The Student Room Group

New Car + Insurance

Scroll to see replies

why buy something so new with this uncertain money issue - especially something such as a corsa?! even though corsas have a sort of 'low' listprice to most other cars, they still depreciate big chunks from its brandnew price after first years of ownership O.O''

even something one year or two years old, on maybe 09, 59 or 10 plate, will be a few grand less............
Quotes are high because young male drivers have the most accidents. Manchester is one area where insurers have been hit hard, so as a result they either refuse to quote or charge very high premiums to reflect the risk they are taking.

You either have to get a very uncool car or pass your test and then wait until you are older before buying and insuring one.

Alternative is to move unfortunately.

You could try a local motor insurance broker as they will know their market and may be able to get you a lower quote. However it's not much good trying to compare your quotes with others on here unless they are from the same area etc.
Reply 22
Original post by Emma:-)
If you cant afford to buy a new car outright, then why dont you buy a second hand car. It will be cheaper (so more affordable), and with most younger drivers, older cars are cheaper to insure as well.
Its also usually cheaper to have your own insurance policy, with you as the main driver, than you be the named driver on someone elses policy. For example this year- with me having driven for a year (with a years no claims), being insured on my mums car as a named driver (fully comp) would be £1200. But me being insured on my own car as the main driver only cost £660.

Hi Emma, I fully understand however it seems the cars that we look for in older models seem to be the same price as the insurance of the new car? However to be honest i am not looking to be named driver i just was regarding the matter on behalf of my brother because i wont mind not driving for couple of years after i hopefully finished university i know it seems long but i think i would cope being driven by my brother. However the insurances we have looked at for my brother is mainly because we live in manchester and the quotes are too high/expensive and it would be my brother main driver on the policy as my father who now passed away was the only driver in the family. Therefore he cannot add a parent onto the policy or vice-versa. However if people would be kind enough to give up some of their own time which i (and family) would appreciate look for a insurance quote for a m8 postcode area would be great as i haven't still found anything cheaper than a 4333.78 insurance for my brother.
The insurance for older cars and newer cars is similar because the main risk to the insurers is the cost of third party claims - some of these can run into £m's of £'s.

As it's you doing all the legwork your brother doesn't seem too bothered whether there is a car or not. Rather than get into debt why don't you save your money - you can get an awful lot of taxis for £4k (and by the way that's about average for a low group car in Manchester - you're unlikely to get much cheaper).
Reply 24
Original post by Someone's mum
The insurance for older cars and newer cars is similar because the main risk to the insurers is the cost of third party claims - some of these can run into £m's of £'s.

As it's you doing all the legwork your brother doesn't seem too bothered whether there is a car or not. Rather than get into debt why don't you save your money - you can get an awful lot of taxis for £4k (and by the way that's about average for a low group car in Manchester - you're unlikely to get much cheaper).

Lowest quote so far was for a vauxhall corsa ecoflex s 2011 1.0l. Comprehensive cover as well with admiral for 4333.78. However me and my older brother have both passed. He is not looking into the details of cars and insurance etc due to university. So therefore i told him i would look into it and help him out as we have both passed. Just looking at insurance quotes for in his name and our address. I changed - park in driveway to on road - and it seemed quite cheaper of about 100-200 £'s.

We would not drive most of the week just the occasion for example weekly shopping etc.

Possibly would drive 2-5 hours each week. (NOT AT NIGHT) would possibly be between 11am-5pm. Thats it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending