University of York
York

York Applicants 2012!!

Scroll to see replies

Finally got my You@York login!
University of York
York
Original post by quirkyoptimist
Accommodation confuses me... do you choose a college? Or does it choose you? There was something about receiving a joining e-mail so that you can apply online, but when does that get sent? Oh, and also, even the maximum maintenance loan JUST covers standard rent, but doesn't leave much for anything else...

Anyone else having a massive panic over this too, by any chance? :s-smilie: :eek::eek4:

Hey,
I'm currently at York. You apply for a college of your choice - you're not guaranteed to get it, but most people do. You will hear something soon. Don't let it worry you, it took a while to come through last year, but it will!
Rent is expensive, but it's the same at any uni. York have quite a good bursary system, which will give you some extra money. I'm catered at the moment, it's extra on the rent and works out about the same as doing my own food shop each week. Don't panic. There are plenty of student jobs in York, if you need one. The majority of my friends don't have one. I work over the holidays. We don't start until mid-October so plenty of time to get a job at home too :-)
Hope that helps.
Original post by sarahwarahbarah
I got an offer. I'm sorry to hear that :frown:

its okay going to royal holloway did you aply for sociology with criminology?
Original post by Neelambri
its okay going to royal holloway did you aply for sociology with criminology?

No, I applied for English in Education.
Reply 1324
I'll be firming York for LLB Law over the weekend. Anyone that's firmed, what will I need to do after that in regards to York/ uni in general? Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 1325
Original post by Orochi42
I'll be firming York for LLB Law over the weekend. Anyone that's firmed, what will I need to do after that in regards to York/ uni in general? Thanks a lot :smile:

You won't actually need to do anything but get your grades, as far as I'm aware! You should probably see if you can apply for accommodation at your insurance, as I know that York's application system doesn't open until August, but other than that.... it's focus on fulfilling the conditions. :smile:

I've been sadly neglecting this thread... Going for English/Linguistics and have firmed York, as is now obvious! Anyone else for English or Linguistics, or both? ^^
Original post by Nadindi
You won't actually need to do anything but get your grades, as far as I'm aware! You should probably see if you can apply for accommodation at your insurance, as I know that York's application system doesn't open until August, but other than that.... it's focus on fulfilling the conditions. :smile:

I've been sadly neglecting this thread... Going for English/Linguistics and have firmed York, as is now obvious! Anyone else for English or Linguistics, or both? ^^

Hey, potential course mate! :biggrin: I still haven't made up my mind yet, trying to decide between York, Sussex and Glasgow. I am currently favouring York, though. The course just looks so fantastic! Have you visited the university?
Reply 1327
Original post by skimbleshanks
Hey, potential course mate! :biggrin: I still haven't made up my mind yet, trying to decide between York, Sussex and Glasgow. I am currently favouring York, though. The course just looks so fantastic! Have you visited the university?

Hi there! :biggrin: English/Linguistics too, or just one or the other? ^^

I would definitely choose York out of the three you're torn between... Bias aside, I've visited Sussex and personally didn't like it in the slightest, even though it's only about 45 minutes away from me. The campus is aesthetically depressing, and I just wasn't that impressed.

Glasgow I can't really comment on, but I've visited York and was really impressed by all of the talks, and the campus isn't particularly beautiful, but the lake is brilliant and everything actually looked lovely anyway because it was really sunny! The course is absolutely brilliant too, which is of course the main thing. :smile:
Original post by Nadindi
Hi there! :biggrin: English/Linguistics too, or just one or the other? ^^

I would definitely choose York out of the three you're torn between... Bias aside, I've visited Sussex and personally didn't like it in the slightest, even though it's only about 45 minutes away from me. The campus is aesthetically depressing, and I just wasn't that impressed.

Glasgow I can't really comment on, but I've visited York and was really impressed by all of the talks, and the campus isn't particularly beautiful, but the lake is brilliant and everything actually looked lovely anyway because it was really sunny! The course is absolutely brilliant too, which is of course the main thing. :smile:

English/Linguistics :smile: As I said, York is currently my favourite, too. However, since I'm an EU applicant, I wouldn't have to pay any tuition fees in Glasgow (and the university is soooo gorgeous). Plus, the course is longer and more flexible. But basically, what it comes down to is whether or not the pros of studying at York (the course, the academic reputation, the campus/college system) outweigh financial considerations... Needless to say, I'm in a bit of a dilemma :frown:
I'll be visiting all three universities next month, so hopefully that will make things clearer.
Reply 1329
Hi, does anyone know how to find out your Student ID number or York ID number?
Original post by currya
Hi, does anyone know how to find out your Student ID number or York ID number?

We don't have an ID number or something like that (they use your UCAS number to identify you) but if you mean your login details for You@York then that will come by email, but it can take a little while after you've got your offer for it to arrive.
Original post by emmaaa88
Just got an offer for PPE! :smile:

Congrats on the offfer!!! PPE York is my firm, might see ya next year
If you don't mind me asking, what are your GCSE/A levels like?
Reply 1332
What accommodation does everyone like the most?
I really want Goodricke but I'm wondering if that is really popular?
If not then I like Alcuin and Halifax :smile:
Reply 1333
GCSE's: BC, C, C, C D, D, D.

A-Levels: ABB

Unconditional Offer: Genetics

Also Applied to:

Dundee: Unconditional: Biomedical
Aberdeen: Unconditional: Biomedical
Hull: Unconditional: Biomedical
Cardiff: Unsuccessful: Biomedical
Reply 1334
Help! Trying to decide between York and Royal holloway for History, any fellow historians fancy suggesting any advice, pros/cons etc, would be much appreciated!! :smile:
Reply 1335
Original post by Hudders
Help! Trying to decide between York and Royal holloway for History, any fellow historians fancy suggesting any advice, pros/cons etc, would be much appreciated!! :smile:

Did you go to a post offer open day? Because that really sold it for me because the course looks fantastic on paper but the way the staff spoke about it just sold it even more. York is renowned for the strength of its history degree whereas Royal Holloway is a good uni but doesn't have the same sort of prestiege in terms of the subject (I know this stuff shouldn't matter as much but reputations stem from fact at the end of the day).

RHUL was actually my insurance last year (albeit for psychology so I can't help much about their course) but when I visited, I was put off by just how empty the area was. Egham just seemed totally deserted and with nothing to do, not even just in terms of nightlife, whereas York is still a small city but definitely seems to have enough to keep someone entertained no matter what they're in to.
Original post by fiona_x
Did you go to a post offer open day? Because that really sold it for me because the course looks fantastic on paper but the way the staff spoke about it just sold it even more. York is renowned for the strength of its history degree whereas Royal Holloway is a good uni but doesn't have the same sort of prestiege in terms of the subject (I know this stuff shouldn't matter as much but reputations stem from fact at the end of the day).

RHUL was actually my insurance last year (albeit for psychology so I can't help much about their course) but when I visited, I was put off by just how empty the area was. Egham just seemed totally deserted and with nothing to do, not even just in terms of nightlife, whereas York is still a small city but definitely seems to have enough to keep someone entertained no matter what they're in to.

You say that, but when I was there I failed to spot any bars or clubs. I know there are some and I didn't really know WHERE to look, but they seemed very sparse.
Reply 1337
Original post by Historophilia
We don't have an ID number or something like that (they use your UCAS number to identify you) but if you mean your login details for You@York then that will come by email, but it can take a little while after you've got your offer for it to arrive.

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 1338
Original post by fiona_x

Yeah i've visited both and thought that would help me decided but i found myself liking both! Both the courses vary but i like them both, and i agree about the surrounding area because York was beautiful, although Founders building and the campus and RHUL was also appealing even if Egham was somewhat disappointing.
I am pretty sure my parents want me to go to RHUL purely because its 4 hours closer than York but obviously i don't want this to affect my decision, as it is mine after all!
I think i am swaying more towards York but it seems like such a hugh decision to make i can't bring myself to firm it on UCAS because as soon as i convince myself i end up looking at royal holloway again! Such a kerfuffle!
Reply 1339
I got an offer from York!^^ I'm sooo happy!

I want to ask about the accommodation: I will get my results in June. Does anybody knows long will it take for the uni to confirm it (a week or 2 weeks after I have send them my results?) and do u think I will be able to apply for accommodation in June or I will have to wait until August? Many thanks!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending