The Student Room Group

Dentistry Interviews 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

I have offers from Birmingham and Leeds and don't know which one to go too. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? alot of people seem to be very keen on Leeds - is this because of the masters qualification or just that you prefer the dental school in general?
Reply 4001
Seems to be the time when people (who are fortunate enough to have more than one offer), are deciding which university to go for.

All I'd like say to everyone in that position is: count yourself very lucky to be in that situation. Well done for getting in, but remember how many people are absolutely gutted that they didn't get in.

And as for making the decision on where to go, do some more research and attend 'offer-holders open days' for each university and decide from there. At the end of the day, all dentistry university are pretty much on par, with some being better in certain areas.

No-one can make this decision for you and all advice is personal opinion anyway meaning your view may differ from another person's.

So good luck on the decision, and only a very small group of people ever say 'oh! I wish I'd gone to .... university instead' as everyone has a great time wherever they go :biggrin:
Original post by cheesychips
I have offers from Birmingham and Leeds and don't know which one to go too. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice? alot of people seem to be very keen on Leeds - is this because of the masters qualification or just that you prefer the dental school in general?

Leeds! :cool:

- friendly school environment
- the structure of the curriculum is definitely one of its best points
- early clinical contact
- apparently it has a good social scene (clubs etc)
- good for shopping
- excellent sports facilities
- it's a campus university so you feel like you're part of a community, unlike places which are spread out

I know at Birmingham they don't take on international students on their course, I personally see this as a downside, during my first degree some of the people I was most closest to were international students.

Make a list of pros and cons for each university, and hopefully that should help you decide.
Reply 4003
has anybody else firmed manchester?
or am i going to be the only one starting dentistry there come Sep :dontknow:
Original post by pb101
has anybody else firmed manchester?
or am i going to be the only one starting dentistry there come Sep :dontknow:

there's a group on FB for manchester - look it up and you'll find people there :smile:
Original post by niku123
i went for talybont south, my mate is there and he says its the best

I'm going taly south too, visited a couple of friends there and it's got a good atmosphere :smile:
Reply 4006
Original post by jedi-master
Rejection from kings :frown: I guess that since I haven't heard from Sheffield, I'm going on a gap year :frown:(((( any ideas tips on what could I do in order to maximize my chances of getting in next year? Thx :frown:

The best thing to do would be to get a job as a health care assistant because you will be hands on with patients as opposed to just watching like in work experience. You might even be able to get a job being a phlebotomist. This is what I did and all of my answers in my interview were drawn from experiences I had in my job. It will give you so much confidence and put you ahead of other candidates. :smile:
Reply 4007
Anyone else firmed Bristol?
Reply 4008
Newcastle pooled applicants, reckon we'll hear on tues? I'm about 99% sure it's a rejection, just annoying that it's taken so long..
Original post by alexxa.s
Newcastle pooled applicants, reckon we'll hear on tues? I'm about 99% sure it's a rejection, just annoying that it's taken so long..

I called them on Thursday and they said responses would be out next week x
Reply 4010
Hey guys,
I've got an offer from Liverpool, and thinking of applying for accommodation soon, where's everyone thinking of applying?
I'm considering Prospect Point and Opal Court as my first couple of choices but unsure where else?
Reply 4011
Hey guys! Just to let you all know, the first year BDS students have set up a Manchester dentistry offer holders group 2012. If you have an offer with Manchester university for Dentistry 2012 entry, then please do join this group, as if you have any questions regarding the whole build up to your first day at uni, we will be able to answer them hopefully! Heres the link...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2012.dentistry/

Good luck with your exams guys!
Reply 4012
Original post by LL1
Anyone else firmed Bristol?

I did :smile: just wandering, did you receive anything after you firmed them?
Reply 4013
Original post by Dae93

I think I will be firming Bristol too(:

I have an offer from Sheffield as well, does anyone have insightful comments on differences between the two schools? Like in terms of school culture, city vibes etc. TIA(:
Anyone who's getting/already got jabs, I've been trying to book them (Hepb and tb I need) but my doctor is reluctant to do them because the uni receives funding to give us injections? Any bham people know any more info?
Reply 4015
Anyone with glasgow offers, have you heard from them via ucas?
I got an email about getting an offer but i never got the offer on ucas...
Do we need to send them the health questionnaire first before they give us the binding offer? I know that is the case with some unis, but it doesn't seem like they made it clear?
Reply 4016
Original post by Jenniferann232
Anyone who's getting/already got jabs, I've been trying to book them (Hepb and tb I need) but my doctor is reluctant to do them because the uni receives funding to give us injections? Any bham people know any more info?

I've been having this exact same problem! So annoying! The GP I went to were charging me £150 for my jabs - which was frustrating because so many people I know got them for free.
Don't go to the receptionists, talk to the practice manager. I got my mum to talk her and in the end she phoned the PCT who then said it's up to the practice manager to charge me for it or not. In the end, with much persuasion, they let me have it for free and I've had one injection so far.

If you are having a lot of trouble with it, talk to the occupational health service at Birmingham and I think they should be able to arrange it for you if you can't get it at your GP.

Hope that helped
:smile:
Original post by bibbles
I've been having this exact same problem! So annoying! The GP I went to were charging me £150 for my jabs - which was frustrating because so many people I know got them for free.
Don't go to the receptionists, talk to the practice manager. I got my mum to talk her and in the end she phoned the PCT who then said it's up to the practice manager to charge me for it or not. In the end, with much persuasion, they let me have it for free and I've had one injection so far.

If you are having a lot of trouble with it, talk to the occupational health service at Birmingham and I think they should be able to arrange it for you if you can't get it at your GP.

Hope that helped
:smile:

My tb will cost £90 and hep b also costs £90!! :O I'm going to ring bham now to see if it can be arranged through them. Not paying that much when the uni gets funding for it!!
Reply 4018
Original post by apys92
I think I will be firming Bristol too(:

I have an offer from Sheffield as well, does anyone have insightful comments on differences between the two schools? Like in terms of school culture, city vibes etc. TIA(:

Bristol is a great city, it's small enough that everything is accessible but big enough that it has something to cater for everyone. If you like go out it has clubs to cater for all music tastes...if you want to join societies the uni has hundreds...if you like quiet cafes Clifton Village is beautiful. The university also has plenty of sports clubs too. I did my first degree at Bristol and the teaching is excellent. I always found that if you needed extra help or advice or wanted more feedback on some work the professors always made time to see you. I don't know much about Sheffield but I've been once and it was really Industrial. Obviously I am going to be biased towards Bristol though lol. The facilities in the Bristol Dental school just totally won me over...its so nice and new! And the brand new South Bristol community hospital that we would get to learn at - that's super exciting.
Reply 4019
Original post by Dae93

No I haven't actually! Not sure when we will be receiving all the info.

Quick Reply

Latest