The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit 4 AQA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Alpha5

Original post by Alpha5
What's likely to come up on chromatography?

I think gal liquid chromatography will probably come up,

can someone explain optical isomers, i hate it :/
my teacher reckons this exam is gonna be really hard because apparantly CHEM1 was really tough.
Reply 202
Original post by rommy123

I think gal liquid chromatography will probably come up,

can someone explain optical isomers, i hate it :/

Optical Isomers have a chiral carbon, so each chain coming off the C atom is different.

also they are mirror images so they can't be superimposed (basically a good example is your hands... put them on top of each other any they are not the same, they are mirror images...)

So in the exam they will probs ask you what kind of isomerism a molecule is... Just search for the chiral carbon and that's pretty much it...

Need anymore help? :smile:
Reply 203
Original post by tgarrud

Original post by tgarrud
my teacher reckons this exam is gonna be really hard because apparantly CHEM1 was really tough.

quick prayer to the chem gods should sort that **** out :P
Reply 204
Original post by anna258

Original post by anna258
Optical Isomers have a chiral carbon, so each chain coming off the C atom is different.

also they are mirror images so they can't be superimposed (basically a good example is your hands... put them on top of each other any they are not the same, they are mirror images...)

So in the exam they will probs ask you what kind of isomerism a molecule is... Just search for the chiral carbon and that's pretty much it...

Need anymore help? :smile:

Thankyouu :smile:
can you explain what racemic means? :s-smilie: thanks
Thankyouu :smile:
can you explain what racemic means? :s-smilie: thanks

There is an equal amount of each optical isomer produced (50:50)this mixture is called a racemic mixture or racemate
Hope dat helps hehe
Reply 206
Original post by bubbletrouble

Original post by bubbletrouble
There is an equal amount of each optical isomer produced (50:50)this mixture is called a racemic mixture or racemate
Hope dat helps hehe

Original post by anna258
quick prayer to the chem gods should sort that **** out :P

haha yeah. To be fair there isn't a great amount they can do with CHEM4 to make it really hard so I think it'll probobly be fine :tongue:
Original post by tgarrud
my teacher reckons this exam is gonna be really hard because apparantly chem1 was really tough.

chem 1 was horrible.
Reply 209
Original post by Bubbles94

chem 1 was horrible.

I resat chem 2 yesterday and it was a quite an easy paper
wishing chem 4 will be the same :smile:

you can determine which enantiomer (optical isomer) is present in a solution by passing the solution through a plane of polarised light. One enantiomer will rotate the plane anti-clockwise, the other will rotate it clockwise. A racemate/ racemic mixture will not do this so it is optically inactive

the importance of finding the optical isomer is mainly for medicine, because one can have the desired effect, one can have side effects.

however racemates are favored in the industrial process as it is very expensive to separate the mixture to give the 2 enantiomers
I resat chem 2 yesterday and it was a quite an easy paper
wishing chem 4 will be the same :smile:

chem 2 was good! but i dont want to tempt fate ><
Reply 212

you can determine which enantiomer (optical isomer) is present in a solution by passing the solution through a plane of polarised light. One enantiomer will rotate the plane anti-clockwise, the other will rotate it clockwise. A racemate/ racemic mixture will not do this so it is optically inactive

the importance of finding the optical isomer is mainly for medicine, because one can have the desired effect, one can have side effects.

however racemates are favored in the industrial process as it is very expensive to separate the mixture to give the 2 enantiomers

thanks for that :smile:
Reply 213

chem 2 was good! but i dont want to tempt fate &gt;&lt;

yup what do you find the hardest in this unit?
(edited 12 years ago)
yup what do you find the hardest?

in chem 2, metal extraction equations :L

in Chem 4 that damn N.M.R -_-
Reply 215
:O i hate N.M.R find it really difficult sometimes :/

are you okay with ph and buffers?
Reply 216
pH and buffers are like the only parts of chem 4 I'm happy with, all the maths bits too, organic chem is a killer
pH and buffers is fine, i'm alright on about 80% of the organics, i know all the mechanisms, its just n...m...r.... -_- -_- -_-
Reply 218
Original post by wizzar

Original post by wizzar
pH and buffers are like the only parts of chem 4 I'm happy with, all the maths bits too, organic chem is a killer

i find ph and buffers and all the maths part really easy, don`t like organic :/
i find ph and buffers and all the maths part really easy, don`t like organic :/

i just sit down and solidy revise organics for hours untill it sticks in my head..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending