The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry (F321) Jan 13th 2012

No one sems to have made a thread for this exam, so I thought I would make one.

Hows everyone finding this module?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi i'm Mubarak
I'm finding this module quite good, but i just needed a help on a question, if you know could you please help me with this question

Write the ionic equation for the reaction between magnesium and hydrochloric acid?
Original post by Mubarak.M
Hi i'm Mubarak
I'm finding this module quite good, but i just needed a help on a question, if you know could you please help me with this question

Write the ionic equation for the reaction between magnesium and hydrochloric acid?

Mg(s) + H^+(aq) + Cl^-(aq) ---> Mg^2+(aq) 2Cl^- + H2(g)
Reply 3
Does anyone have the june 2011 paper for it?
Original post by House1992
No one sems to have made a thread for this exam, so I thought I would make one.

Hows everyone finding this module?

:smile:

This module is one which almost all candidates take twice, some three times and others four times...it is the easiest module of all, and not too difficult if you learn your definitions. Calculations are very nice marks, but the explanations trends questions are slightly more dependent on ensuring your answers are concise.
Reply 5
Original post by intellectual1
Mg(s) + H^+(aq) + Cl^-(aq) ---> Mg^2+(aq) 2Cl^- + H2(g)

Thanks a lot
Original post by Mubarak.M
Thanks a lot

Learn your valencies and ions! :wink: That is the key to it all, and it is quite common to be asked to balance the equations as well. Also the state symbols, solid, aqueous, gas is quite important to consider when writing the equations.
Reply 7
does anyone have the june 2011 paper for it?
Reply 8
Original post by otrivine
does anyone have the june 2011 paper for it?

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/Unit%201/Jan%2011/F321Jan11.pdf.

I read Jan sorry, i don't think the June paper will be out yet, normally its around November when they bring them out for some reason
(edited 12 years ago)
This is quite a nice paper, here's some tips:
-Learn your definitions from the beginning, they are usually worth atleast 6-10 marks which can be a difference between and A and a C grade.

-Do practice calculations and make sure you able to manipulate formula with practice exam questions, you'll get the hang of it once you do lots of questions

-Please please please USE the specification! Have it with you when you are studying so you can tick off what you've covered, it's so helpful! Some of the answers are in the specification itself! You need to be able to use it wisely.

-Do all legacy papers, official papers and learn the markschemes.

Good luck to you all :smile:
The January grade boundaries are always significantly lower than June because people don't take it too seriously (you may see from the results in March unfortunately from people who don't work) so use that as an advantage and earn your A :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by LifeIsGood
This is quite a nice paper, here's some tips:
-Learn your definitions from the beginning, they are usually worth atleast 6-10 marks which can be a difference between and A and a C grade.

-Do practice calculations and make sure you able to manipulate formula with practice exam questions, you'll get the hang of it once you do lots of questions

-Please please please USE the specification! Have it with you when you are studying so you can tick off what you've covered, it's so helpful! Some of the answers are in the specification itself! You need to be able to use it wisely.

-Do all legacy papers, official papers and learn the markschemes.

Good luck to you all :smile:
The January grade boundaries are always significantly lower than June because people don't take it too seriously (you may see from the results in March unfortunately from people who don't work) so use that as an advantage and earn your A :smile:

thank you so much for your tips how about for biology paper? unit 1 any tips for that :confused::smile:
Reply 11
is it easy to make silly mistakes in these papers or is it straight forward usually?
thank you so much for your tips how about for biology paper? unit 1 any tips for that :confused::smile:

I do AQA which is a pain in the backside, it's different from OCR because the whole exam-style is completely off (and random at times!). General tips for Biology is just start revising and keeping on top of work because it's so much content to get your head around, it's not particularly hard but it is the most time-consuming IMO
is it easy to make silly mistakes in these papers or is it straight forward usually?

The exam papers will have a few tricks in them, I got tripped up last time and was a little thrown off by the different structure in the paper but as long as you know your stuff, it won't phase you. I was thinking "Wow, this paper is different" but I put down everything I knew and came out feeling confident. The best way to figure out common mistakes is reading and analysing examiner's reports. If lots of candidates failed one type of question, it's not a surprise they're going to ask it to the next lot so you need to study well and study smart :smile:
Reply 14
The exam papers will have a few tricks in them, I got tripped up last time and was a little thrown off by the different structure in the paper but as long as you know your stuff, it won't phase you. I was thinking "Wow, this paper is different" but I put down everything I knew and came out feeling confident. The best way to figure out common mistakes is reading and analysing examiner's reports. If lots of candidates failed one type of question, it's not a surprise they're going to ask it to the next lot so you need to study well and study smart :smile:

thanks and how much difference is the grade boundaries for an A is it like 42/60 for an A in Jan exams?
thanks and how much difference is the grade boundaries for an A is it like 42/60 for an A in Jan exams?

42-46 for an A. I think 46 has been the highest, not too sure so don't quote me on that. 49+ for an A in June and that was the lowest mark for an A

January 2011 - 44
June 2011 - 49
Reply 16
42-46 for an A. I think 46 has been the highest, not too sure so don't quote me on that. 49+ for an A in June and that was the lowest mark for an A

January 2011 - 44
June 2011 - 49

by the way do you have the june 2011 chemistry unit 1 paper?
by the way do you have the june 2011 chemistry unit 1 paper?

Nope but I didn't do the paper in June, I'm curious to see what the questions were like myself.
Reply 18
Nope but I didn't do the paper in June, I'm curious to see what the questions were like myself.

me too hopefully they will come out soon cause i want to see why the grade boundarie is really high?
me too hopefully they will come out soon cause i want to see why the grade boundarie is really high?

Alot of schools and colleges take examinations in the Summer only. Whilst a huge number retake exams in January, as well some colleges entering lots of candidates for the A2 papers for the first time. If you read the examiners reports, you'll find that they comment often that the January session has a huge number of candidates resitting the exam from the previous summer.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending