The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrisO95
got two unconditionals for actuarial science and financial mathematics last night as well. so glad

congratulations on the offer, both top degree's, if you have any questions regarding the degrees dont hesitate to ask as i have experience in both , as I changed from the actuarial to the financial course.

best luck in the Exams

(2nd year FM student)
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by the greatest
congratulations on the offer, both top degree's, if you have any questions regarding the degrees dont hesitate to ask as i have experience in both , as I changed from the actuarial to the financial course.

best luck in the Exams

(2nd year FM student)

what is your favourite part about the fin maths course, i have an unconditional and reckon it is my first choice, just trying to get as much info as possible. what made you change from act sci?
Reply 102

best luck in the Exams

(2nd year FM student)

a like the sound of the financial course because a would like to do something with investment could you still do that with the actuarial science course ? are you able to switch between the courses ?
Reply 103
Got second conditional offer for business management.
a like the sound of the financial course because a would like to do something with investment could you still do that with the actuarial science course ? are you able to switch between the courses ?

the financial maths course is more suited to an investment related career. and yes when i spoke to the professor at the open day i found out you the courses are exactly the same until 3rd year so you dont choose which you end up doing until the end of second year.
Just got an offer for Psychology (Forensic Science) - anyone else out there?

yup yo can do both with both degrees are there is alot of overlaop between the course. the first two years are exatly the same, whilst the third is mostly similar and in the last year it completely changes off.

you can change if you feel that way at the end of first or second year to one or the other, as thats what I did, but I wouldnt worry too much about it now, youll definitely get a better feel of what your likes and interests are when you join next year.
Original post by Hamill-time
what is your favourite part about the fin maths course, i have an unconditional and reckon it is my first choice, just trying to get as much info as possible. what made you change from act sci?

the Financial maths course is somewhat unique, as its not a very popular course in uk uni's. other unis may have a degree entitled financial maths but really their course is another name for a maths with finance degree.

The financial maths course though at HW is unique, its very similar to typical masters in FM in the uk, and the whole idea of financial maths is based on fundamental mathematical tools used in finance world. more specifically the ideas behind maths are underpined in idea's such as the black scholes forumla and option pricing, thats the main area of it, you should check it up quite interesting!

I initally switched becuase I felt the FM had alot more going for it, the act sci degree mainly had a focus on statistics, probability and actuarial mathematics i.e. pensions and life and other subjects as well such as financial math modules,.... but the financial maths module has a huge variety of module choices, whilst learning financial maths modules such as derivative pricing and continous time finance, (which involves alot of probability theory) the degree also has alot more math modules to chose from and I mean alot more!! Essentially the FM maths degree is a good mix of mathematics in partcular analysis and numerical analysis , also a mix of probability theory (alot of it) and financial maths as well, plus the idea of mainly doing statistics didnt seem to appealing plus I realised the job of an actuary for me seemed something I owuldnt enjoy
I've just got an unconditional for Civil Eng with international studies! So happy :smile:
Reply 109
Original post by Essex1875
Got second conditional offer for business management.

damn, you've totally freaked me out! i'm waiting on a conditional offer for business management or business management with marketing! hate waiting!!
Got an offer for BSc Psychology. Going for entry level 2. So happy right now.
Has anyone applying for Accounting had a reply yet?
Reply 112
I got an unconditional for Accountancy and Economics, yay :biggrin:!
Reply 113
Hey :smile: Got an offer for international business management with french as the main language! anyone else?
Reply 114
Ive applied for International B&M :smile: anyone else?
Reply 115
I've applied for fashion design, has anyone else received word back for their portfolio?
Reply 116
applied for mech engineering

anyone had offers yet?
Accepted the unconditional for Civil Eng and bailed out of school straight away, Lol.
Original post by Inlineadam
Accepted the unconditional for Civil Eng and bailed out of school straight away, Lol.

First of all I just accidentally neg'd your post on my iPod. Sorry.

And congrats. You gonna try get a job to earn some dosh upto September.

(PS See you there)
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
First of all I just accidentally neg'd your post on my iPod. Sorry.

And congrats. You gonna try get a job to earn some dosh upto September.

(PS See you there)

Haha no bother :smile:

I've got one lined up from March onwards,

Not entirely sure what i'll do for the next 6 weeks or so; looking at volunteering abroad or something maybe..

So who knows, we could be in halls together! I've tried accessing the UCAS thing where you chat before you go but it keeps telling me " no live applications " lol

Quick Reply

Latest