The Student Room Group

UCAS 2012 - Discuss your decisions **here**

Scroll to see replies

I'm so excited for September now! I'm so glad I sorted it out and I'm thrilled with my decision and my offer :awesome:
Reply 961
I have now received offers from Durham (36 IB points), UCL (34), Glasgow (34) and Aberdeen (30). Still waiting to hear from Edinburgh, but I know I want to go either to Durham or UCL. Both have their pros and cons, so if someone has an idea which one would be better for archaeology that would be much appreciated!
Reply 962
I have offers from York (AAA) and Exeter (A*AA) - who took an absolute age to reply... Have no idea which to firm as neither were my first choice for English!
I made Brunel my firm and they require BBB and made Bournemouth my insurance (for Journalism) although they need AAB which is higher, I was recommended not to do so but I wanted to secure accommodation for my first choice.. I'm pretty worried about if I don't even get the B's.
Having only two offers at this moment, I don't know what to do already. I was unsuccessful for Glasgow (Astronomy and Maths) and am waiting for Edinburgh to get back to me on two courses. I was offered a place at Glasgow Caledonian (Unconditional) and Strathclyde (Conditions being C for AH Chem and B for Human Bio/Physics Higher) for Forensics... but I am not clued up as to which would be the better choice to go for? I know I could simply put GCU as a back up choice if I fail my conditions for Strathclyde but... what if Edinburgh get back to me with an offer also?
Durham or KCL?! So confused :frown:
Reply 966
Help please people :smile:

Should I firm Bristol (A*AA) or Southampton (AAA) for Aeronautical Engineering???

I'm on track to get A*A*A*A :smile:

(I wanna get into F1, which is why Southampton is so appealing but Bristol seems better for most other things :/)
Original post by Rolina
I have now received offers from Durham (36 IB points), UCL (34), Glasgow (34) and Aberdeen (30). Still waiting to hear from Edinburgh, but I know I want to go either to Durham or UCL. Both have their pros and cons, so if someone has an idea which one would be better for archaeology that would be much appreciated!

I don't know very much about archaeology but they're both brilliant unis - it really depends whether you want to stay in London or not! London has its advantages and disadvantages...higher living costs being one of them.
Reply 968
Original post by alexsasg
I don't know very much about archaeology but they're both brilliant unis - it really depends whether you want to stay in London or not! London has its advantages and disadvantages...higher living costs being one of them.

Thanks for your reply! :smile: From what I've seen UCL seems to rank slightly higher in archaeology and is more recognised internationally, and that's why I feel like it would not be wise to choose Durham over UCL - then again, I do like Durham as a city better. So you think that employers wouldn't necessarily make a distinction between graduates from these two unis? :smile:
Original post by Rolina
Thanks for your reply! :smile: From what I've seen UCL seems to rank slightly higher in archaeology and is more recognised internationally, and that's why I feel like it would not be wise to choose Durham over UCL - then again, I do like Durham as a city better. So you think that employers wouldn't necessarily make a distinction between graduates from these two unis? :smile:

Ultimately, it's up to you :smile: Perhaps UCL is slightly more prestigious, but that's not to say Durham isn't very prestigious too - it's got the whole 'Oxbridge of the north' thing going on, after all. I don't think employers would make a distinction but then if this does worry you, go for UCL. The best piece of advice anyone could give is to visit both unis one more time and see which one you can imagine yourself at.
Bristol, Aeronautical Engineering - FIRMED

So what happens now?
Currently deciding between Leeds and Leicester for zoology and bio-sci (leading on to zoology) respectively.
Both have offers of ABB BUT Leicester is closer, better ranked and I can transfer between the bio-sci courses if I decide Im suddenly all for microbiology or something. For Leeds, I've been accepted onto the A2L scheme, so if I firm them and complete that, my offer is reduced to BBC... so I'd be a lot less stressed ...
I think I'm leaning towards Leicester, but does anyone know anything that might make me change my decision? You know, like llamas wearing top-hats or actual serious business :tongue:
Reply 972
Original post by JohnyTheLad
Bristol, Aeronautical Engineering - FIRMED

So what happens now?

Hi im stuck between firming Bristol and Southampton for Aero. Just wondering why did you pick Bristol over Southampton? Thanksss
The location; as good as Southampton is, it's a bit dry over there. Although Southampton was more laid back and had better facilities.

The links that they have with F1 seemed legit, so I would say go for Southampton.
Original post by pepper_pie
Currently deciding between Leeds and Leicester for zoology and bio-sci (leading on to zoology) respectively.
Both have offers of ABB BUT Leicester is closer, better ranked and I can transfer between the bio-sci courses if I decide Im suddenly all for microbiology or something. For Leeds, I've been accepted onto the A2L scheme, so if I firm them and complete that, my offer is reduced to BBC... so I'd be a lot less stressed ...
I think I'm leaning towards Leicester, but does anyone know anything that might make me change my decision? You know, like llamas wearing top-hats or actual serious business :tongue:

I dont know anything about zoology or bio sci but I firmed Leicester and Ive just sent of my accomdation application! wooooo Leicester! :colondollar:
Original post by Manisha93
I dont know anything about zoology or bio sci but I firmed Leicester and Ive just sent of my accomdation application! wooooo Leicester! :colondollar:

Came on here literally just after firming Leicester after falling in love (with the university of course!) at the applicant visit day! Haha hopefully see you in September!
Original post by pepper_pie
Came on here literally just after firming Leicester after falling in love (with the university of course!) at the applicant visit day! Haha hopefully see you in September!

Hahah "love", aww :') yeaa hopefully! :biggrin:
Reply 977
Just firmed UCL and insured Edinburgh for Modern languages. Excited! :biggrin:
Reply 978
Firmed Aberdeen and insured Glasgow for Geology & Petroleum Geology/Earth Science (:
Reply 979
Firmed Cam and Insured Manchester for ChemEng :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending