The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yep. I was bullied. University's just like school really. If you're "different", you're going to get picked on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Fair dos - to a degree though, that house was just plain toxic. It's like they fed off their mutual desire to get one over each other, and they had this mutual girl on their course that for whatever reason, they all didn't like. They preceded to go onto her facebook, tearing apart every status, making fun of her for anything she said, going through her pictures to point out what they didn't like. They then decided to download the script for her film composition - and read it through bitching about the entire thing.

Suffice to say, I don't actually want anything to do with them. I'm sure it's all very different in the female perspective and so you've grown a tolerance to it, but the level of primal hierarchy is unreal :lolwut:

They sound like weirdoes. Seriously, not all girls are like that. I lived with four girls in my 3rd year and it was totally fine.
Reply 42
Generally, no, at least not in the same way as in school. Yes, there are a few people who never really grow up and continue bitching but tbh they usually end up looking like an outcast and are subsequently ignored.

That said, there may well be some serious bullying going on but nothing I've ever witnessed. Most people seem to stick to snide remarks and a few derogatory glances and I've never really seen it go further than that.
Most uni students aren't immature enough to go out of their way to bully,(if they do, they're the ones who will be ignored and outcasted as it's a sad thing to do) but people do bitch and have their opinions of people
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
for a group of girls to consistently do it to one individual on a repeated basis is bordering on harassment, and that's a criminal activity.

Er, no, it's not. It's bordering on harassment if they take it outside the classroom taking it upon themselves to follow her around when she's made it clear that she doesn't want them to - i.e. verbal assault.

It is not a 'criminal activity' to ruthlessly tear into someone else's dress sense at home :facepalm:

And yes, again, you're all going to think you're all little angels who participate' on normal levels'. The fact is, you're all in on it, and as soon as you're the one's being called out on it, 'of course' it's not you isn't it :rolleyes:

You're just as much a vulture as the rest of them.
I would. I didn't find my third year place until about a week and a half or so ago, and so stayed at a friend's house on an inflatable bed in the meantime to go to classes. The house consisted of 4 girls and believe me - they spend every minute of every day bitching about other girls, bitching about each other, bitching about something they saw on TV, bitching about the X-Factor, bitching about someone else's dress sense, bitching about boys, bitching about ex boyfriends etc. etc.

In the end I was so glad to get out of there. The second one of their backs were turned, the rest of them would start bitching about them. It's just how girls are.

This fella is spot on throughout thread.

Women that say they don't bitch simply dont realise how much they do it themselves lol
Reply 46
I can see how women may still bully in university but with guys its pretty hard for it to get to that point tbh because we usually react with violence whereas that is not so much the case with many women.
Original post by aliluvschoc

Original post by aliluvschoc
I'm in my 3rd year and live with 5 girls, I just don't see that happening. You must have been hugely unlucky. I'm not sure bitching is classed as bullying though.

Still, I suppose that's a different discussion.

You live with 5 girls? I think you're the lucky one..
Yes I was for a VERY brief stint. They tried it and took them a while to get up off the floor. :biggrin: But in my opinion University students are supposed to be learned individuals and not pathetic. It saddens me.
Reply 49
Original post by justiceisjust
You live with 5 girls? I think you're the lucky one..

I also live with 5 guys, we have a huge house. :biggrin:

Plus I'm female.

Living with only girls would probably lead to a very messy house.
I can't remember the name for it but when I enter the room a lot of the time my flatmates stop talking then continue when I leave the room. They avoid looking at me saying hello or any sort of eye contact, it is mainly the girl but the boys do it too. They talk about and exaggerate their nights out and invite each other out in my presence but say nothing to me .I had an argument with one of the girls the other day about hygiene but the guys just sat there and said nothing, the girl was giving the most useless arguments I just threw them all back in her face so she looked stupid. I went to my cousins house to cool down a bit and she told me a friend of hers was having the same issues and he was poisoned by his flatmates with rat poison so I hope it never comes to that. I hear them bitch about people all the time while I am in my room because I am next to the kitchen.
Reply 51
yes, i'm being bullied by 3 people i share halls with, i'm rarely in the flat as im always at the gym, uni or library and i get the blame for not washing my dishes and eating others food and it isn't me who does it, i've told them i haven't and they didn't believe me and still abuse me outside my door everyday. It's not like I could start an argument, it's three against one, 2 boys and 1 girl, i just have to stick it out for another 4 months. You can't escape bullying anywhere, people just don't automatically change when they go to uni, if someone is a bully, they will bully people with less dominant personalities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Cicerao
I see a load of jackass males taking the piss out of people, brb generalising the entire gender.

But with boys it's just banter - get it right woman
Reply 53
Original post by Planar
But with boys it's just banter - get it right woman

I sincerely apologise for my actions of October this year.
Reply 54
Original post by Cicerao
I sincerely apologise for my actions of October this year.

Do you think it's time to resign Mr Fox?
Original post by toddman10
yes, i'm being bullied by 3 people i share halls with, i'm rarely in the flat as im always at the gym, uni or library and i get the blame for not washing my dishes and eating others food and it isn't me who does it, i've told them i haven't and they didn't believe me and still abuse me outside my door everyday. It's not like I could start an argument, it's three against one, 2 boys and 1 girl, i just have to stick it out for another 4 months. You can't escape bullying anywhere, people just don't automatically change when they go to uni, if someone is a bully, they will bully people with less dominant personalities.

Blimey.

I'd say in that situation, the best thing you can do is take it in your stride. Give them the 'I don't give a **** what you think' attitude and come summer (or whenever the tenancy end), give them the middle finger and walk away.
Reply 56
I would. I didn't find my third year place until about a week and a half or so ago, and so stayed at a friend's house on an inflatable bed in the meantime to go to classes. The house consisted of 4 girls and believe me - they spend every minute of every day bitching about other girls, bitching about each other, bitching about something they saw on TV, bitching about the X-Factor, bitching about someone else's dress sense, bitching about boys, bitching about ex boyfriends etc. etc.

In the end I was so glad to get out of there. The second one of their backs were turned, the rest of them would start bitching about them. It's just how girls are.

/generalisations/ :sogood:
Original post by Kapellen
/generalisations/ :sogood:

Experience > Girl saying that I make generalisations, and then bitches about her friend behind her back.

:cool:
There's a flat near mine that are in conflict with each other, with one person in particular (lets call him 'David') getting the wrath of everyone else's misbehaviour. I think the house is turning on David from what I hear (I'm hardly at my uni accommodation these days as I'm on clinical placement until February). So there's 5 people in this one flat. 3 of them smoke, 2 don't. David has previously suffered from cancer and therefore, doesn't want to go anywhere near cigarette smoke. Against the rules, the other 3 flat mates smoke in the flat against his will and he's getting pretty sick of it. Not only that, but they play loud music all the time and treat the place like ****. Mouldy food left everywhere, stains up the wall, cigarette buts left in mugs and discarded take-away boxes. I think they do the usual mocking and teasing but I'm not too sure. I haven't witnessed it myself, but it's easy to hear what's going on.

I heard the latest in this drama was David flipped out and threw hot water one of the 'bullies'. He's now asked to move out and he's getting flak for it.
Reply 59
Experience > Girl saying that I make generalisations, and then bitches about her friend behind her back.

:cool:

Must be nice & simple viewing the world through simplistic generalisations :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending