The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Thinking of studying at Coventry university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi, i've been offered a place at coventry to study Fashion. I'm really unsure about what uni i want to go to between there and Leeds College of Art. What are your honest opinions of the course? And do you have any examples of people doing well from studying there?
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Lauquinn
Hi, i've been offered a place at coventry to study Fashion. I'm really unsure about what uni i want to go to between there and Leeds College of Art. What are your honest opinions of the course? And do you have any examples of people doing well from studying there?

I don't know much about the course, but there have been several articles recently about fashion students in Coventry winning design competitions so I'd say they're doing pretty well:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2012/01/10/coventry-university-fashion-student-diana-oancea-wins-suit-design-contest-92746-30088842/

http://www.thebirminghampress.com/2011/12/01/coventry-students-have-their-designs-on-top-fashion-award/

In particular with that last article: "Five out of the 10 finalists for a prestigious fashion award at Birmingham NEC’s 2011 Clothes Show Live event (2-7 Dec) are students from Coventry University. This makes it the fifth consecutive year that at least one undergraduate from the University’s Fashion BA (Hons) degree course has reached the final."
Reply 22
Hi,

I went to the Open Day on Saturday and thought the University was lovely, haven't been to Coventry before either but thought it was a really nice place. Just wanted to know what the nightlife/places to eat are like?

Gonna be living at home but i'd still like to spend a lot of time in Coventry too :smile:.
Reply 23
Hi, I've been reading through the comments and they've all been really helpful :smile: I was wondering if you stayed at Priory Halls?

Because I'm currently looking at accommodation and the difference between Priory (Catered) & Singer (Self Catered) is £11 P/W.. is there a major reason you'd advise not applying for Priory?

Reply 24
Original post by Jordan7594
Hi, I've been reading through the comments and they've all been really helpful :smile: I was wondering if you stayed at Priory Halls?

Because I'm currently looking at accommodation and the difference between Priory (Catered) & Singer (Self Catered) is £11 P/W.. is there a major reason you'd advise not applying for Priory?

My boyfriend stayed in Priory last year and the year before that. The first year, before I got with him, I stayed in Singer. Staying at my boyfriend's room in second year... Singer was just so much better. It seemed cleaner and better maintained and the layout of flats of six seems much better than Priory's corridor system in J block. G block is sort of in flats (I haven't seen much of it, but I needed an emergency room there at 2am one morning a few months ago and that's where they put me) so that's better, but beware! If the fire alarms go off, you could end up walking down all the stairs from the 20th floor! The amount of times I got kicked out of Priory because a fire alarm went after visiting hours was insane. Singer doesn't have visitor restrictions, or if it does it doesn't actually enforce them. Also, in my personal opinion (sorry to any reading who live there!) J block people are insane!!! My boyfriend told me about a war the entire third floor (his floor) had with the fifth floor, and the people on the fifth floor used to um... make the third floor toilets unpleasant. The fact that anyone in J block (6 floors with about 65 rooms on each, at a guess) can use any of the bathrooms seemed to mean that people just left them in disgusting ways, and even the cleaners refused to step foot in my boyfriend's nearest toilet after someone had a bad stomach ache and left it...

Sorry for a rant at Priory. Most of the uni accomodation seems brilliant in comparison to other unis I visited, but I think after spending a year in the niceness of Singer Hall, Priory Hall was a bit of a culture shock. I would definitely reccommend Singer out of the two, but my boyfriend maintains that he really enjoyed Priory so maybe it was just me, used to the lovely Singer Hall. If you would really prefer catered accomodation, I hear Priory is better than Quadrant, so it is still a fairly good option. However, if you don't mind having catered or self-catered, I could not recommend Singer enough.

Side note- the guy in the flat below me used to "do his food shopping" at Priory. As in, he closely followed someone into Priory to bypass the security guards and doors, then proceeded to empty all the fridges of food people bought for weekends! Apparently, he wasn't the only one to steal food like this, my boyfriend bought himself a mini-fridge! This also reminds me, Priory doesn't offer food on weekends, just a fridge and a microwave that anyone in J block can access (unless in G which, like I said, is laid out in flats and so better), so that can get a bit messy/food nicked! Just something to bear in mind.
Reply 25
Thanks for the detailed response, it's really helpful!

I initially planned to go for Singer halls but when looking at the prices it's only £11 extra to have breakfast and evening meals Monday to Friday which would be cheaper than cooking for myself, even if i still had to cook at weekends and do lunch. In terms of the 'Food Shopping' thief problem i would likely have a mini-fridge. However the idea of toilets not being disgusting is very off putting! Unfortunately i didn't get a chance to look round on my open days but the video on-line seem to show how the corridor system is very inefficient! So I guess G block would be better, Do you get to choose this when you apply or this is assigned by the University?

Is There anyone else that is/ has, or know someone who is / has live(d) in Priory who can give their opinion?

I'm really not sure any more!!
Also when you applied did you get your first choice and when would you say is a good time to apply?

Thanks for all your help!
Reply 26
Thanks for the detailed response, it's really helpful!

I initially planned to go for Singer halls but when looking at the prices it's only £11 extra to have breakfast and evening meals Monday to Friday which would be cheaper than cooking for myself, even if i still had to cook at weekends and do lunch. In terms of the 'Food Shopping' thief problem i would likely have a mini-fridge. However the idea of toilets not being disgusting is very off putting! Unfortunately i didn't get a chance to look round on my open days but the video on-line seem to show how the corridor system is very inefficient! So I guess G block would be better, Do you get to choose this when you apply or this is assigned by the University?

Is There anyone else that is/ has, or know someone who is / has live(d) in Priory who can give their opinion?

I'm really not sure any more!!
Also when you applied did you get your first choice and when would you say is a good time to apply?

Thanks for all your help!

You don't get to choose, although I wonder if it's something you could put in your preferences section to help. I got my first choice of Singer and I applied in advance, I went to an applicant open day where they gave me a special code to use to do this. I would apply as soon as you're allowed, just to be on the safe side. If you do choose Priory, it is the most popular catered option so if there's a lot of people going for catered, this could in theory fill up quite quickly.
Reply 27
Yeah im looking to apply ASAP, not too sure about choices yet, im still very much undecided. would you say it is possible to to do breakfast and tea (dinner) monday to friday for £15 - £20 in Coventry or is the price of catered cheap?

Reply 28
Yeah im looking to apply ASAP, not too sure about choices yet, im still very much undecided. would you say it is possible to to do breakfast and tea (dinner) monday to friday for £15 - £20 in Coventry or is the price of catered cheap?

I don't eat properly so I can't really comment on the average food shop, although there are many threads on this website that can show you how to eat cheap at uni. Catered food is never going to be amazing and not contain the best ingredients, but as long as you're not picky then there should be no problems with the menu.
Original post by Cov Uni
Hi,

My name is Philippa and I'm a third year fashion student at Coventry university. I've lived in halls and have now moved into my second house. I have loooads of student life experience :smile:

If you have any queries about the university or about any of the creative subjects you can ask me. I also know a bit about illustration, photography, media, auto design, computing and psychology due to my friendship groups.

I look forward to answering your questions!

Hi.
I'm thinking of applying for the arts foundation there.
any tips?
Hello. I have been admitted to coventry university London campus. I would like to know weather I can transfer my admission from CULC to the coventry campus. Please reply.
Hi, I applied for Coventry university from year two. I had 2 conditions. The first one was to pass the IELTS exam and the second one to proof my calcifications from my old university. I passed the exam so i sent to them everything and two days after they accepted the IELTS condition but they say nothing about my califications but the offer is still there. Do you think is because they are still considering my marks or maybe because they found any problems with it.

Thanks in advance
Reply 32
Hi,

I'm Magguie, i am Portuguese. I just got a conditional offer at Coventry University in Msc Forensic Psychology.
I would like to know more about the accomodation. I think it would be better as a Postgraduate to stay in a flat and share it with other students, but i would love to hear your opinions on this. Also, i would love to know someone that is going to study the same as me, since i don't know anyone. :smile:

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest