The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm currently studying in Singapore and am planning on taking the tests. Would you care to explain what the tests were like? And like how the interviews were? Such as what kind of questions they asked etc?
Reply 401
Hi everyone! I am planning on applying to Sevenoaks and I just have a few questions to those who made it in.

First, in my last report card I got: 4 A*s', 5 As', and 1 B. I'm wondering, do I have any chance getting into Sevenoaks (btw, I am super bad at writing tests so I might flunk the entrance exams)? Do they expect better grades? :\

Secondly, what are the exams like? Since I haven't taken any of the IBDP courses, I have no idea what to prepare for.. was it difficult? and HOW exactly do you prepare for them?

Thirdly, do they expect me to be an all-around student (artistic, athletic, academic)? I am captain of a sports team at my school but that sport isn't available at Sevenoaks so I am not sure whether that will decrease my chance of getting in.

Lastly, how is life at Sevenoaks?

Sorry for the sudden burst of questions. I really would like to get into Sevenoaks since it's such a great school in all ways.
Thanks! But is it possible for anyone to tell me what kind of questions are posed to us during the entrance exam?
Hi,

I'm applying to Sevenoaks this year, and I just wanted to know how hard the entrance exams are? What type of questions are on the tests? I plan to take economics, biology, and chemistry as my three higher levels.

Thank you
:smile:
Original post by thirdcultureteen
Hi guys,

I took the standard and higher level mathematics exams a few days ago, and will be taking the English and Physics ones on Monday, so if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them :smile: I'm not going to tell you what the exact questions were though, so please don't ask me that. :/

Thircultureteen

Oh, are you an overseas student?

I'm going to do maths and english (and economics) as well - I think I'm most nervous about the maths. Did you find that you needed a lot of factual knowledge? In the preparation sheet they gave me, it said Higher Level Maths candidates are normally taking Additional Maths at GCSE, but my school doesn't offer it. Do you think it's necessary to know lots of factual maths (as opposed to more problem-solving, UKMT maths challenge type stuff)?
Hey there :smile:

Yes, I'm an overseas student. I'm assuming you are as well? Where are you currently studying?

Haha I'm the most nervous about English because I'm not sure about what they'll test us on. But for math, you don't really need factual knowledge. My school doesn't offer that either, because we don't do GCSE, but I'm taking an Honors course for Mathematics (highest level).

The questions are all rather simple, essentially. They can be a bit tricky, but once you figure out the solution, you'll think that it's super easy. Mostly, they just want to test you on your ability to manipulate numbers and such. They're designed so that you can answer them with the math you have already learned at school, even if you have not seen those questions before.

I couldn't figure out three questions during the exam, but I got them in like the last ten minutes when I started thinking more simply. One important thing is that you need to be careful. I realized afterwards that I got one question wrong because of my carelessness :frown:

Oh and btw you can't use a calculator in the higher level exam.

Oh ok, thanks :smile: Also what was the compulsory maths test like?

I'm not, actually, I call rainy England my home.

I'm nervous about the English too, but slightly less than maths just because there isn't really a right or wrong answer. In the preparation sheet it says we have to comment on books we read, which I'm most nervous about. Do you know which books you might write about?
I just took he sevenoaks tests a few days ago. I took math, math HL paper, English and economics. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them too! Like the first person, I won't tell the exact questions as well, but I'll do my best to answer the question :smile:
Ooh you live in England! That's so awesome! :smile:

Oh the standard mathematics test was quite alright. The questions were all pretty straightforward so the main thing to worry about would be carelessness.

I have the English on Monday O.o so I haven't had much time to prepare (I've mostly been preparing for physics because you guys learn different things from us in IGCSE). I think I'll be writing about the texts I've been reading in class, which would involve ancient Greek literature and some rather obscure war-related novels. What books do you think you'll write about?

Hardly, unless you want to live a life that involves rain, frost, hail, a shaft of sunlight, and more rain. :wink:

Oh ok. I wasn't sure, but I read Animal Farm and Madame Bovary over the summer, so maybe one of those? The only thing is I've been reading a non-fiction book these last couple of weeks, so I haven't read a novel in a while. We just stated To Kill a Mockingbird in school, so I could write about that as well I guess. We're only doing two books as part of the course (the other was An Inspecter Calls), so it doesn't really give me that many options.

They said it would be helpful to read some book reviews, so maybe that'll give us some ideas for what to write in the exam.
Original post by mywhitedog
I just took he sevenoaks tests a few days ago. I took math, math HL paper, English and economics. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them too! Like the first person, I won't tell the exact questions as well, but I'll do my best to answer the question :smile:

You're doing the same HLs as me! How did you find them? Were they very difficult?
Hey there!

If you took the exams already, then I'm guessing you're an overseas student? If you don't mind my asking, where do you currently study? (I'm really curious as to where most of the overseas applicants come from :smile:)

Also, would you mind telling me about how the English exam was? Were there many passages for you to read? Was it in multiple choice format? Is there enough time? Do you think that there's any way to prepare for it? Oh and did you need to comment on many books that you read (that's what it said on the preparation sheet) on their own or was it more of a compare and contrast thing?

Lol sorry, I seem to have bombarded you with questions...

Hi! Yup I'm an overseas student, I'm from Singapore. The English test was quite okay, and should just require some basic literature skills, and I managed to finish it about 15 mins early. Just a few essay question. I hope this helped! :smile:
Original post by MeiMei15401
You're doing the same HLs as me! How did you find them? Were they very difficult?

It wasn't THAT bad, quite average! :smile:
It wasn't THAT bad, quite average! :smile:

What kinds of questions were there in the Economics exam? Was it multiple choice?

And also did you have to comment on books you read in the English exam?
What kinds of questions were there in the Economics exam? Was it multiple choice?

And also did you have to comment on books you read in the English exam?

The economics test was testing logic, it was multiple choice. Reading widely will suffice as preparation for the English test
The economics test was testing logic, it was multiple choice. Reading widely will suffice as preparation for the English test

Ok, thank you!

What SLs are you going to do?
Ok, thank you!

What SLs are you going to do?

I was planning to do physics, geography and mandarin b for SL subjects! :smile:
I was planning to do physics, geography and mandarin b for SL subjects! :smile:

I was planning to do physics, history, and french b. :smile:
High 5 for Mandarin B! Not sure if Sevenoaks will let me though. Have you spoken to them about it? How long have you studied Mandarin?

Do they have a requirement to study a language?
Ooh same here for history! Virtual high five! :biggrin:

Haha :biggrin:

You said you were an overseas student, right? Can I ask where you're from?
Uh no not really. What I meant was because I've been studying Chinese for around ten years, they might not let me take it as language B.

Cool! I've been studying Mandarin for about 13 years but I'm terrible at it HAHA! Where are you from? :smile:
Original post by emily.michelle92
:smile:

Simon Langton Boys FTW, only non state school qualified to deal with DNA and have sent a cosmic ray detector up into space w/NASA

Majority go on to Russell Group Uni/ Oxbridge

reppin hard

Latest

Trending

Trending