The Student Room Group

Waitress launches hunt on man who didn't tip her

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Yay for privacy laws!

He is able to sue the chain, sue her and anyone else who uses confidential information acquired from his credit receipt.

Data Protection Laws. This is a lovely power play for it.

you learn something new everyday!
Reply 81
"Bimbo's Cantina" Sounds like a classy place.:erm:
It sounds like he did give her a tip. He told her to lose a few pounds.
Reply 83
My auntie was in America and got aweful service so didn't tip. The waitress got the manager to have a go at her saying how my auntie obviously didn't understand the american culture and that he doesn't pay the waitresses the minimum wage as their tips should make up for their wages. Then my auntie retalliated saying how tipping was mean to be a bonus for good service, which she didn't get, then walked off.

Why have i ben neg repped for this? I'm not even in the sotry and didn't even give my opinion on it!?!?!?!?!?!?
(edited 12 years ago)
When I was a child I used to believe that "tipping" restaurant staff really did mean giving them some helpful advice. :colondollar:
Reply 85
Original post by Nix-j-c
My auntie was in America and got aweful service so didn't tip. The waitress got the manager to have a go at her saying how my auntie obviously didn't understand the american culture and that he doesn't pay the waitresses the minimum wage as their tips should make up for their wages. Then my auntie retalliated saying how tipping was mean to be a bonus for good service, which she didn't get, then walked off.

That was rude :mad:

Good on your auntie to retaliate. I hope she didn't pay the man. I'd have bitch slap him myself.
Reply 86
why doesnt every restaurant just make their food 10% more expensive?

I've never been to America, but if I do I actually want to try not tipping, see what kinda reaction I get.
Reply 87
What a disgraceful thing for a customer to do.
Reply 88
Original post by dean1210
What a disgraceful thing for a customer to do.

her service must have been awful for him to that though
Reply 89
Original post by kingme
her service must have been awful for him to that though

Doesn't justify the comment though, does it?

If it was bad service, then I can understand why you wouldn't tip, but why you'd write that, I'll never know.
Reply 90
Original post by dean1210
Doesn't justify the comment though, does it?

If it was bad service, then I can understand why you wouldn't tip, but why you'd write that, I'll never know.

maybe she was rude to him? seeing as we don't have his side of the story....
Reply 91
Original post by kingme
maybe she was rude to him? seeing as we don't have his side of the story....

That's true.
Tipping, yuck. Love the common sense of this woman, open herself up to judicial and civil action, and totally ignore the fact her boss should be paying her enough she doesn't need tips.

Seriously America, pay your goddamn staff a decent pay you wage slavers.

Hope tipping never catches on in the UK.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Tiiping, yuck. Love the common sense of this woman, open herself up to judicial and civil action, and totally ignore the fact her boss should be paying her enough she doesn't need tips.

Hope tipping never cathes on in the UK.

I think it's trying to crawl its way to the UK. I saw lots of restaurants in London these days asking for it, putting tipping boxes near the cashier. Even my favorite YO! Sushi ask for a bloody tip once I swap my debit card on the machine. Literally, the machine asked would I want to tip them. The guy on the cashier said there's no need to really because he won't be getting it. The restaurant will.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by philistine
This isn't illegal, for anyone asking.

It certainly would be in this country.
Reply 95
Original post by TheDAP
Minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, but most restaurants pay their waiting staff $2-$3 an hour.

Minimum wage in Washington is $8.67 an hour.

Original post by joey11223
aye but she's probably getting something $2-3 per hour. Their pay is a fair bit under minimum wage, most of their income comes from tipping, but in America giving generous tips is pretty standard. Not sure how that works legally, guess restaurant staff are somehow exempt from minimum wage laws..

Depends on the state, but generally they're not exempt - just minimum wage laws take into account their whole income, which includes their income from tips. Seems like a bit of a ****ed-up system to me, but then again so does their entire tipping culture.
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Yay for privacy laws!

He is able to sue the chain, sue her and anyone else who uses confidential information acquired from his credit receipt.

Data Protection Laws. This is a lovely power play for it.

LOL true, they're put that restaurant on ice!
Original post by kka25
I think it's trying to crawl its way to the UK. I saw lots of restaurants in London these days asking for it, putting tipping boxes near the cashier. Even my favorite YO! Sushi ask for a bloody tip once I swap my debit card on the machine. Literally, the machine asked would I want to tip them. The guy on the cashier said there's no need to really because he won't be getting it. The restaurant will.

The worst part is Yo! Sushi is extortionate. I was in Tokyo long enough to learn you could eat Japanese cuisine cheaply enough without having to fork out a small fortune for raw fish.

Either way I don't tip. I pay for meals with the understanding that the cost of it covers not only the ingredients and preparation but also a service charge and generally covering the running costs of the restaurant and its staff.

If the staff have a complaint about their pay that is between them and their employer. Tipping should be for exceptional service, something a customer gives to a member of staff freely and independent of the meal.
Probably wouldn't tip her either, but the dude's extra message was a bit douchebaggey
Reply 99
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Tipping, yuck. Love the common sense of this woman, open herself up to judicial and civil action, and totally ignore the fact her boss should be paying her enough she doesn't need tips.

Hope tipping never catches on in the UK.

Minimum wage is a decent wage for the job. No one gets into waiting thinking they're going to be making big bucks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending