The Student Room Group

Should I drop out? How long should I wait?

I've just started uni on Sunday and I'm sooo wanting to pack up and go move back home, I'd literally walk home if I could.

I've started a biology degree and even though I am a bit interested in it it just doesn't feel right at all for me. I'm not 100% sure on what career I want to have, but teaching is a possibility.

As well as the course not feeling right it's killing me to be away from home :frown:, I've cried so much this week it's unreal.

Thing is I could move back home and do a teaching degree, at a uni down the road practically, which would enable me to do the job I think I want to do and obviously that would solve the homesickness issue.

I'm just so sad and depressed constantly, I can feel myself getting ill over it and that's really not what I want to happen.

If anyone has dropped out of uni or has felt similar, how long did you wait to see if things sorted themselves out? I'm going up home on the 11th Nov and even that seems too long to wait, I literally can't bear it :frown:.

Any advice at all would be handy, thanks so much :smile:.
xxxx

Scroll to see replies

If you haven't even been on it a week, you really ought to give it a bit more time.
Give it time for now. It hasn't been long yet. Also at some point you are going to leave home, this is easier to do at uni which is a sort of halfway house between school and the real world than being thrown in at the deep end
Reply 3
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
If you haven't even been on it a week, you really ought to give it a bit more time.

Original post by crazylemon
Give it time for now. It hasn't been long yet. Also at some point you are going to leave home, this is easier to do at uni which is a sort of halfway house between school and the real world than being thrown in at the deep end

Thanks guys, going to try and wait until the weekend I go back up home but it's so hard, never felt this depressed before :frown:
Original post by sph_allinson
Thanks guys, going to try and wait until the weekend I go back up home but it's so hard, never felt this depressed before :frown:

Is it just homesickness that is the problem? Because that should just pass
Reply 5
I've just started uni on Sunday and I'm sooo wanting to pack up and go move back home, I'd literally walk home if I could.

I've started a biology degree and even though I am a bit interested in it it just doesn't feel right at all for me. I'm not 100% sure on what career I want to have, but teaching is a possibility.

As well as the course not feeling right it's killing me to be away from home :frown:, I've cried so much this week it's unreal.

Thing is I could move back home and do a teaching degree, at a uni down the road practically, which would enable me to do the job I think I want to do and obviously that would solve the homesickness issue.

I'm just so sad and depressed constantly, I can feel myself getting ill over it and that's really not what I want to happen.

If anyone has dropped out of uni or has felt similar, how long did you wait to see if things sorted themselves out? I'm going up home on the 11th Nov and even that seems too long to wait, I literally can't bear it :frown:.

Any advice at all would be handy, thanks so much :smile:.
xxxx

Are you at york?? You're user name is like someone i'm fb friends with and I'm doing biology at york too and feeling the same...
Reply 6
Original post by (Online)
Are you at york?? You're user name is like someone i'm fb friends with and I'm doing biology at york too and feeling the same...

Yes I am! Chat to me on fb? xx
Reply 7
Original post by crazylemon
Is it just homesickness that is the problem? Because that should just pass

No not just the homesickness I don't think, the course just doesn't feel right for me. I can't see myself coming out of uni after 3 years and actually getting a job biology related which worries me. It's either teaching or nursing (completely different I know) that I might want to do... and I don't need to be stuck here to do that.
Reply 8
No not just the homesickness I don't think, the course just doesn't feel right for me. I can't see myself coming out of uni after 3 years and actually getting a job biology related which worries me. It's either teaching or nursing (completely different I know) that I might want to do... and I don't need to be stuck here to do that.

...Then why did you choose to do Biology at uni?

Like everyone else has said, give it more time. You might start liking the course (since you've only been there a week, I doubt you've even scratched the surface by now). As for the homesickness... Eh. I can't really relate but I don't think it's worth crying over. Your parents aren't gonna just disppear or w/e. Talk to them on the phone or similar.
Reply 9
Original post by k3ro
...Then why did you choose to do Biology at uni?

Like everyone else has said, give it more time. You might start liking the course (since you've only been there a week, I doubt you've even scratched the surface by now). As for the homesickness... Eh. I can't really relate but I don't think it's worth crying over. Your parents aren't gonna just disppear or w/e. Talk to them on the phone or similar.

Because I liked it at school, that's pretty much the reason. And I wasn't sure what else I might have wanted to do. I was almost going to have a gap year but decided to apply mainly because all my friends were which is a crap reason I know :/. I do generally like biology but I just can't see myself doing it as a career. There's forensics which I'm really into but there's literally no jobs in it now. I'm closer to my parents than I am to anyone in the world, I know that sounds stupid but we've been through so much the past 10 years and idk :/.
I feel the same. I'm not sure what I'm doing. There are a lot of people I met during my gap year working near home who I care a lot about. and if I'd known that I'd make friends there I wouldn't have left, I think, because I don't really know how to talk to other people. and I'm not sure why I'm doing this subject or what I'm going to do with it, although it seems to be/have been the only thing I enjoy/ed. So if you want to talk, you can message me. I would advise that you do wait for a bit, and that you talk to someone first, like your supervisor or something. or the open door people, like they tell you to. (and I'm at York too)
Reply 11
I dropped out of uni last week after being there for 2 and a half weeks. I pressured myself into going this year because of the fee rise next year when actually I wanted a gap year this year. I also got incredibly homesick as I was about 4 hours from home. I'd give it at least a week of your course being started before making your decision, but I don't regret coming home at all and I plan to apply to unis closer to home next year :smile: (looking at winchester which is an hour away)
Good Luck!
Reply 12
Original post by ECousins1
I dropped out of uni last week after being there for 2 and a half weeks. I pressured myself into going this year because of the fee rise next year when actually I wanted a gap year this year. I also got incredibly homesick as I was about 4 hours from home. I'd give it at least a week of your course being started before making your decision, but I don't regret coming home at all and I plan to apply to unis closer to home next year :smile: (looking at winchester which is an hour away)
Good Luck!

Hi thanks. I'm pretty much decided that I want to pack up and come home but I don't know what I'm supposed to do to drop out at all! I don't know who to contact at all or anything
Reply 13
Give it a month or two (or three). You may settle down.
Reply 14
I honestly feel the same way, I believe that I chosen not entirely what i love, however I needed 1 year to realize, you should give at least few months. If you are given free tuition, this might need to be payed if you will leave too late.
All hostilites/boarders feel the same as you initially. It will only get better from now on. Life is learning through experiences. If you have lived in a bubble, than now its time to get out and embrace the world and learn how to live like a "stranger in a strange land". Relax and focus on making friends and learning from them.
I'm at York too and feeling very homesick! It's much harder than I thought :frown: I know what you mean about your course too- I got rejected from the subject I wanted to do but was offered an alternate. As all my other choices rejected me I had to take the alternate but as much as I try it doesn't interest me.
I also want to drop out.

I've been here 5 weeks and I've wanted to drop out since I got here but thought I should give it a while. However I still, 5-6 weeks later, feel miserable and unhappy and just really don't want to be here - so I think having given it a chance, I should drop out.

I've realised a few things since I've gotten here and I think they're my reasons for dropping out:

I don't like intensive studying.

I don't really want to do a general Arts degree, I'd either like to go straight into work or do something more vocational.

I don't like having loads of classes a week, if I do want a degree I'd rather do something like Open Uni.

I can't carry on trying to function fully with depression and CFS, I do get tired and demotivated a lot more easily than the average person (or more easily than I used to).

I don't like being away from home.

I'm not actually that keen on Psychology as an academic subject.

I'm going home next week anyway so I'm going to discuss it properly with the parents (have already discussed it at length on the phone, but in person) and see how I feel at home before beginning the drop-out process when I come back up.

I have no idea of the procedures though. Off the top of my head I know I'd need to sort out officially dropping out of uni, accommodation, student finance, unapplying for DSA, travelling back down...what else?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd really wait longer than a week - I felt really homesick for 5 days or so but once i settled in, everything improved so much.

If you want to do teaching, you can always do another qualification after your biology degree rather than doing a teaching degree so it'd still be a possibility if you stuck at it.
Reply 19
Original post by ScarletBeads
I also want to drop out.

I've been here 5 weeks and I've wanted to drop out since I got here but thought I should give it a while. However I still, 5-6 weeks later, feel miserable and unhappy and just really don't want to be here - so I think having given it a chance, I should drop out.

I've realised a few things since I've gotten here and I think they're my reasons for dropping out:

I don't like intensive studying.

I don't really want to do a general Arts degree, I'd either like to go straight into work or do something more vocational.

I don't like having loads of classes a week, if I do want a degree I'd rather do something like Open Uni.

I can't carry on trying to function fully with depression and CFS, I do get tired and demotivated a lot more easily than the average person (or more easily than I used to).

I don't like being away from home.

I'm not actually that keen on Psychology as an academic subject.

I'm going home next week anyway so I'm going to discuss it properly with the parents (have already discussed it at length on the phone, but in person) and see how I feel at home before beginning the drop-out process when I come back up.

I have no idea of the procedures though. Off the top of my head I know I'd need to sort out officially dropping out of uni, accommodation, student finance, unapplying for DSA, travelling back down...what else?

I did drop out in the end, got back home at like 4am Saturday morning and it felt SO weird the next day. But after that I was so pleased to be back and the amount of relief was amazing, I know I've definitely done the right thing. It's hard to explain to people why but basically although I like biology, I didn't want a degree in it. I want to be working for a career now and I've started looking into nursing at my local uni which is something I have always been thinking about in the back of my mind. I just think nowadays we all get pressured into applying for uni and don't really think about it properly. 17 is far too young to choose what you want to do.

In terms of procedures I went and talked to my college dean the night I left. She told me I needed to get in touch with student services and my supervisor at uni and then student finance. Apparently because someone will most likely move into my room I'll not have to pay accommodation charges and I'm guessing student services will tell me about tuition charges.

Good luck and I hope everything works out well for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest