Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A good diet or not?

Announcements Posted on
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    just wondering - how tall are you and how tall are your parents?
    5'10" my parents are roughly 5'4"(mam) and 5'10"(dad).I am currently growing at a rate of 2.4 inches per year though but I doubt I will keep this up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie1985)
    the thing that convinced me to try eating this way was because of the simple fact that grains did not exist for 99% of the time we have been on this planet. So how can they be natural? There are a lot of studies that have been done on the matter. If u were to read The smarter science of slim, u would find loads of references. He does not endorse eating strictly paleo, recommends things like greek style yogurt can still be good for u, even though it wasnt around back in the day.
    I think that grains did exists, just not in a farmed way. Grasses are grains?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I get my fruit from yoghurts and I have beans quite a lot to make up for the lack of vegetables because I hate pretty much all other vegetables.
    Yoghurts don't count as one of your five a day. And you are supposed to eat a range of foods, to make sure you get all the required vits and minerals, including a good range of fruit or veg as different fruits give different things..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pappillon)
    I think that grains did exists, just not in a farmed way. Grasses are grains?!
    i dont think grasses are the same as grains, but i could be wrong. If they were eaten earlier in our evolution then they def werent eaten in the quantities consumed today.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can't be eating too much fat and be skinny and even if you were it wouldn't have any effect because you would still have less stored fat overall.
    You certainly can be, you can be eating too much fat but not enough calories. Anyway, the most life threatening kind of fat is that which you cannot see from looking a the outside of a person. It's the fat that builds up around the organs which is does more damage. And skinny people can have this kind of fat. They think it's linked to the amount of exercise you do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie1985)
    the thing that convinced me to try eating this way was because of the simple fact that grains did not exist for 99% of the time we have been on this planet. So how can they be natural? There are a lot of studies that have been done on the matter. If u were to read The smarter science of slim, u would find loads of references. He does not endorse eating strictly paleo, recommends things like greek style yogurt can still be good for u, even though it wasnt around back in the day.

I now dont eat any processed food, any food with added sugar or many starchy vegetables. I feel great because of it, and i know i will never get fat eating like this, plus i can eat as much as i want.

When i talk about the government i mean look at the guideline food pyramid that we are all meant to adhere to for a healthy diet. http://kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healt...d/pyramid.html an example, u dont think this quarter of the plate is to help fund the massive agriculture industry? when it is not really required at all

ps the only thing i was missing was peanut butter lol, but i made buns using flax seed instead of flour with it in it, delicious!

you might get fat....?? you did mention eat raw food or raw meat, cooking after we became human. Perhaps I'm wrong, I know there is a big debate, at least you might get fat if you eat alot of cooked food because cooking destoys vitamins, minerals, proteins. Is eating alot of raw food part of your thinking?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are people giving serious replies to this thread? If you can't spot such an obvious troll you shouldn't be allowed on the Internet.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mistermeowingtons)
    Why are people giving serious replies to this thread? If you can't spot such an obvious troll you shouldn't be allowed on the Internet.
    The sad thing is he's not trolling

I don't think it possible for someone to troll for this long. Just look at his post history.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pappillon)
    Yoghurts don't count as one of your five a day. And you are supposed to eat a range of foods, to make sure you get all the required vits and minerals, including a good range of fruit or veg as different fruits give different things..
    Yoghurts do count as one of your five a day:confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yoghurts do count as one of your five a day:confused:
    Nope, not even close. Unless you're talking about this http://www.nutraingredients.com/Indu...rt-range-in-UK , but that's been discontinued in the UK, so I guess not...
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Nope, not even close. Unless you're talking about this http://www.nutraingredients.com/Indu...rt-range-in-UK , but that's been discontinued in the UK, so I guess not...
    Beans count but Yoghurts don't.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Beans count but Yoghurts don't.
    Yes, so you're only having six portions of fruit and veg a week (less than one a day) when you should be having five. Get it?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    And most brands of baked beans have really high levels of salt and sugar, too. :rolleyes:
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Yes, so you're only having six portions of fruit and veg a week (less than one a day) when you should be having five. Get it?
    Vitamin Deficiency isn't a serious disease.You can get Vitamin tablets if you run low.I really don't understand why 5 a day is so important.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Vitamin Deficiency isn't a serious disease.You can get Vitamin tablets if you run low.I really don't understand why 5 a day is so important.
    Vitamin A deficiency causes xerophthalmia or night blindness
    Thiamine deficiency causes beriberi
    Niacin deficiency causes pellagra
    Vitamin B12 deficiency leads to megaloblastic anemia and subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord
    Vitamin C deficiency leads to scurvy
    Vitamin D deficiency causes rickets
    Vitamin K deficiency causes impaired coagulation
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Dead by 30.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Vitamin A deficiency causes xerophthalmia or night blindness
    Thiamine deficiency causes beriberi
    Niacin deficiency causes pellagra
    Vitamin B12 deficiency leads to megaloblastic anemia and subacute combined degeneration of spinal cord
    Vitamin C deficiency leads to scurvy
    Vitamin D deficiency causes rickets
    Vitamin K deficiency causes impaired coagulation
    I have already got anaemia.Most of these diseases are just unpleasant and aren't very dangerous.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have already got anaemia.
    One down six to go I suppose.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemicalBond)
    And most brands of baked beans have really high levels of salt and sugar, too. :rolleyes:
    I checked the Heinz packet and the salt and sugar levels weren't very high and sugar levels in fruit are very high and I do believe that beans is the tastiest healthy food in the world-It is very unusual for healthy foods to be tasty enough to eat.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    One down six to go I suppose.
    It is hereditary so I haven't just got it and Anaemia isn't serious at all-I didn't know I had it until my mam told me recently.
Updated: May 27, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.