The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering application thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by frastgouy
Well yes its is less of a "cockfest" as you put it :teehee:. Roughly 30% are girls.

Send it off ASAP, it's almost Novemeber! but dont worry, chemeng isnt THAT competitive

OMG! isn't the deadline in Jan.....OMG im so behind you guys....by miles. :frown:
....And what do you mean by chemeng is not so compititive????????? :O
Reply 61
Original post by Cath-ay
I sent my application off last friday and it was processed on monday. I just tried the best I could to relate the things I've done to chem eng. What exactly are you struggling with?

I'm applying to UCL, doubt I'll get an offer though o.o

You have send your applications already???? OMG.. i'm starting to get worried...have you applied to oxbridge? Does UCL interview for chem. eng....I heard the course is dominated by male population, Do not know if that is a good thing though :/ I have my grades already: A*AB in maths ,hem and bio respectively. ...........Only if i hear from UCL...:smile:
Im an EU student (Spanish but living in Beligum) , I speak English, French and Spanish pretty well. I got 91% predicted and 90% achieved last year. I have already applied to cambridge and Imperial. I want to choose another 3 courses (of 4 years) and I cannot decide between UCL, Edinburgh, Bath, Manchester and loughborough. I was going to apply today to the first three but i dont know. Will Edinburgh be very demanded as it is free for EU students (well , not for the rest of the UK ^^). Can you give me some additional information that i cant find anywhere else? Which in your opinion is the easiest to get into from UCL, Manchester Edinburgh ? thanks!
Reply 63
Well yes its is less of a "cockfest" as you put it :teehee:. Roughly 30% are girls.

Send it off ASAP, it's almost Novemeber! but dont worry, chemeng isnt THAT competitive

:P I looked at some stats for Bath and they had around 50% girls for chemeng but electronical had like 1 haha
Yeah.. it's done, but it's half term and the school isn't processing any applications.
Plus I want some teachers to do a final proof read of my ps and I need to decide on my low uni.. What's your lowest grade requirement?

(~7 applicants per place for Birmingham) :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Well, most chemeng students are dudes and i certainly am too (dont worry i've checked). And for that reason, im not too keen on the condoms.. :erm:..(i mean generally anyway :tongue:)

They shouldn't matter that much, chemeng isnt THAT competitive. How bad are they?

is civil engineering competative? how competative?
Reply 65
Original post by IamSerious

Engineering in general isn't as competitive as say Psychology or Economics, but it depends on what unis you apply to.
Original post by Shaz51
OMG! isn't the deadline in Jan.....OMG im so behind you guys....by miles. :frown:
....And what do you mean by chemeng is not so compititive????????? :O

Its best to apply ASAP tbh, because they consider applications as soon as they receive them. A lot of ppl have already received offers and interviews. Dont stress yourself, engineering generally isnt that competitive. Its increasing in competitivity ofc, but not that many apply for it. Its quite an unknown course compared to some of the others
Original post by zoeaw
:P I looked at some stats for Bath and they had around 50% girls for chemeng but electronical had like 1 haha
Yeah.. it's done, but it's half term and the school isn't processing any applications.
Plus I want some teachers to do a final proof read of my ps and I need to decide on my low uni.. What's your lowest grade requirement?

(~7 applicants per place for Birmingham) :s-smilie:

Chemeng is definitely more gender balanced than any other engineering course, but some places its more like 25% female. That must be annoying, everything's ready except the teachers!

Nottingham asks for AAB-ABB. Haha, already got an informal interview at birmingham :tongue:!
Reply 68
Its best to apply ASAP tbh, because they consider applications as soon as they receive them. A lot of ppl have already received offers and interviews. Dont stress yourself, engineering generally isnt that competitive. Its increasing in competitivity ofc, but not that many apply for it. Its quite an unknown course compared to some of the others

Hey do you know whay universities do not interview??? Like UCL, edinburgh and leeds??? These are the unis I am thinking I am applying to but unsure as they might interview?...I drread interviews....Do you know if chemical engineers earn well or not..??? I heard that they do but I am surprised that it is not that competitive.
Original post by IamSerious

Engineering generally isnt that competitive. Having have that it is INCREASINGLY becoming more popular. Applications have increased by two and a half times in the past ten years, but its still not that popular. I've had very contradictory information about chemeng's popularity towards other engineering courses, so i dont think im fit to tell you if civil is as competitive as chemeng. Sorry
Reply 70
Anyone recieved any offers yet? I'm sending my application on 1st Nov
Reply 71
Original post by Shaz51
You have send your applications already???? OMG.. i'm starting to get worried...have you applied to oxbridge? Does UCL interview for chem. eng....I heard the course is dominated by male population, Do not know if that is a good thing though :/ I have my grades already: A*AB in maths ,hem and bio respectively. ...........Only if i hear from UCL...:smile:

yah I've sent off my application, and no I haven't applied to oxbridge lol and yeah UCL normally interviews, it's only been a few days so haven't heard from them yet. well done on the grades btw :smile:

I looked up the UCAS stats for last year and apparently there were 11.7k applications for chem eng, so def not as competitive as some of the other courses, relax :P
here's the link, if u wanna take a look: http://www.ucas.com/about_us/media_enquiries/media_releases/2011/20110531
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
Chemeng is definitely more gender balanced than any other engineering course, but some places its more like 25% female. That must be annoying, everything's ready except the teachers!

Nottingham asks for AAB-ABB. Haha, already got an informal interview at birmingham :tongue:!

Gah I know. And all the people who applied before the Oxbridge deadline have been getting offers.. Stupid half term.
My friend has the interview for Birmingham as well. (I hate you both). It's in like a week isn't it?
Nottingham is your insurance? :O What if you don't get the grades?
Original post by zoeaw
Gah I know. And all the people who applied before the Oxbridge deadline have been getting offers.. Stupid half term.
My friend has the interview for Birmingham as well. (I hate you both). It's in like a week isn't it?
Nottingham is your insurance? :O What if you don't get the grades?

Mine is on the 16th, getting myself prepared already. Im on a gap year with ABB already and im pretty confident of getting 3 As so im aiming high
Reply 74
Mine is on the 16th, getting myself prepared already. Im on a gap year with ABB already and im pretty confident of getting 3 As so im aiming high

I am in a gap year too! Are you working in your free time in an industry? And could I ask you what things do you put in the personal statement, I haven't even started mine yet!
Original post by Shaz51
I am in a gap year too! Are you working in your free time in an industry? And could I ask you what things do you put in the personal statement, I haven't even started mine yet!

Yh it really sucks that we missed the cheap tuition fee, isnt it?! No im working as a support administrator at a theatre automation company. It doesnt have any chem engs but its FILLED with mechanical and electrical engineers, so i mentioned that in my ps.

On your ps, mention why chemeng appeals to you, mention why you like the subjects you have taken that are associated to chemeng and what you have learnt from your A levels. What you're doing on your gap year and how this benefits you and what academic acheivements you've made. That pretty much summarises what i did. Good luck with it.
Original post by Shaz51
Hey do you know whay universities do not interview??? Like UCL, edinburgh and leeds??? These are the unis I am thinking I am applying to but unsure as they might interview?...I drread interviews....Do you know if chemical engineers earn well or not..??? I heard that they do but I am surprised that it is not that competitive.

First of all..breathe lol. Im assuming that they'll all pretty much interview you. Most unis will if they're not if they wanna give you an offer. No uni has a "no interview" policy. Tbh, im quite jealous of your results, they make me feel quite stupid, uneasy and shifty..:shiftyrun:
You got an A* in maths. Wow, with an A and a B in chem and bio, thats a lot better than mine. Just pump that B to an A and you'll stand a really good chance.

Chemengs do earn. In fact they have the 3rd highest starting salaries an in the uk the average wage is £53K. Abroad, its even more. Its not competitive coz its engineering. Most ppl nowadays dont like the idea of a hard course, with a hard job for a high pay, but thats starting to change now. Its getting more and more popular every year!
Reply 77
Hy...has any one had an interview with Loughborough...or does anyone have one..dint realise Loughborough did interviews..which kind of sucks for me..I know I want to do chem eng but can't explain why:confused:
Reply 78
Well I wish you guys good luck for your applications, is there a chemeng society on here? so when we are studying it at uni we can disucss things =]
Reply 79
Original post by Yinks
Hy...has any one had an interview with Loughborough...or does anyone have one..dint realise Loughborough did interviews..which kind of sucks for me..I know I want to do chem eng but can't explain why:confused:

You must have a reason you want to do it surely? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest