Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The I-SOC (Islamic Society) (IV)

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i'm going thorpe park tomorrow with my cousins and brother and we were wondering what we will do regarding food. Are there any halal places at thorpe park.
    Thanks
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getenoughsuarez)
    Hey guys, i'm going thorpe park tomorrow with my cousins and brother and we were wondering what we will do regarding food. Are there any halal places at thorpe park.
    Thanks
    I just neg repped you. :/ I was going to quote you, but I clicked the neg button. :puppyeyes: I'm sorrry!

There's a kebab place in thrope park, but I'm not sure if it's halal. You wouldn't find that much halal food in that area. I live quite close to it, and there's hardly any halal food places.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    There isn't but there is a fish and chip shop where the woman showed us the ingredients book for all of the food there and nothing (i.e the batter etc) has alcohol in it, and the food is fried separately but I guess I can still understand concern seeing as non-halal food is served there too.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    We usually take our own food to such places, you might as well do that
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:

Inshallah. I really hope ramadhan goes well for everyone here and they make use of it productively. Reminder to myself.

Remember our brothers and sisters that are suffering in this world and inshallah allah eases their burdens and suffering.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I understand that many of the following activities are seen as 'makrooh/makrooh tehreemee', as in very undesirable, right? Well, which ones of these am I not allowed to do during my fast, and which ones am I not allowed to do during Ramadan?

- swear
    - listen to music
    - watch films
    - watch sport
    - watch casual TV
    - talk to a member of the opposite sex

- (not that I do these, but as a matter of curiosity), have sexual relations
    - masturbate (for fear of committing adultery)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    - Go to a cricket match
    - Go to play a sport
    - Go to a theme park
    - Go to the cinema
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    I understand that many of the following activities are seen as 'makrooh/makrooh tehreemee', as in very undesirable, right? Well, which ones of these am I not allowed to do during my fast, and which ones am I not allowed to do during Ramadan?

- swear
    - listen to music
    - watch films
    - watch sport
    - watch casual TV

As far as I am aware you are supposed to resist from doing anything sinful.............but the first bit doesn't break your fast or the other list, it will I recall will lessen your rewards, not sure about leniency for doing somethings, like playing sports as exercising is beneficial.

Masturbation/sexual relation does break your fast................young men aren't even allowed to kiss their wives due to prevention but much older men were allowed as they are old during fasting........you can have sexual relations with your spouse outside of the hours of fasting as far as I know.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    And they ask you concerning the mountains, say: "My Lord will blast them and scatter them as particles of dust.

Then He shall leave them as a level smooth plain.

You will see therein nothing crooked nor curved."

On that Day mankind will follow strictly (the voice of) Allah's caller, no crookedness will show him. And all voices will be humbled for the Most Gracious, and nothing shall you hear but the low voice of their footsteps.

Sūrah Tā-Hā
    20:105-108
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)

- swear
    - listen to music
    - watch films
    - watch sport
    - watch casual TV

Any sexual activity during your fast, whether it is with your wife, someone else (may Allah swt protect us from this) or yourself during the fast will nullify your fast for that day. If you were to have a "wet dream" during your fast then that is not a problem.

As for the others, it is considered by most that doing those actions won't necessarily break your fast but it will detract from your good deeds, and Allaah knows best.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Salam, I would like some of your opinions. How many of you would be interested in seeing a social networking site specifically for Muslim university and college students - a site where Muslim students around the country can connect, participate in discussions, create groups/events, post ads etc. - a one-stop resource for Muslims in higher education or those contemplating higher education. Interesting idea or not needed? Please let me know, thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Salam guys :wavey:

I have a question regarding hijabs in the work place, specifically in hospitals.

I'm hopefully going to be doing some work experience in a hospital and will probably be in theaters as well. Obviously many hospitals don't allow any non-surgical head coverings in theaters (due to obvious H&S reasons), but are more lenient when on wards , so I'd probably have to take off my hijab whilst in the theatre and put it back on in the wards (I probably wouldn't be comfortable at first but if it has to be done, then it has to be done).

What is everyone's opinions on this? Any hijabis done worked in a health/hospital environment before?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    yeah it does, it's not allowed, but it does exist from articles I read before.......................esp ecially the stuff in Afghanistan and the Taliban which only care about safe-guarding their cultural views.
    To be honest it does give a view on how some areas of Muslim societies are like, but the issue with the article is that it makes it as though its acceptable openly, which it isn't, they should really state that it is a minority.

don't think anyone will make an account just to edit that loool
    too much research
    yeah, point taken you could spend years tidying up Wikipedia:rolleyes:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teapot3)
    Hi guys.

I have a question regarding hijabs in the work place, specifically in hospitals.

I'm hopefully going to be doing some work experience in a hospital and will probably be in theaters as well. Obviously many hospitals don't allow any non-surgical head coverings in theaters (due to obvious H&S reasons), but are more lenient when on wards , so I'd probably have to take off my hijab whilst in the theatre and put it back on in the wards (I probably wouldn't be comfortable at first but if it has to be done, then it has to be done).

What is everyone's opinions on this? Any hijabis done worked in a health/hospital environment before?
    I'm not aware of specific religious rulings on the matter, but from what I know, if you're having to partially/fully remove your hijab due to reasons relating to work, then I would be of the opinion that it's alright. In theatre you'll probably wear a scrub cap anyway (if not then you can ask for one), so that should at the very least cover up your hair. If you're observing from a relative distance, then they may even let you keep your hijab on, provided that you don't get too close/handle equipment etc; ask the theatre staff about this specifically and they'll let you know.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtz)
    Salam, I would like some of your opinions. How many of you would be interested in seeing a social networking site specifically for Muslim university and college students - a site where Muslim students around the country can connect, participate in discussions, create groups/events, post ads etc. - a one-stop resource for Muslims in higher education or those contemplating higher education. Interesting idea or not needed? Please let me know, thanks.
    Sounds good. Esp. as it would allow younger students to have discussions/seek advice from older, more mature students who have been in similar positions (if you know what I mean).
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Narrated Abu Huraira ra: I heard Allah's Apostle pbuh saying, "If there was a river at the door of anyone of you and he took a bath in it five times a day would you notice any dirt on him?" They said, "Not a trace of dirt would be left." The Prophet added, "That is the example of the five prayers with which Allah blots out (annuls) evil deeds."

(Sahih Bukhari)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezraeil)
    I'm not aware of specific religious rulings on the matter, but from what I know, if you're having to partially/fully remove your hijab due to reasons relating to work, then I would be of the opinion that it's alright. In theatre you'll probably wear a scrub cap anyway (if not then you can ask for one), so that should at the very least cover up your hair. If you're observing from a relative distance, then they may even let you keep your hijab on, provided that you don't get too close/handle equipment etc; ask the theatre staff about this specifically and they'll let you know.
    Ah right Thanks for your reply. Personally it would feel a bit odd to me as i've gotten used to wearing the hijab everywhere outside of the home, and having colleagues see me with AND without hijab would be a little bit weird, but like i've said in my previous post, if it had to be done, then i'd take it off.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teapot3)
    Salam guys :wavey:

Just spoke to someone who is a hijabi, and has observed more OT procedures than she can remember. Her advice was to stick to the hijab as much as you can, only take it off if they specifically ask you, don't bring it up yourself.

If they do ask you to take it off, there are other ways of covering up available. Put on a female scrub cap, then a male cap on top of that and tie it off(the caps can be a bit see through). If you also want to cover your neck, then you can ask for an Orthopaedic Hood if they have any available; it looks a bit odd, but it'll cover both your hair and neck sufficiently.
Updated: December 1, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.