The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Liverpool 2012 Applicants!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by forex
Thanks. It's ridiculous though.They have had my Questionnaire since early November. I'm worried that they will give me their decision after the UCAS deadline of choosing firm/insurance choice. Thus they obviously will tell me to pay International fees. I know this happened to a couple of people at Manchester, Exeter and Kings College London.

Oh I hope they don't do that! Honestly that'd just be a dick move. They've had mine since early November too :/
I can't choose firm and insurance right now anyway because I still haven't heard from one uni - Leeds! So annoying!! :angry:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 241
Original post by GloriaPenguin
Oh I hope they don't do that! Honestly that'd just be a dick move. They've had mine since early November too :/
I can't choose firm and insurance right now anyway because I still haven't heard from one uni - Leeds! So annoying!! :angry:

Let's just hope they're not playing hard to get... So what course have you applied to then?
Reply 242
Hi. Anyone thinking of living at Mulberry Court next year? A 4th person is required in a 4 bedroom flat share in the ground floor Chaplaincy Flat at Mulberry Court for July 2012/June 2013. Sharing with 3 girls; 2 zoology students and a geography student. Small Room at £55 per week, ALL BILLS INCLUDED, £150 deposit required by agent (Wavertree Property Link). Living area, bathroom, kitchen etc. Very central location, opposite Liverpool Met Cathedral, right next to JMU campus and Uni of campus and University libraries. 10 minute walk into town down Mt Pleasant Street. Please contact me if you need any more info. Thanks.
Original post by forex
Let's just hope they're not playing hard to get... So what course have you applied to then?

Maths and Statistics. What about you? Also, where else have you applied? You thinking of making Liverpool your firm?
Reply 244
Maths and Statistics. What about you? Also, where else have you applied? You thinking of making Liverpool your firm?

Law and Business. Liverpool, Sheffield, Warwick, Glasgow and Aberdeen. Well after finishing my January modules lets just say I think i'll wait until March, then start choosing my choices :wink: What about you?
Reply 245
Original post by hali0112
Hey, I am a first year medical student and I am in Mulberry Court at the moment.

pros

very central to the uni buildings, the guild, the student bar - less than 5 minutes away
we have a laundrette
rent is £82.95 a week
self catered - if you learn to budget on your expenses you can save a lot of money
tesco, subways, greggs, costa five minutes away
sainsbury's is 10 minutes away
15 minutes walk into town centre and Liverpool one - shops, clubs, bars, restaurants etc
there are some small pubs very nearby if you like a quiet drink
kitchens and bathrooms cleaned 3 times a week
very popular due to location so if you are interested apply as soon as they take applications. I was a gappie so was very lucky in getting a room here!
most student accomodation at Liverpool are more expensive than mulberry court

cons

the buildings are old and the furnishings and fittings are dated.
small kitchens with little cupboard space
shared fridge - often struggle for space to fit all your stuff
shared bathrooms
have between 3 and 8 sharing a kitchen.

hope this helps. :smile:

thank you! :biggrin:
bathrooms are shared right? are they decent?
also, internet..is it wireless or old school and needs to be connected through wires?
nightlife any good?
sorry for the 21 questions!! :colondollar:
i'm a gappie too.. actually scrap that..i skipped 2 years and finally decided to apply and go into uni after traveling/working/chilling. so we're about the same age? feels strange seeing as most of my lectures will probably be full off 18yr olds. i feel ancient!
Original post by forex
Law and Business. Liverpool, Sheffield, Warwick, Glasgow and Aberdeen. Well after finishing my January modules lets just say I think i'll wait until March, then start choosing my choices :wink: What about you?

Leeds, Liverpool, Reading, Kent and Portsmouth! I'm gonna wait until after my mocks (I don't do modules, we just do final exams) to choose! But I'm leaning towards Reading being my insurance and Leeds or Liverpool being my firm, provided Leeds give me an offer :P
What subjects do you do? And how were your AS grades?
Original post by Beeebzy
also, internet..is it wireless or old school and needs to be connected through wires?
nightlife any good?
i'm a gappie too.. actually scrap that..i skipped 2 years and finally decided to apply and go into uni after traveling/working/chilling. so we're about the same age? feels strange seeing as most of my lectures will probably be full off 18yr olds. i feel ancient!

It's important that when you think of uni halls to not have too high standards. The better the accommodation the higher the price. Some of the private uni accomm charge up to £116 a week and they have fancy ensuites and everything is new and shiny. Mulberry court is quite old. It has all the basics though and the location is good. the furniture and fittings are quite old but it has everything you will need. The bathrooms are okay. They are shared. I share with 2 other girls which is nice. We keep it fairly clean. You can ask to share with all girls if you like if that is important for you. Some flats are very messy but I guess it depends who you end up living with. There is wifi in the rooms and the wired internet access too. I love the night life. I am from London where everything was really expensive and in Liverpool drinks are cheap and you don't need much for a great night out. There are so many student clubs and bars for different tastes. Liverpool has a great night life! One of the best in the north! :biggrin:

I do medicine - and there is a lot of gap year students on my course so I don't feel that old. But I don't know if it's the same with other courses. There will be a lot of 18 year olds but age stops being an issue when you get to uni. From the fact that you asked about the night life shows that you like to go out and that is a good thing at uni. That's all that most first years want to do and it's a great way to meet new people at the beginning. Feel free to ask me as many questions as you want, I will do my best to help!!! :smile:
Reply 248
Leeds, Liverpool, Reading, Kent and Portsmouth! I'm gonna wait until after my mocks (I don't do modules, we just do final exams) to choose! But I'm leaning towards Reading being my insurance and Leeds or Liverpool being my firm, provided Leeds give me an offer :P
What subjects do you do? And how were your AS grades?

Biology, Chemistry and Economics. ABBb. I'm sure Leeds will give you an offer. Good luck on your A levels and I hope you get into your first choice!
Reply 249
Original post by hali0112
It's important that when you think of uni halls to not have too high standards. The better the accommodation the higher the price. Some of the private uni accomm charge up to £116 a week and they have fancy ensuites and everything is new and shiny. Mulberry court is quite old. It has all the basics though and the location is good. the furniture and fittings are quite old but it has everything you will need. The bathrooms are okay. They are shared. I share with 2 other girls which is nice. We keep it fairly clean. You can ask to share with all girls if you like if that is important for you. Some flats are very messy but I guess it depends who you end up living with. There is wifi in the rooms and the wired internet access too. I love the night life. I am from London where everything was really expensive and in Liverpool drinks are cheap and you don't need much for a great night out. There are so many student clubs and bars for different tastes. Liverpool has a great night life! One of the best in the north! :biggrin:

I do medicine - and there is a lot of gap year students on my course so I don't feel that old. But I don't know if it's the same with other courses. There will be a lot of 18 year olds but age stops being an issue when you get to uni. From the fact that you asked about the night life shows that you like to go out and that is a good thing at uni. That's all that most first years want to do and it's a great way to meet new people at the beginning. Feel free to ask me as many questions as you want, I will do my best to help!!! :smile:

God tell me about it! London is so damn pricey with everything!
Ah yay another londoner too! :smile:
Diversity wise..is Liverpool mixed?
I've applied to do Psychology with a foundation year, so at the interview I was told that a majority of the candidates would be early/late 20s and I was considered 'young' - so it should be ok I think!! :smile:
Original post by Beeebzy
God tell me about it! London is so damn pricey with everything!
Ah yay another londoner too! :smile:
Diversity wise..is Liverpool mixed?
I've applied to do Psychology with a foundation year, so at the interview I was told that a majority of the candidates would be early/late 20s and I was considered 'young' - so it should be ok I think!! :smile:

Definitely! :smile: There are people from all parts of the country and from different backgrounds. I have met people from newcastle, manchester, birmingham, oxford, jersey etc etc and plus international students from all over the world. It's incredible! I have learnt so much about other cities. Even though London is pretty multi-cultural, I went to an all girls grammar school which wasn't very diverse. so going to uni and meeting so many different people is great for me! Liverpudlians are also very friendly!! people seem very friendly in the north. the mix of accents of people I know is just amazing. There are so many people at uni, so you will meet people that you will click with and get on with. one of the guys in my halls is 26. he feels he has grown out of clubbing and just likes to go to the pub. has found other people that he has stuff in common with and has made friends. he's a lot older than 18... so you'll be fine! :biggrin:
I received my offer for law today.

The offer letter states they want AAA ... i dont think i can achieve that. Will they accept A*AB in lieu of AAA? (My offer letter doesnt specifically state 360 points across 3 alevels/A*AB though.) :s-smilie:
Reply 252
Offer for Politics :biggrin:
AAB... Should get that fingers crossed! :biggrin: Does anyone have any ideas on the accommodation they are applying for? And is anyone going to the accommodation open day on Feb 18th?
GCSE: AABBBBCCC
AS: ABBD (MEDIA,MATHEMATICS,BUSINESS AND ENGLISH LIT)
A2 predictions: AAB
Course: MATHEMATICS AND BUSINESS STUDIES (GN11)
Why: REALLY LIKE THE CITY AND THE UNIVERSITY
Choices: LIVERPOOL, MANCHESTER, CHESTER AND ABER
Original post by Beeebzy
nightlife any good?

I stayed in Philharmonic (1st year) and Mulberry (2nd year).

Philharmonic is all 1st years which makes for good nights out but can also make for some really bad nights in when you're trying to catch some sleep and there are pissed people outside singing or people in the room below having 'fun times' shall we say. Also, we had quite a few fire alarm incidents whereby we had to get up and stand outside in the cold at 2am in the morning because people were cooking and burning stuff.

Each flat has a senior student (3rd year) to resolve any problems which inevitably arise e.g. dirty kitchen/bathroom etc, they also help you in other ways like telling you directions to important places (the Guild etc). Some of the senior students have a superiority complex. Philharmonic itself is basic and the rooms are an adequate size - although one thing that I didn't like was the fact that my walls were breeze blocks painted in white - it looked like a prison cell :biggrin:. We also had mice in Philharmonic and we were on the top floor so God knows what it was like on the ground floor.

Basically, don't expect The Ritz - it's not the best accommodation but it's certainly not the worst. There are onsite washing machines/dryers and a porters office to collect mail. Unfortunately, if you want to hoover you room you have to walk to the Porters office and give them a deposit (about £1) and then drag a 'Henry Hoover' all the way back to your flat - which is irratating especially when you live on the top floor (as I did!!). But it's a gated community so it's not like you're walking past Tesco's dragging a Henry Hoover. Still, it's a bit hard to look cool when you see a course mate and you're dragging a hoover and a load of washing. They also decided to change the hinges on our doors midway through term. I came back after a lecture to find workmen in my room and my door missing. Came back later and I had a new hinge and a load of woodshavings on my floor. It happened to everyone in my flat.

Mulberry was a whole other story - it's a mixture of 2nd/3rd years and people doing MAs. Most of the people in Mulberry are international students. It's not party central. Mulberry accommodation is split in to a block of flats beside the gym and a set of houses tucked away on Mulberry Street. If you're put in the houses you aren't in a gated community and your washing machines are over the road within the other bit where you can also collect mail (by the uni gym) - but it's not too far.

I had quite a lot of problems in Mulberry - for example our boiler constantly broke and leaked brown water all over the worksurfaces and onto the floor. It stank to high heaven and we couldn't use the warm water for much of the time. Also, the fridge leaked. A couple of people in my house kept wedging the back door open with a chair so anyone could come in - when I was in lectures there was nothing I could do about it.
Other houses did this too and people had laptops stolen because of it. There were 2 bathrooms for 7 of us - 1 on the bottom floor and one on the middle floor but the one on the middle floor only had a bath, no shower and the toilet was in a seperate room. So basically, 7 people were using one bathroom on the bottom floor. The bathroom was disgusting - the shower head fell off and no one fixed it for 2 weeks, the floor was contantly soaking wet and the walls were peeling.

Also, there was building work directly outside - very loud drilling. No one notified us prior and it went on for 3 months. The drilling started at 8am. They also do room checks and I found it quite annoying when the woman told me I couldn't have a kettle in my room - but I wasn't putting in dowstairs were there were rats and a leaking boiler. Oh and when the boiler was being fixed they sent workmen to bleed the radiators in our rooms and they gave them keys for the rooms incase we weren't in - without notifiying us. I was awoken at 9am by a man in my room. Funny in hinsight but I was livid at the time.

There is also a club/bar directly outside Mulberry and the room windows are only single pane glass (which makes it freezing in winter - especially when they place the beds next to the window and the boiler doesn't work!) - so you can hear pissed people shouting and screaming in the early hours.
There are rats - I saw quite a few outside the front door and the porters/cleaners were aware of it. When the builders were drilling I saw one of them kill one with a metal tube.

There were bugs in the bathrooms - I don't know if they were cockroaches but they were brown and had 'pincey' things sticking out of their heads.

Basically, unless you have very little money, I wouldn't bother with Mulberry - it was grim. Philharmonic isn't much better but at least you can have a laugh with 1st years to take your mind off it - in Mulberry it's just dead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 255
I have an offer for Liverpool and so I'm going to an applicant visit day. Unfortunately, i probably can't go to an accommodation tour day and i missed the open days.

I looked on the accommodation on the Liverpool website but didn't get enough info out of it. Philharmonic court doesn't even load up.
Can anyone tell me how many of the halls are actually available for 1st years who want self-catering and en-suite rooms?

Also, if you don't mind, can you share your opinions on the halls whether you have just visited or if you have actually lived in them?
Reply 256
Offer for diagnostic radiography :biggrin: anyone going to the open day on 14th March?
Original post by ellie32
Offer for diagnostic radiography :biggrin: anyone going to the open day on 14th March?

I am! Although my offer is for English and Hispanic Studies...
GCSE: AABCC
AS: AABB (English Language, English Literature, Psychology, Drama)
A2 predictions: AAB
Course: English
Why: Loved it on open day, seems really friendly, staff seem really enthusiastic, and also love the city!
Choices: Liverpool, Lancaster (choosing between these as a firm choice), Sussex, Roehampton and Essex (want this to be my insurance choice).
Did anyone else applying for English go to the open day on the 7th December?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending