The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Info on University of Sussex, please?

Hello!

I have been looking at the Media Studies course for US and I haven't been able to actually get down to the University to have a look at it as I had work. I'm going to a campus tour in a couple of weeks but my college want our applications sent off by then. I just wanted some info from anyone who's been there/is there on what the uni is like.

I just want to know stuff like the whole atmosphere, the accommodation that is available, the SU, the transport available to and from town (I would like to know this in particular), what other people are like there, etc etc etc. I've been told that the night life is good in Brighton and the town is lovely. The whole Sussex campus looks beautiful in itself too.

I would just like to know more about the uni etc. And if you do Media Studies, even better if you could tell me more about the course too.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by loooochy
Hello!

I have been looking at the Media Studies course for US and I haven't been able to actually get down to the University to have a look at it as I had work. I'm going to a campus tour in a couple of weeks but my college want our applications sent off by then. I just wanted some info from anyone who's been there/is there on what the uni is like.

I just want to know stuff like the whole atmosphere, the accommodation that is available, the SU, the transport available to and from town (I would like to know this in particular), what other people are like there, etc etc etc. I've been told that the night life is good in Brighton and the town is lovely. The whole Sussex campus looks beautiful in itself too.

I would just like to know more about the uni etc. And if you do Media Studies, even better if you could tell me more about the course too.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Hey,
I went to the open day on the 8th of October and I was pretty impressed by what they had to offer. I'm not intending to study Media Students although, I'm going for Physics.
By transport available to town, I'm guessing you mean Brighton? Falmer train station is not far to walk to at all and Brighton is about 5 minutes away by train.
I didn't look at the accommodation and SU due to time limitations on my part so I can't really help there, sorry. D:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by Phuck
Hey,
I went to the open day on the 8th of October and I was pretty impressed by what they had to offer. I'm not intending to study Media Students although, I'm going for Physics.
By transport available to town, I'm guessing you mean Brighton? Falmer train station is not far to walk to at all and Brighton is about 5 minutes away by train.
I didn't look at the accommodation and SU due to time limitations on my part so I can't really help there, sorry. D:

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:
The campus is beautiful and everyone I've met is friendly. The bus into Brighton is really regular during the day and there's a night bus too (although not so often).

I don't know what accommodation you're interested in but they're all self-catered. Mostly flats (one is halls-style). And they range from shared rooms with mushrooms in the showers (very cheap) to the beautiful new block they built for this year.
Hi I'm a fresher at Sussex (only been here 3 weeks) and studying Business. The general atmosphere around campus is pretty relaxed. It's a fairly left-wing uni with lots of campaigns going on, but that's not to say there aren't right-wing minded people here. Everyone I've met has been very friendly, it seems a very united uni. The students union is pretty good, they threw a good freshers week with events suitable for everyone's tastes.

The accommodation is alright, it's not spectacular unless you get Northfield (opened this year so it's brand new.) Unless you are extremely social or have a tight budget DON'T apply for East Slope, it's pretty horrible and I wouldn't want to live there. Yeah all the other accommodations are fine, they're self-catered.

Transport is decent, you have the buses which run every 10-15mins or so and it's £2.50 for a return into town. Alternatively you have Falmer train station at the bottom of campus, I'm not sure how regularly trains run i think it's every 20 mins or so. The train will take you to the top of town then it's a 5 mins walk to Churchill Square which is the main shopping mall. There are a fair few internationals here and some of my lecturers are international which means it's sometimes hard to understand them :/ Also the library is pretty amazing, it's got up to date technology for taking out books and you can view your account online which is really handy.

The night life is freaking amazing! I love it. There are deals going on in clubs practically every night so you're bound to find a cheap night somewhere. On campus there is East Slope and Falmer bar, both are very good. They serve cheap food, coffees and most alcoholic beverages.

I really like Sussex and would definitely recommend it. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by JustAnotherCliche
Hi I'm a fresher at Sussex (only been here 3 weeks) and studying Business. The general atmosphere around campus is pretty relaxed. It's a fairly left-wing uni with lots of campaigns going on, but that's not to say there aren't right-wing minded people here. Everyone I've met has been very friendly, it seems a very united uni. The students union is pretty good, they threw a good freshers week with events suitable for everyone's tastes.

The accommodation is alright, it's not spectacular unless you get Northfield (opened this year so it's brand new.) Unless you are extremely social or have a tight budget DON'T apply for East Slope, it's pretty horrible and I wouldn't want to live there. Yeah all the other accommodations are fine, they're self-catered.

Transport is decent, you have the buses which run every 10-15mins or so and it's £2.50 for a return into town. Alternatively you have Falmer train station at the bottom of campus, I'm not sure how regularly trains run i think it's every 20 mins or so. The train will take you to the top of town then it's a 5 mins walk to Churchill Square which is the main shopping mall. There are a fair few internationals here and some of my lecturers are international which means it's sometimes hard to understand them :/ Also the library is pretty amazing, it's got up to date technology for taking out books and you can view your account online which is really handy.

The night life is freaking amazing! I love it. There are deals going on in clubs practically every night so you're bound to find a cheap night somewhere. On campus there is East Slope and Falmer bar, both are very good. They serve cheap food, coffees and most alcoholic beverages.

I really like Sussex and would definitely recommend it. :biggrin:

I'm not the thread stater but thanks for the information! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hey, I've been at Sussex 4 years now so thought I'd add to what everyone is saying :smile:

I love the atmosphere on campus, it's really nice :smile: The campus is known for being very left wing so there is usually lots of politcal things going on, but you can find other things to get into if that isn't your scene. I've noticed sports seems to be quite popular too!

The accommodation is pretty expensive, which is rubbish (and I honestly don't think more expensive necessarily is worth it, though I've heard good things about North Field!) & Contrary to what the above poster said I know loads of people who lived in East Slope and loved it.

I actually work for the SU in their shop, so this is where I'll probably be able to answer most questions, aha! The SU isn't massive (I know at some uni's they ALWAYS have events and stuff) but when they do put things on they are generally good - also it's important to note we did used to have an SU nightclub but no-one went since Brighton is so close! There are two SU bars on campus - both very lively and popular, one SU shop and a co-op which is run in partnership with the union.

Transport in Brighton is fab, there are two bus companies; Brighton and Hove buses (£2.50 return to town) Lemon bus (£2 return to town - but less frequent and doesn't run in the holidays. Though the drivers are much more friendly than B&H's bus drivers!). On the bus you tend to get into the town centre in 30 minutes, although it can take longer on 'busy' nights such as the end of term or halloween for example. The train costs a little more (not sure how much) and you can be in Brighton in 7 minutes.

Night life in Brighton is brilliant - although try to avoid weekends as they are very expensive (Lots of hen parties e.t.c.). There really is something for every taste though!

Hope this helps/adds to what others have said =D
Reply 7
Hi,
Going to Sussex Uni was one of the best decisions I ever made. I love the campus and living in Brighton. There's great night life and shopping, you're by the sea and close the downs, only an hour to London, it's perfect! Transport into Brighton is very good and fairly cheap as previously discussed. Accommodation wise I lived in East Slope in my first year, you get what you pay for and to be fair living in one of the posh residences is a waste of time as you will NEVER get anything as good in town in your second year (unless you're a millionaire). There's quite a lot of 'hippies' on campus, not sure if that's your thing? Lots of left wing politics and environment things going on.
I thoroughly recommend it! :smile:
Reply 8
go to the university of sussex handbook 2011 2012 it has everything you would want to know.
this is the link

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/international/pdfs/ISHandbook.pdf
Reply 9
Thank you for all of your help and comments, everyone! I visited there last week and I absolutely fell in love with it. So cheers, all, you've been great help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending