The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering application thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by affleming
anybody else applied to manchester and heard back?

ME! I have an interview on the 5th of December. What about you?
Original post by sibi123
ME! I have an interview on the 5th of December. What about you?

same, do you reckon everyone gets them?
*cough* Sorry, just want to mooch around as I'm applying next year:tongue:
Reply 163
same, do you reckon everyone gets them?

Dunno! If they are gonna reject you, then they will do that straight away. Why would they call you for an interview and then reject you.. lol. How are you feeling abt this interview then? I dont think everyone gets them. From what I read, if you get an interview, you will definetly get an offer. There are ofcourse exceptions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sibi123
Dunno! If they are gonna reject you, then they will do that straight away. Why would they call you for an interview and then reject you.. lol. How are you feeling abt this interview then? I dont think everyone gets them. From what I read, if you get an interview, you will definetly get an offer. There are ofcourse exceptions.

I think it should be alright as it sounds quite casual.
Surrey University Interview - Had it today
The day consists of talks, tours, a Hess rig practical and an interview. The only time they are evaluating you for a place is in the interview, all the rest is for your own benefit.
In the HESS rig practical we had to turn various levers to get optimum pressure in the system which was all fairly easy. In the interview I was asked general questions and also what I had been doing in my subjects recently which was asked in detail.
Original post by tubbytubbytubtubs
Surrey University Interview - Had it today
The day consists of talks, tours, a Hess rig practical and an interview. The only time they are evaluating you for a place is in the interview, all the rest is for your own benefit.
In the HESS rig practical we had to turn various levers to get optimum pressure in the system which was all fairly easy. In the interview I was asked general questions and also what I had been doing in my subjects recently which was asked in detail.

did they give you an offer there and then
No, they said they will let me know within 7 days
Original post by frastgouy
I see. So would you say it is beneficial if you research the universities' industrial links to the sector of industry you most want to work in?

Absolutely yes.

Or find out which universities have the strongest research in the sector that most interests you,

Yes. This is quite often tied to the above.

I'm assuming most russel group unis generally have good links to industry, especially those who have a good engineering department, right?

I don't know.

I agree a uni's position in the league tables isnt looked at by employers. But doesn't the academic and employer reputations at least give a good indicator of how respected it is

But what is academic reputation?

and how much the uni helps you in finding a job through their career's service?

Yes, I think this is important but how do you measure it?

Wouldnt satisfaction, spending, value added score, etc at least give you some kind of indication of how well their teaching quality and quality of facilities.

Yes, probably, but newspaper rankings are primarily based on research output, entry standards, etc.

Of course, the Guardian isn't, but it gets slated here because it doesn't produce the results that many want it to.

But as I have already said, if that is your criteria then it's all perfectly valid and if you find a league table that you think reasonably represents your criteria then by all means use it.
anybody else applied to manchester and heard back?

Yep, got an open day/interview on the 5th of December as well :biggrin:
This means we're almost guaranteed an offer right, unless we mess up big time, since I've heard that they tell you that you got an offer there and then.
Also got an offer from Sheffield, and only acknowledgements from UCL, Notts and Loughborough so far.
Reply 170
Original post by Eircom
Hey guys, applied about three weeks ago and have had replies from them all. Got two offers and three interviews, with the offers from Bath and Nottingham and interviews from Birmingham, Loughborough and Manchester. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for interviews if they've been through the process before. A little bit worried as I'm not good in interviews generally.

Please tell me what offer you got for Nottingham since I also applied. Also when are your interviews?
I need to decide whether to apply to UCL or to Manchester for chem eng.. could you give your opinion about which one has better career prospects?
I have already applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and Bath! havent heard anything form them appart from cambridge SAQ and interview and imperial saying that they would announce they would not give any offers till January (with some exceptions I suppose).
Original post by MasterPotatoHead
Yep, got an open day/interview on the 5th of December as well :biggrin:
This means we're almost guaranteed an offer right, unless we mess up big time, since I've heard that they tell you that you got an offer there and then.
Also got an offer from Sheffield, and only acknowledgements from UCL, Notts and Loughborough so far.

when did you send your application? and also what are your as grades and predictions if you dont mind me asking?
when did you send your application? and also what are your as grades and predictions if you dont mind me asking?

Sent it in the 20th of October.
My AS grades were AAAB in Maths, Chemistry, History and Biology, while my predicted grades are AAAA, although my offer from sheffield was an AAB including Maths and Chemistry so I might drop biology soon seeing as it's just dragging me down.
Reply 174
Omg!!! Have an interview at Loughborough and imperial on the same day..what do I do!!!!!!!!!!!!?
Reply 175
Original post by Yinks

Original post by Yinks
Omg!!! Have an interview at Loughborough and imperial on the same day..what do I do!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Call them, explain your situation and ask if they can change it? If both can't, you'll have to choose whichever you prefer...
Reply 176
Original post by Cath-ay
Call them, explain your situation and ask if they can change it? If both can't, you'll have to choose whichever you prefer...

I already confirmed the one at Loughborough...+I think that day might just be for chemical engineering interviews at Loughborough because everyone seems to have it on the same day....:confused::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Reply 177
Original post by Yinks

Original post by Yinks
I already confirmed the one at Loughborough...+I think that day might just be for chemical engineering interviews at Loughborough because everyone seems to have it on the same day....:confused::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Ouch :/ I would just try ringing up one of them, maybe imperial seeing as you've already comfirmed loughborough's interview but it's your decision. You're probably not the only one in this situation. I'm sure they'll understand and possibly reorganise.
Reply 178
Original post by Cath-ay
Ouch :/ I would just try ringing up one of them, maybe imperial seeing as you've already comfirmed loughborough's interview but it's your decision. You're probably not the only one in this situation. I'm sure they'll understand and possibly reorganise.

Lool..yh..thanks though..I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow :smile:
Reply 179
No problem lol :]

Quick Reply

Latest