The Student Room Group

Uni work so hard...

Scroll to see replies

What year have you started in computer science? 1 or 2
Original post by jelly1000
Sadly thats what you get on an arts course - plus the seminars where you get to discuss certain topics in a bit more depth, but of course to do that you need to do the reading.

amazingly its listed as a science course..

In my computer science yr1 we took:
Computer Architecture and Systems Softwaresort of math listen and you will do well,2 courseworks, got high marks in both, both relevent to lecture notes and book and tutorials
Developing Professional Skills pointless and extremely easy
Formal Foundationslinked to CASS again it is do-able advisable to get a book and practice like a bitch,coursework was ok,again a high pass but I struggled with this 1 but study paid off
Foundations of Human Computer Interactionagain a credit filler like DPS, pointless but easy
Software Development (Part 1)some will do C# we did java, yr 1 amazingly they expect you know the basics, if you dont get practising,just reading will not help,we had 3 main exams
Introduction to Web Technologiesvery very easy
Software Development (Part 2)carried on from SD just gets a little harder,practise makes perfect,we had 3 main exams

You should have taken something similar...prob not the same as all unis do similar but different modules,they shouldnt but they do

this year am taking:
Computer Architecture and Systems Software 2 similar as CASS but more complex...buy a book
Computer Communications and Networkscomplex but doable buy a book
Data Structures and Algorithmsdoable lot of reading helps
Database Systemsall databases as it sounds
Symbolic and Declarative Computing and Artificial Intelligence we learn haskell in this class
User Interface Development were building a GUI but pretty complex,getting and receiving data from other stored data,must be able to save and alter.Using arrays and so on, quite fun actually

There are more but i just put the wrong password in and got locked out of evision lol

1st year looking back at it was actually easy. We did Java, there just introducing C# now
I wouldnt advise you on buying books in the 1st year. You will notice most of the computing area do a common 1st year....dont buy the books also the credits from 1st year dont go towards your degree but your pass rate does... stupid rule really

Year 2 my current year the workload is more that I imagined but am coping. I will buy some books but the rest il get online ebooks or library. They will list you books but they get paid to advise students on buying certain books. Most books will have the same info in them so have a look around. This is also something most ppl I know have noticed, I dont know if its just with computing but I think its most courses, we have pointless lectures, and what I mean by this is they show and read slides which are on blackboard, most of the time nothing at all is explained and your totally on your own. I think the worst was formal foundations, we had and now have for another subject a foreign professor, and yeh hes absolutely brilliant at his subject, there defiantly no doubting that but crazed foreign lecturer trying to help, its just not good enough, and were lucky he does try to help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Mind me giving my opinion on the courses listed? :smile:

I know it's not really the same but it's somewhat similar to mine.

Original post by britishgoose01

In my computer science yr1 we took:
Computer Architecture and Systems Software sort of math listen and you will do well,2 courseworks, got high marks in both, both relevent to lecture notes and book and tutorials

Wasn't mathematical for us but quite complex. They split the Architecture to 2 parts. So we had to take it in two different semester. If you don't know the first one, the second will be a bitch. I really enjoyed it though.

Developing Professional Skill pointless and extremely easy

Won't say it's pointless. At least I don't have to do much brain work here :biggrin:

Foundations of Human Computer Interaction again a credit filler like DPS, pointless but easy

Snooze fest. Studied by my own. Was horrible because I didn't have any interest with the subject. The lecturer tend to talk about his former Uni then the subject. But I studied the whole text book and managed to get a high grade for it. Would I do it again? No way in hell.

Introduction to Web Technologies very very easy

I think we did something similar. We did HTML with it. Surprisingly hard. She made all the Web scripts really hard. The 2 tests ware open book so go figure. But the theory was easy and pretty much lame.
Software Development (Part 1)some will do C# we did java, yr 1 amazingly they expect you know the basics, if you dont get practising,just reading will not help,we had 3 main exams
Software Development (Part 2)carried on from SD just gets a little harder,practise makes perfect,we had 3 main exams
Formal Foundationslinked to CASS again it is do-able advisable to get a book and practice like a bitch,coursework was ok,again a high pass but I struggled with this 1 but study paid off

Don't know about these ones. Maybe different titles.

Computer Communications and Networks complex but doable buy a book

Hard. Go buy a book and find lots of flash tutorials.
Data Structures and Algorithmsdoable lot of reading helps

Loved it. Depends on the lecturer. Mine was fantastic. My lecturers told me that their lecturers who thought them DSA made it really hard and the reason why so many students got kicked out from Uni.

Database Systems all databases as it sounds

I hate Database. I hate Relational Algebra. Got good grades though.

Symbolic and Declarative Computing and Artificial Intelligence we learn haskell in this class

Did Prolog. Was a bit boring.

I dont know if its just with computing but I think its most courses, we have pointless lectures, and what I mean by this is they show and read slides which are on blackboard, most of the time nothing at all is explained and your totally on your own. .

After finishing my Computing degree and have a sense of what the academia is all about, I really should have thrown my shoes at this kinda lecturer. Ok that was a bit dramatic, but I should be telling them in such dismay that they shouldn't be reading slides. We know how to read it. Please just explain the damn things. We're not asking much. Heck, we shouldn't be asking. It's their job anyway.

Just now I was telling myself if I were to sit in a lecture hall again and the lecturer reads the slides, I would stop the lecture and the lecturer, hold my head and say "Please, please don't read the slides. We come very far away from our home, leave our house just to learn this thing. At least you could do is lecture it properly"

Will see how it goes. :smile:
most refuse to explain and then when they do they do it the politicians way, going around the subject, and our lectures are now mandatory, no go no bursary. And yeh am not a fan of prolog :frown:
Reply 24
I hated it probably because of if its recursive nature.
(edited 12 years ago)
am so looking forward to yr 3....1 yr then freedom
Original post by L3mon
But that's what university is? They will teach you how to start [the basics], and then you need to do your own research, reading outside the lectures to fully understand it.

They can't be expected to teach you everything that you would ever encounter in 12 weeks (1 semester).

Necropost of the century. Kind of a big, legal scam

Quick Reply

Latest