The Student Room Group

French Translation of "as much"

I've got a translation exercise to do and I've got a bit stuck on these sentences:

1) Let's begin with the fact that people travel just as much now as ten years ago.

My attempt:

Commençons par le fait que les gens voyagent......maintenant qu'il y a dix ans.

How do I translate the "just as much"?

2) You can't deny that environmental problems are just as important in both towns.

My attempt:

On ne peut pas nier que les problèmes de l'environnement soient..... importants dans les deux villes.

How do I translate "just as"?

Thanks very much in advance :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by conzag123
I've got a translation exercise to do and I've got a bit stuck on these sentences:

1) Let's begin with the fact that people travel just as much now as ten years ago.

My attempt:

Commençons par le fait que, aujourd'hui, les gens voyagent AUTANT QUE 'il y a dix ans.

How do I translate the "just as much"?

2) You can't deny that environmental problems are just as important in both towns.

My attempt:

On ne peut pas nier que les problèmes de l'environnement soient également importants dans les deux villes.

How do I translate "just as"?

Thanks very much in advance :biggrin:

I think! (edited)
(edited 12 years ago)
Commençons par le fait que les gens voyagent autant maintenant qu'il y a dix ans.
On ne peut pas nier que les problèmes de l'environnement soient également importants dans les deux villes.
Reply 3
1) autant
2) aussi

source : I'm french :smile:
Reply 4
Just remember that you don't need to translate literally :smile: Think of other ways to phrase it in English, then try translating from that if you find it easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending