The Student Room Group

Using calculus to solve a physics question

this is so frustrating.. can someone please help??

5) Suppose that 2j of work is needed to stretch a spring from its natural lenght of 20cm to a length of 30cm. How much work is needed to stretch it from a length of 22cm to 28cm?
Use hookes law

The book's answer is 1.2j ... i got 4.99 j.. wtf

Here is what i did:

so f(x)=kx

so 2j=k (0.1)

k = 20N

and then i integrated and did the steps.. but i dont know what i did wrong :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by I HEART KFC!!!
this is so frustrating.. can someone please help??

5) Suppose that 2j of work is needed to stretch a spring from its natural lenght of 20cm to a length of 30cm. How much work is needed to stretch it from a length of 22cm to 28cm?
Use hookes law

The book's answer is 1.2j ... i got 4.99 j.. wtf

Here is what i did:

so f(x)=kx

so 2j=k (0.1)

k = 20N

and then i integrated and did the steps.. but i dont know what i did wrong :frown:

Hooke's Law is an equation for the force.

What you want is the energy.

This is where the calculus comes into it: F(x)=kx=dVdxF(x) = kx = \frac{\text{d}V}{\text{d}x}, where VV is the potential energy.

Integrate both sides w.r.t. xx, then substitute to get the value of kk. Then you can find the answer to the question. :yep:

Also, note that xx is the displacement from the spring's natural length.

For what it's worth, I agree with the book's answer. :yes:
bumppppppppppppppp
Original post by james.h
Hooke's Law is an equation for the force.

What you want is the energy.

This is where the calculus comes into it: F(x)=kx=dVdxF(x) = kx = \frac{\text{d}V}{\text{d}x}, where VV is the potential energy.

Integrate both sides w.r.t. xx, then substitute to get the value of kk. Then you can find the answer to the question. :yep:

Also, note that xx is the displacement from the spring's natural length.

For what it's worth, I agree with the book's answer. :yes:

thanks for the reply.. whats w.r.t?
Reply 4
thanks for the reply.. whats w.r.t?

Sorry, it's short for 'with respect to'.

So: V=Fdx=kx dx\displaystyle V=\int F \text{d}x = \int kx \text{ d}x
Original post by james.h
Sorry, it's short for 'with respect to'.

So: V=Fdx=kx dx\displaystyle V=\int F \text{d}x = \int kx \text{ d}x

hmmm so v= Fx= kx^2/2 ?? and then i do F= w/d so 2j / 0.10m so i get 20 N and then i substitute the 20 in the x? I am feeling kinda lost aye
Reply 6
hmmm so v= Fx= kx^2/2 ?? and then i do F= w/d so 2j / 0.10m so i get 20 N and then i substitute the 20 in the x? I am feeling kinda lost aye

You have the right expression for the energy, W=12kx2W=\frac{1}{2}kx^2, but the wrong value for kk. :yes:

Given W=2W=2 when x=(0.300.20)=0.1x=(0.30 - 0.20) = 0.1, substitute those values in again and see what you get. Don't forget to square the xx!

Value of k

Original post by james.h
You have the right expression for the energy, W=12kx2W=\frac{1}{2}kx^2, but the wrong value for kk. :yes:

Given W=2W=2 when x=(0.300.20)=0.1x=(0.30 - 0.20) = 0.1, substitute those values in again and see what you get. Don't forget to square the xx!

Value of k

I dont understand why we are using the equation W =0.5k x^2 .. why cant we use w = F d

anyways i got k=400?

far out i am so confused :redface:

Edit : sorry i didnt notice that u put k= 400

anyways what do i do next?
Reply 8
I dont understand why we are using the equation W =0.5k x^2 .. why cant we use w = F d

anyways i got k=400?

far out i am so confused :redface:

If you take a force of the form F=cF=c, where cc is some constant, integrating will give you W=cxW=cx, which is equivalent to W=FdW=Fd.

W=FdW=Fd is for situations where the force does not change with distance, dd. In the case of a spring, the force grows larger as xx, the displacement from its natural length, increases. You can see this from the form of Hooke's law, F=kxF=kx: as xx increases, so does FF because kk is a constant.

Anyway, now that you have the right value of kk, you can move onto finding what the question asked for. :smile:

Remembering that the natural length of the spring is 20cm = 0.2m, the potential energy associated with an extension from 22cm to 28cm will be simply:

W=12k(0.280.20)212k(0.220.20)2W=\frac{1}{2}k(0.28 - 0.20)^2 - \frac{1}{2}k(0.22 - 0.20)^2

That is, the difference between the energy stored in the spring at extensions of 28cm and 22cm. :yep:

Post again if this still sounds like a mystery to you. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by james.h
If you take a force of the form F=cF=c, where cc is some constant, integrating will give you W=cxW=cx, which is equivalent to W=FdW=Fd.

W=FdW=Fd is for situations where the force does not change with distance, dd. In the case of a spring, the force grows larger as xx, the displacement from its natural length, increases.

Anyway, now that you have the right value of kk, you can move onto finding what the question asked for. :smile:

Remembering that the natural length of the spring is 20cm = 0.2m, the potential energy associated with an extension from 22cm to 28cm will be simply:

W=12k(0.280.20)212k(0.220.20)2W=\frac{1}{2}k(0.28 - 0.20)^2 - \frac{1}{2}k(0.22 - 0.20)^2

That is, the difference between the energy stored in the spring at extensions of 28cm and 22cm. :yep:

Post again if this still sounds like a mystery to you. :biggrin:

how come u didnt use 0.30 in ur equation :redface: and umm okay i kinda get it but not really.. my book explains this a lot different
Reply 10
how come u didnt use 0.30 in ur equation :redface: and umm okay i kinda get it but not really.. my book explains this a lot different

Maybe it'd be better to check with your teacher or someone, then :erm:; I don't want to start teaching you an alternative method that'll only serve to confuse you. :p:

More detail on my approach, if you're interested

Original post by james.h
Maybe it'd be better to check with your teacher or someone, then :erm:; I don't want to start teaching you an alternative method that'll only serve to confuse you. :p:

More detail on my approach, if you're interested

Thats awesome..man. thanks for this a lot.. im gonna try and understand it right now.. i'll post back if i have trouble with it

Edit: my teacher is one dumb bitch.. so i'll refrain from talking to her.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Calculus can be a bit confusing at first, but practise makes perfect. :biggrin:

I'm off to have some food now, but I should be back later. :yep:

EDIT: Who negged you? :s-smilie:
Original post by james.h
Calculus can be a bit confusing at first, but practise makes perfect. :biggrin:

I'm off to have some food now, but I should be back later. :yep:

EDIT: Who negged you? :s-smilie:

its probably ma teacher :tongue: anyways i kinda dont get this.. and i have my exam in a couple of hours.. i guess im gonna **** up this question.. i'll try my best though and go over what u said
Reply 14
its probably ma teacher :tongue: anyways i kinda dont get this...and i have my exam in a couple of hours...i guess im gonna **** up this question...i'll try my best though and go over what u said

:p:

Good luck with your exam! :smile:
Original post by james.h
:p:

Good luck with your exam! :smile:

WOOOHOO just had my test.. this type of question didnt come.. ****in sucks i spent more than 2 hours figuring it out. overall test was good... cheers for the help mate!
Dont see why calculus was necessary? Couldn't you just use E=1/2ke^2 for both equations?
Reply 17
Original post by Lukedavidhopkins1
Dont see why calculus was necessary? Couldn't you just use E=1/2ke^2 for both equations?

Yes, you do that equation for both. :p: But calculus is necessary to get to it, as far as I'm aware. :yep:

I was under the impression, given the way the OP worded the question, that the equation for the potential energy stored in a spring was not 'assumed prior knowledge'. :dontknow:
Original post by james.h

Original post by james.h
Yes, you do that equation for both. :p: But calculus is necessary to get to it, as far as I'm aware. :yep:

I was under the impression, given the way the OP worded the question, that the equation for the potential energy stored in a spring was not 'assumed prior knowledge'. :dontknow:

Ah I see what you mean :smile: if it wasn't assumed knowledge then calculus would definitely be necessary :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest