Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am a Second Year Sheffield University student. Ask me anything about Freshers year!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (If anyone else , then please help people's questions!)

Ask me anything about my experiences in Sheffield last year and I should be able to give you a decent answer. I stayed in Ranmoor, went out quite a bit and studied Geog and Politics. I can tell you:

- Fresher's Week is utter madness. A lot of people tend to do "flat crawls" going from flat to flat and just getting used to their surroundings. Just go with whatever's going on, but obviously don't feel like you "have" to do anything. Just, it's better to be sociable. In fact, some girl on here recognised me, said "are you Mazza558?" - but I don't think I've seen her since.

- It takes about half a year before you're indistinguishable from the older students, but before that, you go around in huge groups which fragment as people find true friends, rather than just people to hang out with.

- The best seats in the IC (library) are the HUGE futuristic-looking armchairs facing the windows. Completely quiet and decent for laptop work too. The other libraries are arcane and slightly creepy (as they are at the moment).

- Second year accommodation? Don't start too soon but I'd aim to get something signed by January/February for the very best of the houses. But really, relax about it, because there won't be a situation where there's no accommodation at all.

- Avoid Embrace (one of the big nightclubs) like the plague in Fresher's Week. You'll get in and be immediately faced with the problems of not being able to move anywhere, because it'll be so jam-packed. Last year, not only did they let in about 200 more people than they were allowed to, but the air conditioning also broke down. It took around 25 minutes to get a drink from the bars, too.

- Yes, you need only 40% to pass modules, but you might as well do your best anyway, get some practice in before it actually means anything.

- Having an embarrassing ringtone go off in a lecture is the best thing in the world, except when it's your ringtone. I've seen people practically disappear from view when it happens to them, especially when the lecturer made it clear he wanted mobiles off.

- Whatever you do, don't start questioning the lecturer during lecturers. It annoys them, causes them to lose their thread (meaning going over time to fit everything in), and nobody else will think you're being smart. Do the decent thing and wait until the end, and going to ask the lecturer directly.

- The walk from Ranmoor to the centre of Uni takes about 20-30 minutes and is a beast uphill with a bag full of books/other stuff every day. Get a bus back. It's only 50p.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazza558)

Ask me anything about my experiences in Sheffield last year and I should be able to give you a decent answer. I stayed in Ranmoor, went out quite a bit and studied Geog and Politics. I can tell you:

- Fresher's Week is utter madness. A lot of people tend to do "flat crawls" going from flat to flat and just getting used to their surroundings. Just go with whatever's going on, but obviously don't feel like you "have" to do anything. Just, it's better to be sociable. In fact, some girl on here recognised me, said "are you Mazza558?" - but I don't think I've seen her since.

- It takes about half a year before you're indistinguishable from the older students, but before that, you go around in huge groups which fragment as people find true friends, rather than just people to hang out with.

- The best seats in the IC (library) are the HUGE futuristic-looking armchairs facing the windows. Completely quiet and decent for laptop work too. The other libraries are arcane and slightly creepy (as they are at the moment).

- Second year accommodation? Don't start too soon but I'd aim to get something signed by January/February for the very best of the houses. But really, relax about it, because there won't be a situation where there's no accommodation at all.

- Avoid Embrace (one of the big nightclubs) like the plague in Fresher's Week. You'll get in and be immediately faced with the problems of not being able to move anywhere, because it'll be so jam-packed. Last year, not only did they let in about 200 more people than they were allowed to, but the air conditioning also broke down. It took around 25 minutes to get a drink from the bars, too.

- Yes, the pass rate in the first year is just 40%, but you might as well do your best anyway, get some practice in before it actually means anything.

- Having an embarrassing ringtone go off in a lecture is the best thing in the world, except when it's your ringtone. I've seen people practically disappear from view when it happens to them, especially when the lecturer made it clear he wanted mobiles off.

- Whatever you do, don't start questioning the lecturer during lecturers. It annoys them, causes them to lose their thread (meaning going over time to fit everything in), and nobody else will think you're being smart. Do the decent thing and wait until the end, and going to ask the lecturer directly.

- The walk from Ranmoor to the centre of Uni takes about 20-30 minutes and is a beast uphill with a bag full of books/other stuff every day. Get a bus back. It's only 50p.
    Hahahhh. Embrace oh Embrace.. Well, one should go to Embrace at least once
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with Embrace! :p: I really like it on a Friday. Just don't go on the rubbish nights, or in freshers, and it's fine.

To be honest, everywhere is packed in freshers - most places are worth re-visiting when things have died down a bit, even if you didn't like them the first time.

I can't think of any more advice to add, except maybe in addition to what you said about housing. Most of my friends signed their contracts before Christmas, which meant everyone got nice houses...but a few people have since fallen out with their future housemates. Housing a difficult situation really, and I'd say start looking around December and probably sign before February if you want a good choice.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went to Embrace on a Monday once and quite enjoyed it, but on weekends it is hell! Not worth the money at all.

I disagree with the bus thing, although I did live in Endcliffe. I probably would have gained a lot more weight if I didn't have my hour walk there and back everyday, and my legs became so strong from walking up the hills all the time!

I'm so jealous of all the new freshers for having all of this to look forward to! Reading through this has made me want to go back.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How it is with that S10 fitness centre..? I want to buy that off-peak membership for 150 pounds annually but I don't know if I will have time to go to the gym between 7am and 5pm... ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merlinn)
    How it is with that S10 fitness centre..? I want to buy that off-peak membership for 150 pounds annually but I don't know if I will have time to go to the gym between 7am and 5pm... ?
    From what I've heard (more sporty flatmates) it's only worth it if you are very serious about it, because that's a lot of money. If you're going to go at least three times a week, it's probably worth it. A lot of people simply exercise on their own though.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends what course you're on as to whether you'll have time. I only had six hours a week as there was plenty of time to go swimming off-peak but I had flatmates how were in pretty much 9-5 most days (with breaks inbetween). You could wait and see your timetable because you might find that you have a couple of hours spare mid-week that you could fit a gym session into.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard (more sporty flatmates) it's only worth it if you are very serious about it, because that's a lot of money. If you're going to go at least three times a week, it's probably worth it. A lot of people simply exercise on their own though.
    150 pounds annually is a pretty good price I think, and yes I am really serious about it (I believe that 150 annually is also for sauna and pool, or?) How long is it there by bus/feet from the Endcliffe village approx.?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Embrace is a **** nightclub full stop. The only locals that go are 15 yr olds and chavs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How Ranmoor? Do you know anything about Ravenstones apartments? thx
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenly_greenly)
    How Ranmoor? Do you know anything about Ravenstones apartments? thx
    All the buildings are basically the same other than the colour of the flats (Red, blue or green). You get a pretty spacious room (look out for notes from people who lived there last year - I know a couple who did this). The pressure of the showers is best if you're near the kitchen and worst at the other end. There's a couple of room inspections but they're quite lenient, provided you haven't blown a hole in the wall or anything. If you're not facing shore lane and/or you're high up, noise won't be a problem really (other than from people in adjacent rooms, *cough*). Watch out if you have any mech-eng flatmates, they might be tempted to break into the waterpipe closets between rooms and turn your hot water off, or even add food colouring to your toilet water. That sucks.

I ended up in what can only be described as a "water war" after changing a flatmate's name on Facebook to "Judith" (she hates the name). She waited for me to exit my room and threw a bucket of water on me. So I got her back later on, and we're even now. That's the sort of thing that can and will happen, so be wary. (It was all in good humour).

Oh, and be decent to your flatmates when they're drunk and in need of assistance. Especially when you recommend they try "cranberry and vodka" because "they won't be able to taste the vodka". (This was the same flatmate). I ended up putting a poster on her door, with a photo of the drink and the words "never again, <her name> underneath.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    All the buildings are basically the same other than the colour of the flats (Red, blue or green). You get a pretty spacious room (look out for notes from people who lived there last year - I know a couple who did this). The pressure of the showers is best if you're near the kitchen and worst at the other end. There's a couple of room inspections but they're quite lenient, provided you haven't blown a hole in the wall or anything. If you're not facing shore lane and/or you're high up, noise won't be a problem really (other than from people in adjacent rooms, *cough*). Watch out if you have any mech-eng flatmates, they might be tempted to break into the waterpipe closets between rooms and turn your hot water off, or even add food colouring to your toilet water. That sucks.

I ended up in what can only be described as a "water war" after changing a flatmate's name on Facebook to "Judith" (she hates the name). She waited for me to exit my room and threw a bucket of water on me. So I got her back later on, and we're even now. That's the sort of thing that can and will happen, so be wary. (It was all in good humour).

Oh, and be decent to your flatmates when they're drunk and in need of assistance. Especially when you recommend they try "cranberry and vodka" because "they won't be able to taste the vodka". (This was the same flatmate). I ended up putting a poster on her door, with a photo of the drink and the words "never again, <her name> underneath.
    I like how you started off with really useful information and then just trailed off into a load of boring stereotypical anecdotes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TickTockBoom)
    I like how you started off with really useful information and then just trailed off into a load of boring stereotypical anecdotes.
    I suppose I had a "stereotypical first year" at Sheffield, then. It'd be a bit useless if I tried to give out advice having done none of those things; be a bit fraudulent, no?

But I understand what you mean. It's easy to say they're stereotypical if you've been there, done that - but if you haven't, you don't really have any idea what to expect. Nonetheless, the useful information is there in the first place.

150 pounds annually is a pretty good price I think, and yes I am really serious about it (I believe that 150 annually is also for sauna and pool, or?) How long is it there by bus/feet from the Endcliffe village approx.?
    It depends where you are in the village, but if you're at the near end, it's about a 15-20 minute walk or so. There's no buses directly there and you won't get there any faster than walking, so it's best to do the latter. There's some good places to cycle to the West of Sheffield (towards the peak district) too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I had a "stereotypical first year" at Sheffield, then. It'd be a bit useless if I tried to give out advice having done none of those things; be a bit fraudulent, no?

But I understand what you mean. It's easy to say they're stereotypical if you've been there, done that - but if you haven't, you don't really have any idea what to expect.
    Meh...I guess you were trying to be helpful. Sorry for being a bitch :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TickTockBoom)
    Meh...I guess you were trying to be helpful. Sorry for being a bitch :p:
    Don't worry about it; I do tend to ramble :yep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What did you do during the days of freshers week (as opposed to nights) - were there lots of introductory lectures or what?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

- Yes, the pass rate in the first year is just 40%, but you might as well do your best anyway, get some practice in before it actually means anything.

one question-how many girls did you sleep with during freshers week?
    thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Best bit about your Geography modules? (You'll never guess what I'm doing at Sheffield )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I went to Embrace on a Monday once and quite enjoyed it, but on weekends it is hell! Not worth the money at all.

I disagree with the bus thing, although I did live in Endcliffe. I probably would have gained a lot more weight if I didn't have my hour walk there and back everyday, and my legs became so strong from walking up the hills all the time!

I'm so jealous of all the new freshers for having all of this to look forward to! Reading through this has made me want to go back.
    Totally agree about the bus thing...the walking is fun and it's so sociable...pretty much made all my friends on walks to/from uni! People who live closer to the uni or get a bus don't seem to have many friends on my course

And aww...so many Sheffield people on here..who knew!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bettina <3)
    What did you do during the days of freshers week (as opposed to nights) - were there lots of introductory lectures or what?
    Ah, the days. There's quite a lot going on actually - you have the activities/freshers fairs midweek, plenty of freebies there. There is no way you can do everything on offer in that week, so choose stuff that interests you. The two villages have their own separate events with yet more free stuff. In the city there's also lots of discounts to try and entice you.

The main thing happening during freshers week is registration, which is usually in the fitness centre. Whatever you do, get there early (no matter how bad the hangover is) because otherwise you'll be faced with around 4 hours of queuing to get everything sorted. By the end of it you have your student card, are registered with the uni and their health service, and have chosen your modules. The latter part is a bit confusing but it won't take long to figure out.

In terms of lectures, there's actually more than you'd get on a typical week (though it varies with different modules) - though it's all just introductory and they don't expect much from you initially.

(Original post by andy786)
    one question-how many girls did you sleep with during freshers week?
    thank you
    None. Probably a big stereotype that "hurr durr you get laid all way through fresher's week". That doesn't happen unless it happened before you got to uni.

(Original post by heresthemoon)
    Best bit about your Geography modules? (You'll never guess what I'm doing at Sheffield )
    Hmm. GEO112, aka "Social and Cultural Geographies" is a love-hate thing with lots of people. It's sociology with geography tacked on, in my opinion. I actually enjoyed a module called GEO163, which spanned the whole year, involving lots of group work and getting to know your tutor group (this might even become a "second flat" of sorts if you get on enough).

Oh, and if you're doing Human Geog (Which i'm assuming), you have to do some stats. There's two lectures a week, so that's 20 hours. Again, love-hate. I didn't like it at the time but then decided that, yes, I did like it (only because I got a 1st in that module)

(Original post by cherrydrops)
    Totally agree about the bus thing...the walking is fun and it's so sociable...pretty much made all my friends on walks to/from uni! People who live closer to the uni or get a bus don't seem to have many friends on my course

And aww...so many Sheffield people on here..who knew!
    I actually walked the majority of the time too, but if it's been a bit of a bad day then it's good to get back quickly, so there's that.
    You have no idea how many albums I got through on those walks, haha

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: January 14, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.