The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Applicants 2012!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Hi there everyone. Got my results, got the grades I wanted and now I understand on Monday I have to upgrade my account? I have just been on the phone to one of the IT and they have sorted out my account so I can upgrade it.

I understand on Wednesday that I have to apply for accommodation - where can I research where I should stay? Is everyone else going to apply for accommodation then or have some people done it already? Or is this only people with unconditional?

I'm really confused, I never thought I'd get into York uni so I never did the research as I thought it would just be a tease in case I didn't get the grades, please help!

Where can I find out wheres good and wheres not? When do I chose what college to join?
University of York
York
Reply 1461
Original post by JodiieK
Have to agree, from being a second year the system isn't very fair as they put aside rooms for each set of emails are sent out, so I'd watch your emails like a hawk and once you get it run to the nearest computer and apply xD I say this because my friend missed out of Goodricke by 5 minutes!

5 min! :eek: omg, what a competition! :biggrin:

Yeah, as soon as you get the email apply for accommodation as fast as it is possible. On the other hand, I must admit that right after I confirmed my choice of room and have everything done I started panicking, questions popking out like 'what the hell have I done?!', 'did I choose the correct one?!' etc, it's just crazy and I applied in like a minute just to secure to get the room. But be very careful with choosing! Other than that, good luck everyone! :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1462
Original post by Antonton
Hi there everyone. Got my results, got the grades I wanted and now I understand on Monday I have to upgrade my account? I have just been on the phone to one of the IT and they have sorted out my account so I can upgrade it.

I understand on Wednesday that I have to apply for accommodation - where can I research where I should stay? Is everyone else going to apply for accommodation then or have some people done it already? Or is this only people with unconditional?

I'm really confused, I never thought I'd get into York uni so I never did the research as I thought it would just be a tease in case I didn't get the grades, please help!

Where can I find out wheres good and wheres not? When do I chose what college to join?

Hi! First of all, congratulation on getting the place! :biggrin:

Yeah, I know that in the following days you're gonna be very busy with enrollment and accommodation and this will be nerve-wracking for sure.

Here you have all important dates about what is going to happen and what you will have to do: Application Dates - Accommodation

So yeah, first you have to upgrade your account to gave the full access to your timetable, accommodation application etc. And then when the particular day comes you will get an email with all the instructions about accommodation. Apply for room as fast as possible to get the room you want. Some people were able to apply earlier because they had York as unconditional firm before 10th August so they could apply for accommodation on 6th August, but worry not, you should all still have a full range of room available in all colleges.

About choosing which college, well this depends on what you want. Think about what you want in your room, maybe you want it to be catered, or be ensuited etc. Think about location as well. Generally look here; University of York - Colleges Narrow down to two or three choices and then you can ask more precise questions to students who lived there before.

Hope any of this helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1463
Got my grades, missed the offer by 1 but they still let me in!
Reply 1464
Original post by thetobbit
Got my grades, missed the offer by 1 but they still let me in!

Congrats! :biggrin: Good luck with accommodation!
no
(edited 11 years ago)
no
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MPN
Hi! Congratulation for getting in! :smile:

I was one of those who got to choose the accommodation on 6th August (I also chose New Vanbrugh btw :wink: ) and as far as I know uni released only few rooms from each college and it should have saved a lot more for those applying on 20th August (or else that would be very unfair for you) so I wouldn't worry so much, I'm sure there should be still a full set of rooms available in each college for you BUT you must apply for it as soon as you get the email with all the instructions. However, the system will choose randomly emails, so you actually have no idea when exactly you may get it, but keep looking for it. I got mine very fast and so far everyone got theirs very quick too and this year the system is working better in the previous year or so I have heard.

Good luck, we may end in the same college :biggrin:

Lucky you, glad you managed to get a room there. I've been through the application process now and I got the room I wanted, too, so I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing. I do believe we are now officially in the same college :smile:.
Reply 1468
Original post by Gordian519
Lucky you, glad you managed to get a room there. I've been through the application process now and I got the room I wanted, too, so I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing. I do believe we are now officially in the same college :smile:.

That's great, congrats to you too! Which block are you then? Btw, keep looking for Vanbrugh's frechers tickets/wristbands, they are supposed to be released soon :smile:
Thanks MPN :smile:. I'm in the Barbara Scott Court, flat F7. Are you nearby?

Oh, thanks for letting me know. Are these freshers tickets and wristbands for all the clubbing and stuff during freshers week? I have no idea what social events are taking place, but I'm likely to avoid anything that includes alcohol and partying.

Also, do you happen to know whether or not the university permits sleepovers? I was wondering whether or not it would be okay for my girlfriend to stay over on a weekend.
Reply 1470
Thanks MPN :smile:. I'm in the Barbara Scott Court, flat F7. Are you nearby?

Oh, thanks for letting me know. Are these freshers tickets and wristbands for all the clubbing and stuff during freshers week? I have no idea what social events are taking place, but I'm likely to avoid anything that includes alcohol and partying.

Also, do you happen to know whether or not the university permits sleepovers? I was wondering whether or not it would be okay for my girlfriend to stay over on a weekend.

Yep, we are pretty close then, I'm in Donald Barron Court, flat A7 :smile:

I know what you mean, I'm not too much into partying and drinking either :tongue: But I will try to attend any other events as much as it is possible. These tickets/wristbands will give you access to all events, such as movie/quiz nights, entry to pubs/clubs and more. I'm also waiting to see the full list of events first to see if it's worth buying at all.

Sleepovers? I heard that many people do that and it's ok as long as it's just for 2-3 days max. You should be fine :wink:

I was wondering about this and it must be fine! Unless you kept someone there for weeks I'm sure they'll turn a blind eye. Or I hope they will anyway :tongue:
Reply 1472

The website says it's 2/3 nights but I've known people who have stayed over for a week or so. As long as your house mates are okay with it then you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by MPN
Yep, we are pretty close then, I'm in Donald Barron Court, flat A7 :smile:

I know what you mean, I'm not too much into partying and drinking either :tongue: But I will try to attend any other events as much as it is possible. These tickets/wristbands will give you access to all events, such as movie/quiz nights, entry to pubs/clubs and more. I'm also waiting to see the full list of events first to see if it's worth buying at all.

Sleepovers? I heard that many people do that and it's ok as long as it's just for 2-3 days max. You should be fine :wink:

Harharhar, perhaps I will see you wandering around then one day, and recognise the familiar aura of a fellow TSR member :biggrin:.

Ahhh, thank-you for explaining that. Movie and quiz nights don't sound so bad! Your plan of action is smart, though. I hope they are worth buying, it should be a good way to meet new people and make the whole settling in period less awkward. I hope nobody thinks alcohol avoiders are antisocial.

Brilliant, thank-you yet again :smile:!

Original post by DemolitionLovers
I was wondering about this and it must be fine! Unless you kept someone there for weeks I'm sure they'll turn a blind eye. Or I hope they will anyway :tongue:

Mmmm, I was thinking along similar lines. All the other universities I investigated allowed sleepovers :smile:.

Original post by JodiieK
The website says it's 2/3 nights but I've known people who have stayed over for a week or so. As long as your house mates are okay with it then you'll be fine :smile:

They put that on the website? I had no idea! Thank-you for the confirmation, it takes a small worry off my mind :smile:.
Hey everyone!

I just got an offer from York to study PPE!

My conditional is two As at Scottish Advanced Highers, one of them being in Advanced Maths!
Reply 1475
Congratulations! How long did it take after you sent your Ucas for them to come back with an offer?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest