The Student Room Group

Is The MBA Useless Or More Than Useless?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I was also wondering if the OP was a rejected applicant, or someone who spent a lot at a lesser university to get one to find it didn't pay off. Definitely an unusually high degree of angry emotion associated with MBAs! There are a number of degrees I think of as pretty useless tbh, but I don't start angry ranting threads about them.
Reply 41
Ory
OP
Original post by yoyo462001
We'll you're talking FTSE 100 clients here. You'd be an even dumber client to believe that because a firm told you this person has 'great experience in XYZ' that that person had great experience. Think of it from a logical point of view, it is in the interest of firm pitching to over-exaggerate the experience of their employees and in the interest of the client to know exactly what they pay for, an MBA gives certainty.

I'd agree with your earlier post but for the point I made. No, at the end of the day when contractual promises by service providers are not met satisfactorily, or are flat out broken, and the attorneys get called in, statements that "Consultant X had an MBA" mean nothing. They mean nothing to insurers, nothing to attorneys and nothing to the end result of the lawsuit. Therefore, to any FTSE 100 client worth its salt, they mean nothing to the initial contract. What matters is 1. technical or professional education and proficiency 2. related to that, technical or professional experience. MBAs are so ubiquitous today, so generic in their content, and so commonly found among the graduates of the last 10 or so years, that they have lost their meaning as a means by which to discern anything about their holders. Over pitching will only lead to distrust and a loss of business - potential clients and current clients want assurances of competence, not mere accolades from business schools that graduate thousands each year and provide no real marker of excellence or technical proficiency. That's the point that's being made by Rickover at the links posted and also by guys like Jim Rogers at the links posted.. Do you really think that when Gates or someone entered into a contract, he would give a toss whether the counter party had an MBA?

It is very difficult to get onto them both practically and financially. Accounting is not hard to get into first of all, however due to the obvious number getting into a magic circle law firms isn't easy at all. If you think you could waltz into LBS, INSEAD, HBS, Stanford or Wharton then evidently you don't know much of the requirements. Either way you're comparing apples to lions.

It is not difficult to get an MBA. You can get one from any number of schools for less than 50K and you can borrow to get one. Tens of thousands of MBAs graduate each year.

Accounting and law, like dentistry, medicine, and engineering are much harder degrees and are known as terminal professional degrees. The content, breadth and depth of subject matter of these degrees is nothing like an MBA, which looks like a wine tasting course next to a professional degree (see the link above).

If you have the loan, and basic ability, can speak decent enough English and know how to read a ledger, you can most certainly get into those schools. Do you really think they would turn you away?

What do you make of this?
Reply 42
Ory
OP
Original post by sj27
I was also wondering if the OP was a rejected applicant, or someone who spent a lot at a lesser university to get one to find it didn't pay off. Definitely an unusually high degree of angry emotion associated with MBAs! There are a number of degrees I think of as pretty useless tbh, but I don't start angry ranting threads about them.

Quit the ad hominem^ attacks and answer the question posed by the thread topic.

You can't? Use your superior MBA skills.

^No, I don't have an MBA, and I am well enough educated and trained to make 6 figures in a job where I travel the world and answer to no one (fashion business). Most people I rely on laugh at MBAs with bemusement and as a waste of time. These people actually do real jobs, heal sick people, defend people in court, fly planes, produce publications that sell millions of copies, treat sick dogs.

So what is the reality? People who bought wasted their money on an expensive Apple Mac want to justify it as somehow being the best in the world, everyone else who uses a PC or Linux doesn't care, replace their own battery, upgrade their ram, don't care about logos, and get stuff done?

Actors think MBAs are a joke. Fancy that.
Reply 43
Buddy, go to top MBA school websites and check out their alum. Until you can look at me in the eye and tell me that those guys are idiots, shut the **** up.

Before my mom got an MBA she was an engineer at an excellent firm. She got her MBA. In a different company she has accelerated very quickly because of her MBA (it's a special program within the company to recruit alum of top MBA programs). I get the feeling you think Harvard will accept you if you can pay 50k and hell the program you went to probably was like that. But please save your rage. I accept that MBA teaches nothing really "hard", but it does create networks and it does open doors. You don't seem to understand the concept of a signal.
Reply 44
Ory
OP
Original post by arra
Buddy, go to top MBA school websites and check out their alum. Until you can look at me in the eye and tell me that those guys are idiots, shut the **** up.

It sends a signal to the weak minded. No one judges a persons competence as a manager or technician (eg number cruncher, producer of goods and services) based on a piece of paper from a B School.

I bet those MBAs at Bear Stearns or Lehman Brothers will tell you that their firms were successful because of their MBAs, So what!

First, for every alum who got an MBA there are alums who never even graduated from college. Gates, Jobs, Drudge, Zuckerberg, Ford, probably even Edison.

Second, the candidates listed as successful alum would have been successful whether they earned an MBA or not. Earning an MBA does not cause success, and in fact many regard it as a way to waste years and money that could be more productively spent developing technical proficiency, or a business itself.

Third, for every MBA alum, there are dozens, if not hundreds of successful alums who never looked at an MBA as relevant, doctors, lawyers, engineers, dentists, vets, scientists, pilots, astronauts, military commanders, and even managers

Two examples:

Drexler of J Crew.

Admiral Rickover, USN in a must read speech for anyone in business. Rickover managed thousands of men and a huge change in operations of one of the worlds largest organizations.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Reply 45
Original post by Ory
Quit the ad hominem^ attacks and answer the question posed by the thread topic.

You can't? Use your superior MBA skills.

I've already told you twice I neither have an MBA nor an interest in getting one. Whatever your skills may be, comprehension clearly isn't one of them.

Am I meant to be impressed by a 6-figure salary and travelling the world? I used to work in investment banking. That's par for the course. 7 figures are a lot more impressive. I know plenty people earning 7 figures. I even know a few earning 8 figures. I feel compelled to add that a few of them even have MBAs! Fashion industry, huh? Is that meant to impress anyone?!!

Btw I did answer your question. Sorry it wasn't the answer you wanted, but we've already established comprehension isn't your strong point.
Reply 46
First, for every alum who got an MBA there are alums who never even graduated from college. Gates, Jobs, Drudge, Zuckerberg, Ford, probably even Edison.
Idiots like you are dime a dozen. You named 6 people. Is that your whole argument? Listen, I see the colleagues my parents work with and these are some pretty brilliant people. Some have MBAs and some don't. But they all have a mutual respect for their colleagues and clients -- and they are certainly not so dismissive of an MBA as you are.

Funnily enough my mom doesn't want me to get an MBA and really I never planned to. In fact if you had any desire to actually understand my point rather than just tear it apart you would realize that I'm not blindly in favor of getting an MBA. But as the above poster aptly mentioned, comprehension ain't your strong point.

So while you go galavanting around the world selling suits, or whatever it is you do, there are plenty of hardworking MBAs that make this world a better place (just like doctors, engineers, etc.)

I bet those MBAs at Bear Stearns or Lehman Brothers will tell you that their firms were successful because of their MBAs, So what!
What? I'm so confused…
Reply 47
Ory
OP
@sjbIB is not exclusive at all these days, if you enter as an analyst/employee. It is an industry for monkeys who work 12 hour days + and people burn out with few transferable skills. Unless it's your IB and you are getting rich on the backs of others. Think of Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers. Nice job there Mr Important IB.

Original post by arra

Before my mom got an MBA she was an engineer at an excellent firm. She got her MBA. In a different company she has accelerated very quickly because of her MBA (it's a special program within the company to recruit alum of top MBA programs).

Let me edit that for you: Before my mom got an MBA she was an engineer a technician with a real degree of excellence, both at entry point and especially at graduation at an excellent firm who was gainfully employed. She gotpaid for a series of lectures and tests that resulted in her MBAher being given possession of a fancy piece of paper with MBA written on it. In a different company role, also as an employee but with a different slave driver she has accelerated very quickly has advanced her positions because of her MBA (it's a special program within the company to recruit alum of top MBA programs because she was already an excellent technically minded, analytical person before she paid for her fancy piece of paper, and would have remained so whether she got the piece of paper or not.

Are you seriously saying that if 100 people got an MBA, they would all be accelerated like her? She was excellent before her MBA, and the MBA is not a marker of excellence, at any school, but rather a weak attempt by a business (her employer) to justify her track and ensure that she could reign over others. It's not hard to do this in an organization because the employees by definition are weak willed anyway - they believe this rank pulling nonsense and are content to be slaves. Otherwise they would be out there as entrepreneurs competing with their employers. The MBA didn't cause anything - she did. If it were they would accept average people and make them rock stars. Instead you say that they accept rock stars who graduate as rock stars. Which is it?

Your proposition that an MBA caused all of this - and not her - is confusing. Do we all need MBAs to understand your thinking? Like this?
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Ory
I'd agree with your earlier post but for the point I made. No, at the end of the day when contractual promises by service providers are not met satisfactorily, or are flat out broken, and the attorneys get called in, statements that "Consultant X had an MBA" mean nothing. They mean nothing to insurers, nothing to attorneys and nothing to the end result of the lawsuit. Therefore, to any FTSE 100 client worth its salt, they mean nothing to the initial contract. What matters is 1. technical or professional education and proficiency 2. related to that, technical or professional experience. MBAs are so ubiquitous today, so generic in their content, and so commonly found among the graduates of the last 10 or so years, that they have lost their meaning as a means by which to discern anything about their holders. Over pitching will only lead to distrust and a loss of business - potential clients and current clients want assurances of competence, not mere accolades from business schools that graduate thousands each year and provide no real marker of excellence or technical proficiency. That's the point that's being made by Rickover at the links posted and also by guys like Jim Rogers at the links posted.. Do you really think that when Gates or someone entered into a contract, he would give a toss whether the counter party had an MBA?

It is not difficult to get an MBA. You can get one from any number of schools for less than 50K and you can borrow to get one. Tens of thousands of MBAs graduate each year.

Accounting and law, like dentistry, medicine, and engineering are much harder degrees and are known as terminal professional degrees. The content, breadth and depth of subject matter of these degrees is nothing like an MBA, which looks like a wine tasting course next to a professional degree (see the link above).

If you have the loan, and basic ability, can speak decent enough English and know how to read a ledger, you can most certainly get into those schools. Do you really think they would turn you away?

What do you make of this?

You're getting yourself confused. You're comparing a profession to a degree. I'm not sure you quite understand what me and the remaining posters are saying. An MBA is not something that you'll use on a job like an accountant it is a degree that signals achievement, obviously here I'm referring to the elite business schools where it is very difficult to get onto. I also don't think you understand how you get onto top MBA, you need very good work experience to get on them, and clients know this. And because of this your idea that you have MBA's from top schools without quality professional experience is just wrong. The client does not inherently value the MBA but what is associated with it. It's signalling.

I imagine you also don't know much about pitching from your statements. Regardless of the whether the pitcher is telling the truth the client cannot easily discern whether or not their lying at the pitch, during the engagement or post engagement. As I said before an MBA from a top school will have great experience also, the client now knows with certainty that the person has good experience.

From the top schools in the UK, LBS, Said and Judge in total they graduate about 500 people a year, hardly thousands.

There's really only one top school in the UK and that LBS. The point we're making is that an MBA from a top school is far from useless. I imagine you have in your head that we're speaking about Lincoln uni's MBA which doesn't cost much and probably isn't hard to get onto.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Ory
An MBA is a pre-requisite for nothing. No profession or professional body will demand an MBA. Compare medicine, law, dentistry, engineering where the degree is essential. Also, I don't think you can compare an MBA to any one of these professional disciplines. MBA, unlike bachelors degrees in these fields, is not a terminal professional degree, in fact, it is not even a normal masters degree. This is also obvious if you look at the admission requirements for MBA. Anyone with cash can get one, whereas with a professional degree you need some ability to get in and even more to complete it.

It's popular with people who don't know better, or who can't progress in life and think that it's somehow useful. Any doctor, lawyer, dentist, engineer, astronaut, pilot, or member of any occupation that gets things done would laugh at the MBA and people who are proud of their MBAs.

Aren't MBA programmes aimed at people wanting to advance in business/finance/accountancy/banking type roles? Rather than.. doctors, lawyers, dentists, pilots. Of course it's no use to you if you fly planes for a living or treat sick people. And some qualified engineers do get MBA's, I assume it's to help them advance in their company.

Personally I wouldn't do an MBA because they look extremely boring and I'm not into glorified office jobs, but the gist I get is that graduates use them because they help them (or they believe they'll help them) get up in companies and some employers do find them useful.. you might be right, though, they might be a massive scam for the vast majority.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Ory
OP
Original post by arra
Idiots like you are dime a dozen. You named 6 people. Is that your whole argument?

No, the argument I see being made is raised in several posts by me and others here, and the links posted within.

You conveniently forgot the hundreds of thousands of doctors, lawyers,, dentists, vets, engineers, scientists, military commanders, accountants and even carpenters, plumbers, and crafstmen vwho outnumber the MBAs by hundreds in the preceding centuries and who have real skills and do real tangible beneficial things, either by making them or giving tangible advice that helps people, and have real degrees, not an MBA with mumbo jumbo astrology like marketing and management nonsense for which they are never accountable and which is now identified as irrelevant. Tioday however, with everyone able to get an MBA, I doubt that they will be outnumbered for much longer.

Read this if you still cannot understand the point being made.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Ory
OP
Original post by yoyo462001
From the top schools in the UK, LBS, Said and Judge in total they graduate about 500 people a year, hardly thousands.

Elite schools is a nonsense. Its like the difference between Jack and the Box or McD, if you are buying processed food - its all still ****! Do you think that an MBA from an elite school has some special defense in court compared to an MBA from a non elite school when they are found to have been dishonest about their experience and skills, or found liable for not being able to complete their end of the contract? Every school is graduating MBAs, and they will accept practically anyone. Elite school admission is not difficult compared to admission to a professional degree, and graduation is even less difficult than entry. You say they accept rock stars - well rock star in - rock star out - the degree itself is of no benefit. It is not a pre requisite - for any profession, job or calling, including CEO of the World. B School is an invention of the 60s, and we went to the moon, discovered microbiology and developed antibiotics and anti serums, and defeated the Empire of Japan - all without MBAs.

I imagine you also don't know much about pitching from your statements. Regardless of the whether the pitcher is telling the truth the client cannot easily discern whether or not their lying at the pitch, during the engagement or post engagement. As I said before an MBA from a top school will have great experience also, the client now knows with certainty that the person has good experience.

Let me edit that for you.

I imagine you also don't know much about pitching from your statements. Regardless of the whether the pitcher is telling the truth the client cannot easily discern whether or not their lying at the pitch, during the engagement or post engagement. in today's world where eveyrone knows that nebulous ideas of management and marketing are nonsense, the client will sue the living **** out of a counter party that cannot meet its contractual promises or engages in fraud. As I said before an MBA from a top school will have great experience will have spent thousands of dollars and years in a classroom instead of on the ground real world experience, also, the client now knows with certainty that the person has good experience. was more content to spend time getting a piece of paper and paying for the privilege instead of getting on the ground experience to improve services and quality and reading theories and case studies in their spare time as anyone with a year 10 education could, and is probably inept in thinking that getting an MBA will somehow make them magically "better".
Reply 52
Clearly you have issues. You are posting like a twelve-year-old. Were you one of the few to actually fail ? Did your funding run out? Did you finish your course and find no job because they were taken by people more stable than yourself ? Your posts are just meaningless rants and not worthy of serious consideration.

TBD
Reply 53
Ory
OP
Original post by TBD
Clearly you have issues. You are posting like a twelve-year-old. Were you one of the few to actually fail ? Did your funding run out? Did you finish your course and find no job because they were taken by people more stable than yourself ? Your posts are just meaningless rants and not worthy of serious consideration.
TBD

Haha Hilarious. Clearly you cannot even comment on the arguments being made - and they arent even mine. They come from the links I posted. Google "MBAUnderground or "MBA is a" and see what comes up. Please, quit the ad hominem attacks, my funding did not run out, I actually have a real degree and would laugh at anyone who took the MBA seriously. Come on, just because you think that it's a good degree doesn't mean the world does - read the links and respond to the points being made with substance - preferably not with an attack.
Reply 54
Original post by Ory
@sjbIB is not exclusive at all these days, if you enter as an analyst/employee. It is an industry for monkeys who work 12 hour days + and people burn out with few transferable skills. Unless it's your IB and you are getting rich on the backs of others. Think of Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers. Nice job there Mr Important IB.

Eh, that comprehension problem again. I said I used to work in IB. Actually, I loved it. I loved my job and I learnt an enormous amount. (And I don't give a fig whether or not it is "exclusive" - superficial perceptions like that don't matter to me, though I guess they do to you given the industry you're in.) But you're right, I burnt out. Luckily, my skills were indeed transferable (as are those of most people who work there, you clearly have no understanding of what anyone in IB does), to another industry where I earn almost as much I did in IB. I love my current job, I work a normal day, I travel for business and leisure. Your attempt at one-upmanship just isn't going to work on me, I'm afraid.

But yeah, I kind of see your point. It must be much more satisfying where you work in an industry that depends upon the vanity of the general population :rolleyes: ...then again, maybe that's the kind of mindset that leads to the posts you make here and your complete inability to see more than one side of an argument. Now be a good little girl and go back to designing or selling what you desperately hope the people with MBAs and those in IB want to buy next season.
Reply 55
Ory
OP
Original post by sj27
Now be a good little girl and go back to designing or selling what you desperately hope the people with MBAs and those in IB want to buy next season.

IB is somewhat exclusive in the sense that brilliant polymaths and anyone who went to the right private high school can get a look in - it's just that thinking of working in those controlling conditions with such behemoth employers and with the scandals a la BOA, ML, UBS, LB, BS etc would make me shudder. Not exactly prestigious these days in the public mind.

Most of the the MBA graduates of the last 5 years or for the next 50-100 years will be working at Red Lobster, not buying designer clothing.
Reply 56
The whole point is: your inability to rationalise and present a balanced arguement means it is unlikely a reasonable person will waste their time discussing it with you. I can find some links claiming the world is flat and Elvis lives. A significant part of academic diligence is sorting out reputable sources from garbage. And your posts and opinions so far fall into the latter category. If someone wants an intelligent discussion of:
a) Return on Investment
b) real value of networking
c) expensive fees
d) broad vs deep
e) prerequisites
as they pertain to MBAs then I'm happy to join in a discussion, but to be honest I don't have time for such nonsense that you are spewing.

TBD

Original post by Ory
Haha Hilarious. Clearly you cannot even comment on the arguments being made - and they arent even mine. They come from the links I posted. Google "MBAUnderground or "MBA is a" and see what comes up. Please, quit the ad hominem attacks, my funding did not run out, I actually have a real degree and would laugh at anyone who took the MBA seriously. Come on, just because you think that it's a good degree doesn't mean the world does - read the links and respond to the points being made with substance - preferably not with an attack.
Reply 57
Ory
OP
HAHA keep it up dude. I love this MBA Double Speak nonsense. You have given the forum a perfect demonstration of what an MBA is. Nice choice of factors dude, really funny.

Lets start with one article. Read this. And tell us why Rickover was wrong.

Then start posting something of substance, not MBA double speak about benefit vs benefit which isn't actually measurable. Even economics - a pseudo science at best - makes an MBA look positively stupid. The MBA bubble has burst - you need to read around.
Reply 58
Original post by Ory
IB is somewhat exclusive in the sense that brilliant polymaths and anyone who went to the right private high school can get a look in - it's just that thinking of working in those controlling conditions with such behemoth employers and with the scandals a la BOA, ML, UBS, LB, BS etc would make me shudder. Not exactly prestigious these days in the public mind.

Tell me, my dear, when the big fashion houses need to raise funds, do you think they pop down to the high street bank and ask for an overdraft? Or do you think they go to their investment bankers to arrange bond issues, syndicated loans, IPOs or equity placements?
Reply 59
Ory
OP
They borrow the money from their fathers, eg Stella McCartney, but lets keep on topic.

The thread is about an MBA.

If you want to talk about the usefulness of IB such as Bear Stearns and Lehman and the others in the credit business (that's all it is - buying and selling) in todays world and how it works, start a new thread - the end result will be that accountants and lawyers do all of the legwork. One wrong clause in a contract or entry in a balance sheet and nothing an IB does is any good. Nice try though. New thread please, PM me with the link.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending