The Student Room Group

AAT for graduates?

Basically I didn't enjoy my degree from day one and through no one's fault but my own ended up completely messing it up and scraping an ordinary (non-honours) degree. I want to get into audit/assurance but I've pretty much ruined any chances of getting on a graduate ACA traineeship.

I have pretty good A Levels (AAA Maths, Physics and Chemistry) so was thinking I could possibly start on an AAT school leaver scheme offered by various firms but will the fact that I'm technically a graduate work against me in the selection for this kind of position?

Has anyone been, or know of anyone who has been, in a similar position and managed to end up with a training agreement? Or is my only option to shell out for AAT myself and hope someone takes me on for ACA when I've completed it?

Thanks for any advice. :smile:
Original post by joe1989
Basically I didn't enjoy my degree from day one and through no one's fault but my own ended up completely messing it up and scraping an ordinary (non-honours) degree. I want to get into audit/assurance but I've pretty much ruined any chances of getting on a graduate ACA traineeship.

I have pretty good A Levels (AAA Maths, Physics and Chemistry) so was thinking I could possibly start on an AAT school leaver scheme offered by various firms but will the fact that I'm technically a graduate work against me in the selection for this kind of position?

Has anyone been, or know of anyone who has been, in a similar position and managed to end up with a training agreement? Or is my only option to shell out for AAT myself and hope someone takes me on for ACA when I've completed it?

Thanks for any advice. :smile:

hey, know what you mean. I got a 2.2 and am overqualified for non grad jobs for underqual for grad schemes, annoying whne you have decent a levels. I would recommend going for another field as accountancy is very competitive, I am prob going to do the same. Also, AAT normally takes 2 years and ACA 3 years so you dont really want to be doing 5 years o exams do you?
Reply 2
Original post by tommytuckers
hey, know what you mean. I got a 2.2 and am overqualified for non grad jobs for underqual for grad schemes, annoying whne you have decent a levels. I would recommend going for another field as accountancy is very competitive, I am prob going to do the same. Also, AAT normally takes 2 years and ACA 3 years so you dont really want to be doing 5 years o exams do you?

Yeah I know what you mean. I've pretty much just wasted 3 years and thousands of pounds and have nothing to show for it!

I think you can get some credit passed on from AAT to ACA so it's possible to complete both in 4 years.

I know it's not ideal but it's what I want to do so the time it'll take isn't too much of an issue for me. I just don't know how/where to start or if I've blown it completely and will just have to try and do something else like you said.
Reply 3
There are definitely firms out there that would take you on as an AAT trainee. Essentially, you will probably have to apply as a "school leaver". Therefore, the deciding factor is likely to be UCAS points.

The expectations of AAT trainees is the same as graduate trainees. You'll be expected to perform the same work, at the same level, except you're just a cheaper form of labour.

You should go for it, don't let your degree class stop you from entering accounting.

Source: I'm currently a little over half-way through an AAT training contract.

If you want to discuss further, feel free to PM.
Original post by joe1989
Yeah I know what you mean. I've pretty much just wasted 3 years and thousands of pounds and have nothing to show for it!

I think you can get some credit passed on from AAT to ACA so it's possible to complete both in 4 years.

I know it's not ideal but it's what I want to do so the time it'll take isn't too much of an issue for me. I just don't know how/where to start or if I've blown it completely and will just have to try and do something else like you said.

Well, you're obviously intelligent from your a level grades but unfortunately thats not the point here. The point is that 90 % of Graduate Accountant Trainee positions ask for 2.1 and the other 10% which accept 2.2's go for people with 2.1's as they apply as well due to the job market squeeze. Its ridiculous that someone who has an irrelevent degree like History and gets a 2.1 that he/she should get precedence over someone who does a completely relevent one but get a slightly lower degree and has good a levels.

But you could keep trying AAT trainee positions but the ones I have applied to generally consider graduates over qualififed and have found they are reluctant to hire one. What degree did you do?
Reply 5
Well, you're obviously intelligent from your a level grades but unfortunately thats not the point here. The point is that 90 % of Graduate Accountant Trainee positions ask for 2.1 and the other 10% which accept 2.2's go for people with 2.1's as they apply as well due to the job market squeeze. Its ridiculous that someone who has an irrelevent degree like History and gets a 2.1 that he/she should get precedence over someone who does a completely relevent one but get a slightly lower degree and has good a levels.

But you could keep trying AAT trainee positions but the ones I have applied to generally consider graduates over qualififed and have found they are reluctant to hire one. What degree did you do?

Yeah I realise I've got no chance with grad positions but I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth me even attempting to apply for AAT traineeships.

My degree was in chemistry so not really relevant (but I suppose more mathematical than others). I don't suppose my degree means anything though because of the lack of honours.

Anyway, I've gathered that it's not very common for graduates to get on AAT trainee positions, but it's not unheard of so I think that's what I'm gonna aim for for now.

Are you still thinking of giving up on accountancy? What was your degree in?
Original post by joe1989
Yeah I realise I've got no chance with grad positions but I'm just trying to work out whether it's worth me even attempting to apply for AAT traineeships.

My degree was in chemistry so not really relevant (but I suppose more mathematical than others). I don't suppose my degree means anything though because of the lack of honours.

Anyway, I've gathered that it's not very common for graduates to get on AAT trainee positions, but it's not unheard of so I think that's what I'm gonna aim for for now.

Are you still thinking of giving up on accountancy? What was your degree in?

Degree was Economics. Chemistry is a decent/respectable degree but yeh, perhaps you could get onto AAT somewhere irf you can convince an employer you want ot stick it out. Why are you particularly interested in accountancy? A lot of people I know want to get out after they qualify.
Reply 7
Degree was Economics. Chemistry is a decent/respectable degree but yeh, perhaps you could get onto AAT somewhere irf you can convince an employer you want ot stick it out. Why are you particularly interested in accountancy? A lot of people I know want to get out after they qualify.

I'm just regretting not going straight to AAT after A Levels.

I like maths and am not too bad at it so the number crunching side appeals to me. I'm interested in business so it'd be good to get a look at a variety of different clients and how they work etc. I also like the fact that your career will never become 'stale' as it's gonna be challenging and there are always opportunities for advancement, learning new things, travel etc. Good job prospects and security.

Oh and I'd be lying if I said money wasn't a factor! :tongue:

I know there are downsides to it too and it could possibly get a bit dull at times but overall it's what I want to do.

I know a few people in training at the moment and from what they've said they're mostly enjoying it (despite complaining about the workload).
huh, im also interested in doing a AAT and have graduated with a 2.2 in chemistry.

is there a list of firms offering a AAT training scheme?
Reply 9
Original post by Astudentinneed
huh, im also interested in doing a AAT and have graduated with a 2.2 in chemistry.

is there a list of firms offering a AAT training scheme?

I've been looking around and the Big 4 all offer school leaver schemes after A Level (though KPMG's involves getting a degree so I don't think graduates would be suitable).

Apart from that, all of the mid-tier firms have similar schemes and smaller firms often take on people for AAT post- A Level.

It might be worth getting in touch with them to see if they'll accept you with a degree though as most don't mention it on the website. IIRC PwC and Baker Tilly specifically mention that graduates who don't meet 2.1 standard are welcome to apply for an AAT school leaver scheme with them, whereas PKF specifically mention they won't accept graduates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending