The Student Room Group

Whatever happened about the FTL particles at CERN?

I remember hearing about it when it happened, and that they decided that they must have made miscalculations somewhere along the line. I didn't follow it as closely as maybe I should have done, so I've not heard anything since. Was it disproved, or have they confirmed that they indeed travelled faster than light?
I think they're still trying to find systematic errors in the experimentation. These things can take a long time :smile:
Reply 2
Don't excpect anything special from this.

Even if it wasn't a mistake, though the significance is heavy, the practical use of it is almost null for the time being.
Not sure if this has been agreed on, but I did read something yesterday about a uniersity somewhere (I think in canada) thinking they have the answer. It was about the GPS used to track the particles and how the effect of relativity was not taken into account with the satelites. They calculated a value for how far out the timing would be, and it was exactly the same as how far out the actual timing was from the speed of light in the LHC.
Reply 4
Method of test is still being evaluated. But me and a friend have made a celebratory troll meme just for the occasion in assumption; http://memegenerator.net/instance/10546100
Reply 5
They're still looking for that Higgs Boson thing or whatever it is.

So much for CERN proving religion wrong.
Reply 6
Original post by Bakmouth

I thought you quit because of bullying?
Reply 7
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/27260/

Still needs to go through peer review, but it's looking likely that they didn't account for the relative frames of motion of the GPS mesh and ground.
Reply 8
I really hope that it's right. I can't see a use for it yet but it would be incredibly interesting :smile:
Original post by Bakmouth

Whether or not the Higgs boson is found will make no difference to religion. CERN pursues scientific knowledge and seeks to prove nothing in relation to religion.
I'm still waiting for a case of head crabs in some far off city so I can invest in Crowbar stock.

My dad has 3 so I'm pretty good.
Reply 11
the FTL particles were going so fast they GTFO
Reply 12
The scientists are thinking give them time!
Reply 13
It's funny. I understand the whole concept of the speed of light, and I know why it should be impossible for them to be faster. But the thought of something arriving before it's been sent - mind-blowing.

As much as I want this to be true, I just can't see it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending