The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit 4 AQA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by handsome7654
We need to know that for unit 4??!! :eek:

Well it could come up, as we learn about the benzene ring, and amides..

Original post by MuffinMonster
I guess that sorta works like carboxylic acids :smile: only its an amide...

Yeah, I'm just confused you'd need the carbox bit in it though.. :s-smilie:
need to know what?
Reply 222
Do we need to have indicators memorised? Teaching on this unit has been a bit iffy, and the textbook I've got hasn't been much help - we only finished the unit today.
Reply 223
Original post by Accalia

Original post by Accalia
Do we need to have indicators memorised? Teaching on this unit has been a bit iffy, and the textbook I've got hasn't been much help - we only finished the unit today.

hmm perhaps... some exam questions give you the indicators and their end points to choose from but in other Q's they expect you to know it. Hard to call... :smile:
Original post by Accalia

Original post by Accalia

I think if they ask you how you would distinguish between compounds and you say pH indicator, you have to say which one and the colour change.
Reply 225

We need to know that for unit 4??!! :eek:

don't think we do... it's not on the spec and it hasn't come up on exam papers yet! :smile:
Reply 226
Original post by anna258
hmm perhaps... some exam questions give you the indicators and their end points to choose from but in other Q's they expect you to know it. Hard to call... :smile:

If there's a chance (even a small one, I've only seen one question worth one mark expecting you to know), I suppose I have no choice... :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa
Well it could come up, as we learn about the benzene ring, and amide...

Ohh! :redface:
Original post by anna258
don't think we do... it's not on the spec and it hasn't come up on exam papers yet! :smile:

Ohh good! :biggrin:
i dont know.. phenylamines will come up because that links to nitration and reduction. never heard of benzamide or whatever it's called..
Reply 230
Original post by KnowstheLaw
Was like 83 I think! Really low. If the actual exam is like this, i will be a happy man.

Please tell me that's UMS... 83 out of 90 doesn't sound good to me (especially considering a few other grade boundaries I've seen, for other subjects).
Reply 231
Original post by Accalia

They don't expect you to memorise indicators :tongue:

They only expect you to know WHEN it's appropriate to use different indicators.
anyone else reaaally not looking forward to this..? :L
Hello! Dont know if anyone can help me with an 'exam style question' on page 28.

Question 3c ... It's the ideal gas equation using a container of volume 11.5dm^-3 . The mark scheme says to use (11.5x10^-3) as he volume but I thought the ideal gas equation used cubic litres of gas... !?
Reply 234
Original post by Bubbles94

anyone else reaaally not looking forward to this..? :L

Mee :frown:
just gone through kinetics and equlibria and ph and buffer calculations again..
time for organic :angry:
Reply 235
Original post by Loulibelle
Hello! Dont know if anyone can help me with an 'exam style question' on page 28.

Question 3c ... It's the ideal gas equation using a container of volume 11.5dm^-3 . The mark scheme says to use (11.5x10^-3) as he volume but I thought the ideal gas equation used cubic litres of gas... !?

That confused me too. Is PV = nRT the one where volume has to be converted to metres cubed? That could explain it, as 1000 decimetre cubed = 1 metre cubed (and a decimetre cubed = litre).

Cubed has stopped looking like a word to me :lol:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Accalia

Original post by Accalia
That confused me too. Is PV = nRT the one where volume has to be converted to metres cubed? That could explain it, as 1000 decimetre cubed = 1 metre cubed (and a decimetre cubed = litre).

Cubed has stopped looking like a word to me :lol:

Ah, so use metres cubed... which is dm cubed x 10^-3....
:smile:
Original post by Accalia
Please tell me that's UMS... 83 out of 90 doesn't sound good to me (especially considering a few other grade boundaries I've seen, for other subjects).

83/100 raw marks

The ums boundaries do not change; thats the whole point in them being scaled.
Reply 238
i just sit down and solidy revise organics for hours untill it sticks in my head..

Yup, thats the plan, hours of raw, pure revision :smile:
Reply 239
Original post by wizzar

Original post by wizzar
Yup, thats the plan, hours of raw, pure revision :smile:

yup :smile: how much hours a day does everyone revise?

Quick Reply

Latest