The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Bec Greenhalgh
I have decided on entering at level 1 just because I like the idea of four years at Uni, but wondered what others were doing?
Who's entering at level 1 and who at level 2 and why?

I've applied for entry into level 2, mainly because...how should I put it?...I'm no spring chicken :smile:. If I was still 18 I'd be tempted to do the four years too, but I'm not plus there's the added extra costs. However, one of the Edinburgh Uni's is offering 4 year courses for the same price as 3 years. It could be HW...I can't remember. However, you still get the extra year of living costs to add to the total cost of your education. Also, I get the impression from the HW literature that if you're doing A-Levels they expect you to apply for entry into level 2. The same doesn't always apply to other Scottish universities.

It's your choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 201
.Anyone applied to civil engineering (with international studies)?
Reply 202
woooo got my offer for chem eng!! BBC!! :smile: pleased. thats 4 conditionals now!!!
Reply 203
Original post by Kost_119
Anyone doing I.B has got an offer from Heriot-Watt for Economics (L100) ??

Thanks!

Hey! I also applied to do Economics and i'm in the IB but they haven't told me anything yet. They only sent an acknowledgement letter a few days after I sent my application.

Btw, I have 37 predicted IB points.
Original post by grazie
I've applied for entry into level 2, mainly because...how should I put it?...I'm no spring chicken :smile:. If I was still 18 I'd be tempted to do the four years too, but I'm not plus there's the added extra costs. However, one of the Edinburgh Uni's is offering 4 year courses for the same price as 3 years. It could be HW...I can't remember. However, you still get the extra year of living costs to add to the total cost of your education. Also, I get the impression from the HW literature that if you're doing A-Levels they expect you to apply for entry into level 2. The same doesn't always apply to other Scottish universities.

It's your choice.

Thanks for the reply, and yes it is HW Uni of Edin will be £36,000 for the 4 years.
Living costs for an extra year is going to be a drop in the ocean considering the whole cost.
My only wonder was the age of Level 1 and level 2 applicants.
Do scottish students to go to uni with just highers got at 17? Does anyone know?
Thanks for the reply, and yes it is HW Uni of Edin will be £36,000 for the 4 years.
Living costs for an extra year is going to be a drop in the ocean considering the whole cost.
My only wonder was the age of Level 1 and level 2 applicants.
Do scottish students to go to uni with just highers got at 17? Does anyone know?

Probably around half of Scottish students will be 17 when they start uni, and a small number can be only 16.

Because my birthday is in January I finish school at 17.
Anyone going to the applicant day(s)?
Reply 207

Shouldn't that be £27,000 for the 4 years?
Original post by BecM
.Anyone applied to civil engineering (with international studies)?

Yes, got an unconditional.
Reply 209
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Anyone going to the applicant day(s)?

Yeah, maybe. I'll see if I can make it.

You?
Reply 210
Just to clear things up for the non-Scottish people on here, Heriot Watt are giving level 1 as free so a 4 year hons degree will be £27,000. The only Scottish unis that are going to charge the whole £36,000 are Edinburgh and St Andrews, the 2 unis that are the most popular with English students funnily enough. Well at least this is how I remember it being when they published their fees...
Original post by JordanR
Yeah, maybe. I'll see if I can make it.

You?

Aye. 30/3 and 13/4
Reply 212
Original post by qno2
Just to clear things up for the non-Scottish people on here, Heriot Watt are giving level 1 as free so a 4 year hons degree will be £27,000. The only Scottish unis that are going to charge the whole £36,000 are Edinburgh and St Andrews, the 2 unis that are the most popular with English students funnily enough. Well at least this is how I remember it being when they published their fees...

i dont think they are giving free level 1 to International students, right?
Reply 213
Original post by qno2

To be precise, it's a £27,000 cap. Level 1 will still have to be paid for, you just won't have to pay more than £27,000 + annual increments for whole four year course. In effect, it applies to English and possibly Welsh & Northern Ireland folk.

Original post by jonobebe
i dont think they are giving free level 1 to International students, right?

Correct :frown:
Reply 214
Original post by qno2

When you say non-scottish people you obviously mean International since European students are paying for the 1,820pounds fee like Scottish people
When you say non-scottish people you obviously mean International since European students are paying for the 1,820pounds fee like Scottish people

Scottish students pay no money.
Reply 216
Scottish students pay no money.

My point being, me as a EU student, i will pay 1,820pounds per year for tuition fees right?
My point being, me as a EU student, i will pay 1,820pounds per year for tuition fees right?

No.
Reply 218

EU legislation means that no host nation can charge more to other EU country residents than they charge their nationals. However, the UK have made an exception of the rule to residents of England, Wales and N.Ireland who are treated differently. There is currently a legal challenge to these regulations, but I suspect it will be unsuccessful.
Reply 219
No.

No? could you please enlighten me? How much will i pay as a EU student? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest