The Student Room Group

Psychology UNI choices help!

Hello; i am applying for UNI's for 2012 to do Psychology.

I live in london and decided not to move out because of the £9000 per year fees etc and personal reasons.

My AS grades were

Psychology : B (5 marks of A)
English Lit: C
History : D
RE : B

I am resiting a unit in History where I got the D because my teachers and I know i am capable of a B just had family problems so could not focus well on the exam.
But not writing in my references had family problems etc (no sob stories, just doing what i can)

my teachers are predicting me
Psychology: A
English: C
History: C (cant predict higher due to the D grade)
RE: B

I decided to apply to:
Goldsmiths (ABB)
Hertfordshire (320 points)
Brunel (BBB)
St Marys (240 points)
West london (200-240 points)

I want to be a clinical psychologist so have extra years of Uni ahead...

are my choices realistic or too high?
They seem fine. Goldsmiths seems quite high entry requirements, never seen that before. Anyway, I think your best shot is Brunel, they are a great University. I really wouldnt advise West London. Not one bit. Have you considered Royal Holloway? I think they are ABB.
It seems like a good, realistic set of choices you've got there, although frankly I'm not too sure about University of West London (the new name for TVU, apparently - you learn something new every day) as frankly it's a bit shoddy.

On the plus side though, the content of all psych courses is pretty similar, presuming that you do a BPS accredited one (and there's no point in doing anything else) so there's less to consider.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr. Approachable
They seem fine. Goldsmiths seems quite high entry requirements, never seen that before. Anyway, I think your best shot is Brunel, they are a great University. I really wouldnt advise West London. Not one bit. Have you considered Royal Holloway? I think they are ABB.

AAB.
My correction then
Reply 5
I'd agree that Brunel is probably the best fit/chance?

And thinking about clinical psychology training the future, not sure how much you know about this at this stage, but definitely try your best to get a 1st at uni- it will massively help you out when applying for the doctorate. Plus starting to do some voluntary experience now (e.g. samaritans, childline, hospitals etc.) would be a really good idea- and if you can continue this through uni, even better.
Reply 6
Original post by LondonLT

I live in london and decided not to move out because of the £9000 per year fees etc and personal reasons.

I decided to apply to:
Goldsmiths (ABB)
Hertfordshire (320 points)
Brunel (BBB)
St Marys (240 points)
West london (200-240 points)

I want to be a clinical psychologist so have extra years of Uni ahead...

are my choices realistic or too high?

Hey Im not moving out either. But don't you think hertfordshire and goldsmith are abit too far to travel everyday

Also, no the grade requirements are fine. To do psychology most good unis require AAB. If worse comes to worse you still have west london as a back up.
Reply 7
yee west london is my back up.... but like SUPER BACK UP.
i wanted to go goldsmiths but it is really far to travel.

i changedd hertfordshire to middlesex
and going to choose choices in marchh

Quick Reply

Latest