The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2012!!

Scroll to see replies

Made York my firm for sociology and criminology, just haven't really got a clue about which college is best! x
University of York
York
Reply 1081
I got an email a few weeks ago from York asking for additional information, haven't heard back from them since! But then again, the deadline for the reply is 24th. Should I be worried about that? Did anyone else get an email like that?
I mean, I tried to be positive and took it as a sign of interest! If they didn't like me I probably would have gotten an automatic rejection.
It just makes me really nervous :/
Unconditional for chemsitry :biggrin:
Been along for an open day today. Thought it was really good.
I went to the open day today as well, loved the University and think I am going to firm it this week.

Was anybody else their today for economics?
Reply 1085
Original post by Benny100
I went to the open day today as well, loved the University and think I am going to firm it this week.

No, but I will be next week. What did you think of the economics department? I'm deciding between Birmingham and York.
Reply 1086

Yeah i was! :smile:
Original post by BiscuitTin
Hi!
I also applied for English Lit and History and got a conditional offer just after Christmas. I'm still waiting for THREE other universities though. When I saw your post I thought I'd just let you know but I really don't think it means anything.
I see no reason why they'd let rejections know later than offers or vice versa so I suppose no one really knows for sure until they know for sure.:smile: I'm an Irish applicant so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Congratulations on your offer :smile: though it must be frustrating to still be waiting for three. Which place is your favourite?

Do you mind me asking when you applied?
Original post by agoetcherian
Congratulations on your offer :smile: though it must be frustrating to still be waiting for three. Which place is your favourite?

Do you mind me asking when you applied?

I'm not sure of the exact date but I applied early-ish October. I think Edinburgh will be my first choice. As I live outside the UK but inside the EU I won't have to pay fees if I study in Scotland and that's hard to ignore :smile:

I do wish I could visit York though to get a feel for it but that's not really an option for me.
Reply 1089
Which college is everyone applying for? And your reasons for choosing it? I was going to choose Alcuin but then they told us that the lectures and lessons are spread around the campus so there is no point just picking a college near the department.
Original post by maitai
I got an email a few weeks ago from York asking for additional information, haven't heard back from them since! But then again, the deadline for the reply is 24th. Should I be worried about that? Did anyone else get an email like that?

I'm currently at York, and I think I got asked for additional stuff as well. It ended up being my last offer to come through! It's absolutely nothing to worry about. As you said, try and stay positive about it, there's no point getting worried; there are so many applications to go through, but the fact that they've asked for more information is def not a bad sign!

As for everyone thinking about colleges, it's good to try and have a nosey at them when/if you come up. Goodricke, Halifax and Alcuin are the nice fancy ones, but there will be a new Langwith next year too! Derwent, James and Vanbrugh are less fancy, but fine. Each has something different to offer - if you want somewhere really nice, go for Goodricke, but it is pretty quiet on Hes East. Langwith will move there next year, so that will cheer things up a bit. If you want somewhere on campus, in the middle of things and close to everything, go for Vanbrugh or Derwent. Alcuin would be a good compromise.

And there's no such thing as a quiet college! I saw someone somewhere say that Alcuin is pretty quiet - it's not, there's a different party there every week! That's not to say that you will have a wild flat or block though!
Reply 1091

Yes I was there yesterday, I stayed overnight on the Tuesday so I had time to look around the city centre which I was extremely impressed with but I have to say, I was disappointed with the Open Day
Not only did the folder contain a lot of useless information, the talk was also a bit useless as well. The folder of information contains a lot of printouts from the University site which I found really pointless.

I was also extremely disappointed with the accommodation that we went to see in Vanbrugh, not sure if this is representative of the whole University but it did put me of majorly as before I came to the open day I was thinking of putting it as insurance but now I am leaning towards Edinburgh instead.

I'm glad I went to the Open day though, otherwise I wouldn't know it wasn't for me.
Reply 1092
Anyone going to the offer-holder visit day on 21 march?
Reply 1093
Original post by natalierose
I'm currently at York, and I think I got asked for additional stuff as well. It ended up being my last offer to come through! It's absolutely nothing to worry about. As you said, try and stay positive about it, there's no point getting worried; there are so many applications to go through, but the fact that they've asked for more information is def not a bad sign!

Okay, good. Thanks! Reading that calmed me down a little bit.
They asked for like past grades and what not that I hadn't actually specified on my application (I was a bit scared that the universities would be put off by them if i'm honest! :biggrin:)
I'll try to stay positive though, at least it wasn't an automatic rejection. Hopefully the end result will be good!
Reply 1094
Got an conditional offer for Archaeology at York:smile:
Got an offer for Maths yesterday after putting in my app in October. No email about open days or anything though just popped up on UCAS. Do York post things or email them mostly?
Reply 1096
Unconditional for chemsitry :biggrin:

Seriously? How did the interview go? I have one on Monday. :P
Reply 1097
Original post by Darkarium
No email about open days or anything though just popped up on UCAS. Do York post things or email them mostly?

I'm wondering this aswell, anyone know?
Declining my offer for Law...
Reply 1099
Original post by Darkarium
Got an offer for Maths yesterday after putting in my app in October. No email about open days or anything though just popped up on UCAS. Do York post things or email them mostly?

I had a Maths offer a while back, they sent me a few letters in the post, one from the University, one from the Maths department. They arrived about a week after i had the offer, but they tell you everything about open days etc on them.

Quick Reply

Latest