The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of Sheffield Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

i'm trying to decide between sheffield, edinburgh and exeter for politics :frown:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by maxcartwright
i'm trying to decide between sheffield, edinburgh and exeter for politics :frown:

you're clearly not worried about how far you are. exeter and edinburgh are pretty far apart!!
Original post by mespannerhanz
you're clearly not worried about how far you are. exeter and edinburgh are pretty far apart!!

how far i am?u mean distance? yeah i dont mind. being in a new place seems fun :smile: problem is ive never been to any of the unis so i cant get a feel for them.
how far i am?u mean distance? yeah i dont mind. being in a new place seems fun :smile: problem is ive never been to any of the unis so i cant get a feel for them.

yeah! from what I've learnt from doing open days, don't apply to too many unis that you haven't visited. one or two is ok, but don't apply to 5 you havent visited unless you aren't at all fussy! because you want a couple that you are happy applying to and living in.
Reply 64
I've applied for Plant Sciences! :3
'We have considered your application and would like to invite you to the Department and the University, for an informative visit and interview, during which we will provide you with the conditions of your offer for the course you have applied for..' :biggrin:

Is it just me or does it sound like I'm getting an offer :/
Reply 66
Original post by ReBee
I've applied for Plant Sciences! :3

That's unusual and awesome. :smile:
Original post by bekylouisex3
'We have considered your application and would like to invite you to the Department and the University, for an informative visit and interview, during which we will provide you with the conditions of your offer for the course you have applied for..' :biggrin:

Is it just me or does it sound like I'm getting an offer :/

yes it basically is, but I think normally, you have to go to the post application day in order to actually get the offer. If you don't turn up = no offer, normally!
Reply 68

undoubtedly Sheffield :smile:, their politics department is off the scale!!
Original post by Bobbler
undoubtedly Sheffield :smile:, their politics department is off the scale!!

did you go to an open day?
Reply 70

did you go to an open day?

I did, then I came to Sheffield :wink:

It's known for being like 3rd in the country or something ridiculous like that anyway, and since I've got here I've actually fallen in love with it. The lecturers are just normal people who make the most boring topic (like the difference between political studies and political science) infinitely enjoyable! The seminars you have to go to are so interesting, even if sometimes there's a smart arse who monopolises every question, but usually your tutor quiets them down so everyone has a turn in discussing the topic; the first four weeks are about different case studies which are cool :smile:. And they're really helpful, all in all, Sheffield is amazing :wink:
Reply 71
Original post by Pi!
That's unusual and awesome. :smile:

Yes, the course is sadly dying. :frown: Even Imperial cut its Plant Sciences course.
Do they interview applicants for that course?
Original post by Bobbler
I did, then I came to Sheffield :wink:

It's known for being like 3rd in the country or something ridiculous like that anyway, and since I've got here I've actually fallen in love with it. The lecturers are just normal people who make the most boring topic (like the difference between political studies and political science) infinitely enjoyable! The seminars you have to go to are so interesting, even if sometimes there's a smart arse who monopolises every question, but usually your tutor quiets them down so everyone has a turn in discussing the topic; the first four weeks are about different case studies which are cool :smile:. And they're really helpful, all in all, Sheffield is amazing :wink:

sounds good :smile: is it a very big city? because i'm in london right now and miss green places :frown:
im looking at the international politics and security studies course :biggrin:
Original post by mespannerhanz
yes it basically is, but I think normally, you have to go to the post application day in order to actually get the offer. If you don't turn up = no offer, normally!

Original post by Nymthae
That's correct. I had that last year and I wasn't sure what to believe with the phrasing of it but when I got there they basically said 'you're all here because you're getting an offer'

You won't get one on UCAS until after that interview though. Not sure what they do if you can't attend but there's normally a few different dates (partially depending on the course (industry, europe etc.))

Phew! That's good to know :')
Username: Sugartoffee
Course: LLB Law with Spanish :smile:
Username: Ilovesourskittles
Course: Informatics

Loveee Sheffield, will be my insurance <3
Reply 76
Original post by ReBee
Yes, the course is sadly dying. :frown: Even Imperial cut its Plant Sciences course.
Do they interview applicants for that course?

I'm not sure.
Reply 77

sounds good :smile: is it a very big city? because i'm in london right now and miss green places :frown:
im looking at the international politics and security studies course :biggrin:

It's 4th biggest in the country, but you wouldn't think it at all; it's got the most trees per person in any city in the UK, the botanical gardens, numerous parks. It just feels like a big city & there's definitely greenery, plus there's the Peak District just down the road.

Ooh, I'm doing security studies as one of my modules in spring :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to it! Think you're the first year they've offered it to!
Reply 78
Username: cinquee
Course: French

:biggrin:
Username: lampshade1
Course: Philosophy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending