The Student Room Group

UCAS 2012 - Discuss your decisions **here**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mpc1
Congratulations!!!! so did you get only 1 mail from track but two offers? The mail from track - is it from UCAS or from the uni?

Thank you! :biggrin:
No I got the fist email, ran to check track, and saw two offers instead of 1, checked my email again and there were 2 emails.
I'm just too fast for the system haha :wink:

(the emails are both from UCAS Track).
What're you applying for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 121
Original post by hobnob
This is the first batch of early offers. Most offers won't be given out until the January deadline has passed, though.

Im worried now does this mean i have much les of a chance of getting a place?
Reply 122
Original post by Binliner
Im worried now does this mean i have much les of a chance of getting a place?

No, it doesn't mean that. Universities give out *some* offers early to applicants they consider particularly strong, but the bulk of their offers won't be given out until much later.
Reply 123
Original post by hobnob
No, it doesn't mean that. Universities give out *some* offers early to applicants they consider particularly strong, but the bulk of their offers won't be given out until much later.

Did not realize this!

When offers are given to early applicants, does that mean they are strong? Since anyway most offers are conditional, does the strength of the applicant much matter in deciding early offers.
Reply 124
Original post by new123
Did not realize this!

When offers are given to early applicants, does that mean they are strong? Since anyway most offers are conditional, does the strength of the applicant much matter in deciding early offers.

well some people will tell you that "early" offers are only given out to some people etc etc.. but yes.. if you are applying to a BBC course e.g. BIOMED at De Monfort.. and your predicted grades are AAA you're likely to get a offer quickly..

this is because your seen as strong by DE monfort..

however, L100 Economics.. at Notts .. is A*AA - if your predicted grades are A*AA you are NOT strong compared to everyone else as most people applying to that course will have A*AA..

this is why.. everyone who has appplied for L100 Economics at Notts has recieved an email saying NO responses will be given out till January :smile:
Original post by i Pav i
well some people will tell you that "early" offers are only given out to some people etc etc.. but yes.. if you are applying to a BBC course e.g. BIOMED at De Monfort.. and your predicted grades are AAA you're likely to get a offer quickly..

this is because your seen as strong by DE monfort..

however, L100 Economics.. at Notts .. is A*AA - if your predicted grades are A*AA you are NOT strong compared to everyone else as most people applying to that course will have A*AA..

this is why.. everyone who has appplied for L100 Economics at Notts has recieved an email saying NO responses will be given out till January :smile:

I have a friend (and seen confirmation of this) who has an L100 Economics offer from Nottingham, AAA. He got it on the 25th..
Original post by SirLauberlot
I have a friend (and seen confirmation of this) who has an L100 Economics offer from Nottingham, AAA. He got it on the 25th..

Practically impossible.

NEWSFLASH! Our standard HEU entry requirements for 2012 entry will be A*AA-AAA.

UK and EU applicants for entry in 2012 who fulfill our entry requirements will not receive decisions on their applications until AFTER the January application deadline.

Applications will be assessed as they arrive so that decisions can be processed very quickly after the deadline.

Applicants who recieve an offer after January will be invited to a UCAS Visit Day in February or March.
Reply 127
Had 2 offers in a week of the application being sent off :biggrin: .. UEA and Glasgow studying Philosophy and English Literature :smile:
Good luck to everyone :smile: :smile:
Reply 128
Got an offer from Bristol (AAB) on the 25th and another offer from Warwick (A*AA + B) on the 27th. Economics.
Expecting an offer from Nottingham to arrive soon, but I'll probably have to wait a little longer for the remaining two :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by new123
Did not realize this!

It means that the universities which gave them those offers thought that (based on the universities' own set of criteria) they looked like strong candidates within the field of applicants they got until that point / are expecting to get later on in the application process, based on their experience from previous years. Basically those are applicants they would have given offers to regardless of when they applied. The other applications (except for the ones which are rejected straight out because the candidates don't meet the requirements) are put on the 'maybe' pile and held back until they've had the rest of their applications, at which point they decide which of the 'maybe's will receive offers as well.
Offers being conditional doesn't really mean anything.
Original post by -Illmatic-
Practically impossible.

Well, sorry, but it's 100% true.

Proof?
Reply 132

your mates 100% lying to you son ..
Original post by i Pav i

Thats what I'm thinking. Surely we'd see some offers scattered around on TSR as well..theres some highly capable econ applicants in the applicant thread who havent heard anything yet :dontknow:
Original post by i Pav i
If you aren't applying for Med, Dent.. its best to send your offer off as earliest as possible ? isn't it?

Pretty much yeah. Some unis do explicitly state that they won't look at any applications until after the January deadline... But there are quite a few that do. A friend of mine sent hers off beginning of October (applying for Chemistry) and already has 2 interviews from Bath and York. Many people are getting offers already.
If anything, it's a load off your back.
Is track working yet? Im dying for just one bloody offer!
Original post by i Pav i

I was with him when he logged onto Track. I'm not going to screenshot his Track page, that's a little ridiculous. All I can say is I'd have no reason to lie, I'm not even applying to Nottingham!
Reply 137
Does anybody else just scroll through this thread, then feel sick when they see people have offers from one of the universities you've applied to!

No... Just me? :P
Reply 138
Original post by thomas93

Original post by thomas93
Does anybody else just scroll through this thread, then feel sick when they see people have offers from one of the universities you've applied to!

No... Just me? :P

I do... i can't help but fear for my future when i see a lot of people already receiving offers (i am happy for them, btw :smile:). I can't stop checking though :tongue:
Reply 139
Original post by xChrista
I do... i can't help but fear for my future when i see a lot of people already receiving offers (i am happy for them, btw :smile:). I can't stop checking though :tongue:

Same, I'm really happy for them... Whoever negged me, needs to lighten up really...

Quick Reply