reported to the police automatically - its not a matter of your own concerns, and you dont take the patients wishes into account, i dunno if its a law, but its a major rule and the police will be called.

:smile:
Original post by laurie:)
AFAIK every gun shot victim has to be reported to the police automatically - its not a matter of your own concerns, and you dont take the patients wishes into account, i dunno if its a law, but its a major rule and the police will be called.

It's GMC guidelines, so you are correct. :smile: They advise that ALL gunshot wounds and all non-accidental/self-harm knife wounds should be reported to the police, and in general this occurs as soon as a patient arrives in A&E or sometimes even before. This is a very specific instance where breaching confidentiality is allowed; you do not need to discuss it with the patient.
(edited 12 years ago)
what the advantages and disadvantages of GP's replacing Primary Care trusts?
Reply 1729
if there are any??
are the reforms going to affect wales as well as england?
Reply 1730
There are some, but you'd be hard pressed to find any information about it online.
I'm unsure as to how the planned reforms will affect the welsh NHS, as health is a devolved power meaning the welsh assembly is in charge of it.
If you're asking this as interview prep I'd suggest the only thing you need to be aware of is that the NHS in wales is the responsibility of the welsh government, not westminster, which I suppose means the NHS in the two countires has different priorities as I should imagine prevelances of certain diseases varies due to socio-economic and geographical factors.
Reply 1731
Well there are some obvious ones. Prescriptions and car parking (by and large) are free in Wales. The 4hr target in A&E is ignored (at least they are in Gwent) and it is routine for patients to wait 8-10hrs to be seen by an EM doc and upwards of 24hours before transfer to a ward after speciality referral. Every single night shift I arrive to find minimum 5 patients in a corridor on an ambulance trolley waiting for an A&E cubicle/trolley which is something I never saw in the two A&Es I worked at in England.

My observation (and it is simply an observation) is that Wales has a better PR system. The patients think its better because the vast majority are not that ill so free parking and prescriptions is great. If I had cancer however or an ill elderly relative I would rather be treated in England.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1732
Original post by Egypt
Well there are some obvious ones. Prescriptions and car parking (by and large) are free in Wales. The 4hr target in A&E is ignored (at least they are in Gwent) and it is routine for patients to wait 8-10hrs to be seen by an EM doc and upwards of 24hours before transfer to a ward after speciality referral. Every single night shift I arrive to find minimum 5 patients in a corridor on an ambulance trolley waiting for an A&E cubicle/trolley which is something I never saw in the two A&Es I worked at in England.

My observation (and it is simply an observation) is that Wales has a better PR system. The patients think its better because the vast majority are not that ill so free parking and prescriptions is great. If I had cancer however or an ill elderly relative I would rather be treated in England.

Since when has the 4 hour breach been ignored? I wouldn't know about the Royal but certainly where I've experienced they're not!
Reply 1733
Original post by Elwyn
There are some, but you'd be hard pressed to find any information about it online.
I'm unsure as to how the planned reforms will affect the welsh NHS, as health is a devolved power meaning the welsh assembly is in charge of it.
If you're asking this as interview prep I'd suggest the only thing you need to be aware of is that the NHS in wales is the responsibility of the welsh government, not westminster, which I suppose means the NHS in the two countires has different priorities as I should imagine prevelances of certain diseases varies due to socio-economic and geographical factors.

ok thanks :smile:
Reply 1734
Original post by Egypt

thanks! :smile: I have a slightly silly question- what does PR stand for? public relations?
Reply 1735
Original post by chrisjar
Since when has the 4 hour breach been ignored? I wouldn't know about the Royal but certainly where I've experienced they're not!

The Royal Gwent A&E is a shambles. The staff work exceptionally hard and well together however there are no beds to move people on. As I said before, its just an observation from my own experience and not necessarily representative of all Wales!
Reply 1736
Original post by chrisjar

Interestingly you're correct! ABHB does aim for the for 4hr target, just not very successfully! I don't suppose they have the same problem at the Heath!

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/documents/866/3.4%2DUSC%20Board%20Paper%2D%20July%20%2D%20FINAL%2D14%207%20111.pdf
There are also other differences. Cervical smear testing is done from 20, not 25 as in England. The NHS also pays for dental check-ups for under 25s. Structurally England has Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) whereas Wales has health boards (e.g. Cardiff and Vale University Health Board) you can google these things for more information.
Reply 1738
hi. does anyone know the format of a leeds interview? any help is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1739
Original post by diamondsky99
There are also other differences. Cervical smear testing is done from 20, not 25 as in England. The NHS also pays for dental check-ups for under 25s. Structurally England has Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) whereas Wales has health boards (e.g. Cardiff and Vale University Health Board) you can google these things for more information.

thank you!! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending