The Student Room Group

Is it true that we english are german?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teknik
You are completely wrong, British people are overwhelmingly descended from the ifrst settlers to Britain from Iberia. I can post you extensive sources backing up my argument.

Cite evidence instead of relying on an completely unsubstantiated, outdated victorian theory.

You obviously have do no reading whatsoever

I do, and judging that our Language is Germanic, with french words, hard fact backs this up. I could cite evidence, will do in morning, but i cant be bothered tonite.
Reply 41
Original post by Moleman1996
I do, and judging that our Language is Germanic, with french words, hard fact backs this up. I could cite evidence, will do in morning, but i cant be bothered tonite.

Language has nothing to do with it, extensive genetic research and archeological evidence shows conclusively that we are overwhelmingly descended from the first settlers to Britain from Iberia. There are more English speakers in China than ion any other country on earth, so by your logic the Chinese must be descended from the English.

Language does not reveal our ancestral past.
Reply 42
Original post by DdotT
I imagine we have some Germanic, Saxon etc genes in us.
I for one am proud we have some awesome genes.

me to, i have the genes of guys who killed each other over an insult, ate raw polar bear meat, used moss after goin to the lavvy, trained horses to fight to the death, founded america and greenland and iceland etc etc flowin through me veins!

im so proud! :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Moleman1996
the human race started in Africa, so it would be impossible for the african bloodlines to be replaced.

if you do a genealogical map o me blood itll come from northern europe (an maybe other germanic/celtic places), not africa, so i dont have any african bloodlines!
Original post by YorkieLad101
me to, i have the genes of guys who killed each other over an insult, ate raw polar bear meat, used moss after goin to the lavvy, trained horses to fight to the death, founded america and greenland and iceland etc etc flowin through me veins!

im so proud! :smile:

Well, you clearly don't have the blood of Shakespeare or Dickens "flowin" through your veins.
Reply 45
Original post by Space Needle
Well, you clearly don't have the blood of Shakespeare or Dickens "flowin" through your veins.

Well i have english blood, but not theirs!

What dyou mean anyway?
Reply 46
Original post by Oh globbits
You should take a look at the Out of Africa and Multiregional hypothesis models for human evolution.

you should take a look at genealogically/family history websites
Reply 47
We probably have a wide range of ethnic roots, we were occupied by the Romans for quite some time. So likely to be a lot of Italian, in there, considering the Romans were fond of Auxiliaries there could be Greek, Spanish, French even African, all as a legacy from their occupation.

Then there is the Norman Invasion and since the Romani people have been migrating through out Europe for over a 1000 years, believed to have originated from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent.

Diversity is Britain's greatest strength, we are a mix of so much and that is what makes it Great Britain.
Reply 48
Original post by Oh globbits
The first homo sapiens then evolved in Africa 200,000 years ago and left Africa 100,000 years ago for Eurasia

exactly, that was 100,000 years ago when me ancestors left for europe, i think the "african bloodline" is extinct now! anyway im not african! im english, welsh, irish, viking an german!
I don't understand why people say English = German. Germany didn't even exist until the late 19th century, or maybe after. The thing is, the Saxons, the Celts, the Vikings, they were civilisations as well as having slight racial differences. They may as well have been temporary nationalities. Why this fixation on Germany/German? The area which would've been Germanic is much wider than the current borders of Germany.

Even then, I don't know which of them were my ancestors. I presume I have at least one from each civilisation, but the lifestyles of them have no baring on my identity. It's a bit sad when people go on about being 'Celtic' as it's more likely that they have Saxon or Viking blood in them. Celtic nations? Are we quite sure that everyone/the majority of them are even pure Celtic? It really is quite sad. If my parents were based in a Scottish RAF base rather than an English one then that wouldn't make me more or less 'Saxon' or 'Celtic' as I am now.

It's bad enough people using ethnicity identities like 'white' or 'black', but imagine how mentally retarded it is to try and break these into even smaller types of sub-racial categories.
exactly, that was 100,000 years ago when me ancestors left for europe, i think the "african bloodline" is extinct now! anyway im not african! im english, welsh, irish, viking an german!

:facepalm2:
Reply 51
Original post by Snagprophet
It's bad enough people using ethnicity identities like 'white' or 'black', but imagine how mentally retarded it is to try and break these into even smaller types of sub-racial categories.

well what are the Germanics an the Celtics then? we Germanics and the Celtics are both sub-races of the "white race"
Reply 52
i find it ironic, the nation we (aparently) hate the most (though i think Germany is cool) was the place our ancestors came from! Many English people say they dont like the Germans when genes prove they ARE German!

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t410693/

fellow englanders, why dont you like our German brothers an sisters?

You realize stormfront is a white supremacist website right?

Edit: Just read all the responses, glad I wasn't the only one who caught that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Stilo
You realize stormfront is a white supremacist website right?

Edit: Just read all the responses, glad I wasn't the only one who caught that.

yeah i did, whats your point?
Reply 54
We're all African if that helps.
yeah i did, whats your point?

So you believe that a white supremacist group holds more expertise in this matter than, say, Stephen Oppenheimer, an actual geneticist and a researcher at Oxford, who concluded that British people share more commonity with the Basque people than the Germanic people?
Reply 56
To properly respond to you post OP, not really.

It is true that some English people are descendents of Germanic tribes that migrated to the British isles, its is also true that some English people are decedents of Briton tribes that mixed with the Germanic tribes, from Picts from the Northern Isles, from Britons from what is now Wales.

It is also true that some English people are descendents of the people of the British colonies such as India, Pakistan, the Caribbean, Kenya, Hong Kong and Nepal.

It is also true that some English people are descendents of the French Huguenots who migrated to England in the late 1600's from France.

As to why "Englanders hate Germans" as you say, i feel that is more of an older generation mentality left over from the war, and is carried on more than anything by followers of the football, culture, besides the Germans are really neck and neck with the Argentinians. It's pretty silly and i wouldn't take anyone seriously who claimed to hate Germans because of the war.

hope that helps.
Reply 57
Original post by pol pot noodles
So you believe that a white supremacist group holds more expertise in this matter than, say, Stephen Oppenheimer, an actual geneticist and a researcher at Oxford, who concluded that British people share more commonity with the Basque people than the Germanic people?

yeah i believe that, an actually its the celts who are related to t'Basques than to Germanics, we ARE germanics for ****s sake! im descended from vikings from norway an anglo-saxons from what is now germany, not really related to t'Basques am i?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
The word English derives from "Angle-ish" - the Angles were one of the Germanic tribes that settled here after the Romans legions departed. English is fundamentally a Germanic language.
Most "indiginous" English people will probably be a mix of Anglo-Saxon and Romano-British (celtic) blood.
i find it ironic, the nation we (aparently) hate the most (though i think Germany is cool) was the place our ancestors came from! Many English people say they dont like the Germans when genes prove they ARE German!

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t410693/

fellow englanders, why dont you like our German brothers an sisters?

Wait, so you're telling me that the English are Germanic people? NO ****ING WAY.

.... I don't know a single person that hates Germany or German people, even in that dumbass pseudo way people claim to 'hate' French people. Even my grandparents and great aunts/uncles didn't really have a major issue with Germans, just the Japanese.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending