The Student Room Group

TfL (Transport For London) graduate scheme - 2012 intake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Spokesman
Apparently someone who works at TFL told me at the first online application there are 400 but since you have made it to the AC it should be around 30.

Alot of people are saying competencies, so I should prepare for that then :biggrin:. Its good that your applying for the Undergraduate QS when you graduate after the online psychometric test you will be fast tracked. Thanks for the help.

Good luck on the AC!!

Oh that's fantastic, that's not bad odds at all really compared to some other grad schemes!

If you look at their competencies, just prepare a couple of examples of where you can demonstrate that for each of them - I wrote them out on different sheets of paper and then at the beginning she says which she's going to be looking for so I just got those sheets of paper and put them in front of me as soon as it started and that helped even if it is a little crazy!

And good luck to you for your telephone interview! Will let you know if there's any updates! Completely didn't mean Undergraduate QS btw, meant Underground - whoops, hope I won't make that mistake at AC!
Hi everyone,
Ive just read through the whole forum and found it very helpful! Just wondering does anyone have information on the types of questions they ask from a quantity surveying perspective in the interview?? I've just booked my telephone interview so i'm trying to gather as much info as i can now before it on monday!
any help much appreciated! cheers!
Reply 122
Original post by rooroo14
I have too, surprised that I got through the online tests though! When is yours?

Haha I'm surprised too! Mine's on Monday evening - handy that the time slots can be booked for weekends and evenings, so I don't get phoned at work!
Reply 123
Original post by davemcg1987
Hi everyone,
Ive just read through the whole forum and found it very helpful! Just wondering does anyone have information on the types of questions they ask from a quantity surveying perspective in the interview?? I've just booked my telephone interview so i'm trying to gather as much info as i can now before it on monday!
any help much appreciated! cheers!

Hey! I've applied for QS Underground - is that the same as you too or did you go for overground? They didn't ask me anything specific to QS at all - it was all just based on competencies like has been said about - just 3 questions. I think it's the same across all the schemes at phone interview from what I've read on here, they all sound very much the same.

Best of luck for Monday!
Original post by mllx8sc3
Hey! I've applied for QS Underground - is that the same as you too or did you go for overground? They didn't ask me anything specific to QS at all - it was all just based on competencies like has been said about - just 3 questions. I think it's the same across all the schemes at phone interview from what I've read on here, they all sound very much the same.

Best of luck for Monday!

Ah yeah it seems to be just questions they've already asked in application first submitted! I think I applied for the Underground as well but to be honest I don't remember! Must research some stuff now and get ready for monday alrite. Dunno how I got through anyway because I made a pure balls of online test I thought anyway! Had a total blank just!
I don't think many must have applied for the QS scheme this year because they extended the time for applications then when I applied I didn't do the online test within the time stated (which i never saw by the way) and they phoned me to tell me that applications were normally withdrawn if this wasn't done in time but they wanted to give me another opportunity to get it done! Hope it goes well on monday anyway yeah! must look through and see if i can see these questions you're on about again. Did they ask about olympics??
Reply 125
Ah yeah it seems to be just questions they've already asked in application first submitted! I think I applied for the Underground as well but to be honest I don't remember! Must research some stuff now and get ready for monday alrite. Dunno how I got through anyway because I made a pure balls of online test I thought anyway! Had a total blank just!
I don't think many must have applied for the QS scheme this year because they extended the time for applications then when I applied I didn't do the online test within the time stated (which i never saw by the way) and they phoned me to tell me that applications were normally withdrawn if this wasn't done in time but they wanted to give me another opportunity to get it done! Hope it goes well on monday anyway yeah! must look through and see if i can see these questions you're on about again. Did they ask about olympics??

Yeh - I'm hoping that there aren't many people applying - there's only me, you and one other person on here anyway! Nothing about the olympics at all literally just 3 tell me a time when.....'s! Thought I didn't do well at all on the test either but managed to get through and my status has updated yesterday to assessment centre but no email to confirm this so I'm just waiting on that?! They don't seem to be great at the sending of emails after updating your status - the same happened to me for the tests but I'd managed to have a check on the status so it was ok! I'm thinking maybe they just don't have a date for the AC yet cus they're waiting to see if they get late applications before the 10th?
Original post by mllx8sc3
Yeh - I'm hoping that there aren't many people applying - there's only me, you and one other person on here anyway! Nothing about the olympics at all literally just 3 tell me a time when.....'s! Thought I didn't do well at all on the test either but managed to get through and my status has updated yesterday to assessment centre but no email to confirm this so I'm just waiting on that?! They don't seem to be great at the sending of emails after updating your status - the same happened to me for the tests but I'd managed to have a check on the status so it was ok! I'm thinking maybe they just don't have a date for the AC yet cus they're waiting to see if they get late applications before the 10th?

Ah well the less there is the more chance there is of getting a place ! there are 6 available this year...i asked the other day. Well just trying to get these questions prepared now here so will give it a go on monday then to see! will log back in the to say how I got on. Hope there is plenty of time to prepare for assessment centre if I do get there too!
Reply 127

Good luck, I am applying for transport planning need to book the online test.
Hope you give some feed back post on the questions would really help, I was told its mostly competency based.
Reply 128
Ah well the less there is the more chance there is of getting a place ! there are 6 available this year...i asked the other day. Well just trying to get these questions prepared now here so will give it a go on monday then to see! will log back in the to say how I got on. Hope there is plenty of time to prepare for assessment centre if I do get there too!

woah 6 QS's?! That's not many spots! Guessing they'll take people they had on placements as well....? I know they're fast-tracked to AC :s-smilie: I know they have to give you at least a week and if they're only doing 1 AC they must be waiting til after the 10th to give a date and they'll have to have time for people applying on the 10th to have tests/phone interview so it may be a while yet!
Reply 129
Anybody had a telephone interview yet? Would be interesting to get a heads up on the questions they'll ask, although having done other phone interviews in the past, I can imagine some of the general themes.
Reply 130

Let me know how it goes down, need to book soon I think the questions are alll similar for all schemes.

GOOD LUCK DUUD!!
Reply 131
Original post by EssexDan86
Anybody had a telephone interview yet? Would be interesting to get a heads up on the questions they'll ask, although having done other phone interviews in the past, I can imagine some of the general themes.

Haven't done it yet need to book it, when is yours and what scheme?
Reply 132
Haven't done it yet need to book it, when is yours and what scheme?

Transport planning (surface transport).
Reply 133
Transport planning (surface transport).

Nice I am going for the Transport planning (Modelling and Transport Planning).Need to book the telephone interview lol, have you booked yours? It should be similar questions, let me know how yours goes and I will do the same.
(edited 12 years ago)
just off the phone there now! Talked her into submission I think! Went very well too in my opinion anyway! :p:p

3 questions were on:
collabaration
performance,drive & results
Customer focus

Collabaration: tell me about a time when you had to change your way of working to help another membver of a group you were working in?...further questions included how did this affect you, your work, how was your relationship with this person then and now etc.

Performance:
Tell me about a time where you had to step up your performance ot meet a target where something had gone wrong with orignal plan? followed with what went wrong and why? what did you learn etc?

Customer Focus:
Tell me about a time when you had to go out of your way to try to meet the needs specified by a customer/colleague etc.

Hope this helps someone anyway. :biggrin::wink:

And as for getting someone ignorant well I didn't, I had a lovely girl and we had a bit of banter in the call too which put me a lot more at ease. If i was in diffuclty she pointed me in the right direction! should have lasted 25 mins but lasted 45 nearly but it flew in! :smile:
Reply 135
Nice I am going for the Transport planning (Modelling and Transport Planning).Need to book the telephone interview lol, have you booked yours? It should be similar questions, let me know how yours goes and I will do the same.

Mine's at 6.15 this evening... fingers crossed!
Reply 136
just off the phone there now! Talked her into submission I think! Went very well too in my opinion anyway! :p:p

3 questions were on:
collabaration
Customer focus

Collabaration: tell me about a time when you had to change your way of working to help another membver of a group you were working in?...further questions included how did this affect you, your work, how was your relationship with this person then and now etc.

Performance:
Tell me about a time where you had to step up your performance ot meet a target where something had gone wrong with orignal plan? followed with what went wrong and why? what did you learn etc?

Customer Focus:
Tell me about a time when you had to go out of your way to try to meet the needs specified by a customer/colleague etc.

And as for getting someone ignorant well I didn't, I had a lovely girl and we had a bit of banter in the call too which put me a lot more at ease. If i was in diffuclty she pointed me in the right direction! should have lasted 25 mins but lasted 45 nearly but it flew in! :smile:

Thanks for this - all seems fairly straightforward, though I guess there's a range of different areas they might ask, so better make sure I'm prepared :smile:
Reply 137
Mine's at 6.15 this evening... fingers crossed!

GOOD LUCK M8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep calm and take your time. :smile: let me know the questions asked I have booked it today for thursday.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 138

3 questions were on:
collabaration
Customer focus

Performance:

Customer Focus:

Introduce yourself and why you have applied at the start? :smile:
Reply 139
The questions asked to me were the same as described above. Don't think my interviewer was a young girl though, more of an older lady perhaps, though still quite nice. The advice would be to keep brief and to the point.

Quick Reply

Latest