Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The I-SOC (Islamic Society) (IV)

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    My dad got this marinade sauce - Wagamama sweet teriyaki sauce, but it's got rice wine in it? I've never heard of it before, wondering if its haram? Obviously the word wine brings alcohol to mind but someone once told me that white wine vinegar was halal when made in a certain way? Not sure though, but jzk in advance to anyone who can answer my question
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayesha1234)
    My dad got this marinade sauce - Wagamama sweet teriyaki sauce, but it's got rice wine in it? I've never heard of it before, wondering if its haram? Obviously the word wine brings alcohol to mind but someone once told me that white wine vinegar was halal when made in a certain way? Not sure though, but jzk in advance to anyone who can answer my question
    Salam,
    Well white wine vinegar is ethanoic acid, not (alcohol). Industrially one can via a catalyst oxidise an alcohol to a carboxylic acid (lol too much chemistry), as long as no alcohol remains in the end, it is obvious that it is halal, since it is just vinegar.

I did a quick search for rice wine, according to Wikipedia it is an alcoholic beverage, meaning that it literally contains alcohol, actually more alcohol than the common wine, hence it is haram.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    :wavey:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    BRILLIANT mashallah

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    “You are nothing, but your ‘nothing’ is better than existence.
    You are drowned in loss, but your ‘loss’ is all gain.
    You say, ‘There is nothing in my possession except dust’.
    But all the heavens are envious of your ’dust’.”
    — Rumi
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:

strange title but awesome

http://nahdaproductions.org/in-focus...age-and-images

http://nahdaproductions.org/in-focus...dney-australia
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHuman)
    Salam,
    Well white wine vinegar is ethanoic acid, not (alcohol). Industrially one can via a catalyst oxidise an alcohol to a carboxylic acid (lol too much chemistry), as long as no alcohol remains in the end, it is obvious that it is halal, since it is just vinegar.

I did a quick search for rice wine, according to Wikipedia it is an alcoholic beverage, meaning that it literally contains alcohol, actually more alcohol than the common wine, hence it is haram.
    WSalam

Thanks, I guess I'll have to bin it or give it to next door lol.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayesha1234)
    WSalam

Thanks, I guess I'll have to bin it or give it to next door lol.
    Salam,

I'd personally bin it, some would argue that if you give something haraam to a Non-Muslim you are indirectly 'helping' them to commit a sin, I am not sure how many scholars share that view, but its probably the safer option to simply bin it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHuman)
    Salam,

I'd personally bin it, some would argue that if you give something haraam to a Non-Muslim you are indirectly 'helping' them to commit a sin, I am not sure how many scholars share that view, but its probably the safer option to simply bin it.
    Fair enough, it's just a shame that it's going to waste when someone else would happily take it. I do understand what you're saying though and it would be best just to dispose of it.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    :wavey:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    An Australian professor has warned religious groups that cigarette filters may contain traces of pig’s blood.

Simon Chapman said recent Dutch research has identified 185 different industrial uses for a pig - including the use of haemoglobin in cigarette filters.

The University of Sydney professor said the study offered an insight into the world of cigarette manufacturing and was likely to spark concerns for devout Muslims and Jews.

-

‘It just puts into hard relief the problem that the tobacco industry is not required to declare the ingredients of cigarettes - they say “that’s our business and a trade secret”.’

The research found pig haemoglobin - a blood protein - was being used to make the filters more effective at blocking toxic chemicals before they entered a smoker’s lungs.

Professor Chapman said that although some tobacco companies had voluntarily published a list of the contents in their cigarettes on websites, they also noted undisclosed ‘processing aids’ in the finished product.

Professor Chapman said: ‘If you’re a smoker and you’re of Islamic or Jewish faith then you’d probably want to know and there is no way of finding out.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz1q2rDxVYx

________________________________ ________________________________ ___________

Anyone else heard of this ?
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Abu Eesa asked a really interesting question :moon:

Social experiment: what would be easier for you to handle? The news of the death of your partner or the news that they had committed zina?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampire-Love4ever)
    An Australian professor has warned religious groups that cigarette filters may contain traces of pig’s blood.

Simon Chapman said recent Dutch research has identified 185 different industrial uses for a pig - including the use of haemoglobin in cigarette filters.

The University of Sydney professor said the study offered an insight into the world of cigarette manufacturing and was likely to spark concerns for devout Muslims and Jews.

-

‘It just puts into hard relief the problem that the tobacco industry is not required to declare the ingredients of cigarettes - they say “that’s our business and a trade secret”.’

The research found pig haemoglobin - a blood protein - was being used to make the filters more effective at blocking toxic chemicals before they entered a smoker’s lungs.

Professor Chapman said that although some tobacco companies had voluntarily published a list of the contents in their cigarettes on websites, they also noted undisclosed ‘processing aids’ in the finished product.

Professor Chapman said: ‘If you’re a smoker and you’re of Islamic or Jewish faith then you’d probably want to know and there is no way of finding out.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz1q2rDxVYx

________________________________ ________________________________ ___________

Anyone else heard of this ?
    Ew that's so gross :nooo:

But interesting to know, wonder how Muslim smokers would react to that
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:

Shaima Alawadi, a 32-year-old Iraqi woman living in Southern California, was taken off life support today, succumbing to injuries sustained in a brutal tire iron beating on Wednesday. Shaima was found in her living room, and according to her daughter Fatima and the police investigating, a note was found near her saying “Go back to your country, you terrorist.”

Shaima was a mother of five who has been in the US with her family since the mid-1990s. She was described by her friend Sura Alzaidy as “respectful modest muhajiba.” Her daughter tearfully addressed her mother’s attackers during a media interview, saying “You took my mother away from me. You took my best friend away from me. Why? Why did you do it?”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

________________________________ ________________________________ _____________

Inna Lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji’un ~
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Shaima Alawadi, a 32-year-old Iraqi woman living in Southern California, was taken off life support today, succumbing to injuries sustained in a brutal tire iron beating on Wednesday. Shaima was found in her living room, and according to her daughter Fatima and the police investigating, a note was found near her saying “Go back to your country, you terrorist.”

Shaima was a mother of five who has been in the US with her family since the mid-1990s. She was described by her friend Sura Alzaidy as “respectful modest muhajiba.” Her daughter tearfully addressed her mother’s attackers during a media interview, saying “You took my mother away from me. You took my best friend away from me. Why? Why did you do it?”

Oh my... I can't believe this,how can someone do something that brutal. I can't imagine what her daughter must be be going through. Insha'allah , they'll get some justice.

Lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji’un
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:

:'( Inna Lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji’un
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    "If one night you see someone committing a sin, tomorrow do not look at him as a sinner. He may have repented during the night and you did not know." Ali R.A.
Updated: December 1, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.