The Student Room Group

Petrol set to rise by 4p per litre by January 2012. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CB91
I live on the outskirts of a city and whenever I have to get the bus into town (if its raining so I cant walk) in the morning I always get the earlier ones. Why? Because I actually use my ****ing brain and set off earlier than planned and miss the traffic. But the majority of people are stupid morons who dont take any variables into account and think it will take 10 minutes regardless. Then they complain when they are late.

and how does that relate to the terrible public transport outside the cities ?
Original post by CB91
You could walk or cycle? If its a 10 minute bus ride, it cant be that far.

He didn't say it was 10mins to his school, he said the going rate was £3 for 10 mins.
Original post by T-ros
and how does that relate to the terrible public transport outside the cities ?

Because its normlly the same outside the cities aswell. Ive lived in a city, on the outskirts and in a small town and its always the same.
Original post by dragon500uk
He didn't say it was 10mins to his school, he said the going rate was £3 for 10 mins.

Still, I doubt it would be too far so that walking/cycling isnt out of the equation.
Reply 24
Original post by CB91
You could walk or cycle? If its a 10 minute bus ride, it cant be that far.

10 minutes to the next village (which I do walk to)... not to school. I walk/cycle when I can, but sometimes it's not possible :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by whatmakesyoutiki2
Where do you live that there isn't any public transport? :lolwut:

I have a driving license too, but rather than complain about petrol prices, I have acknowledged and come to terms with the fact that until I'm in a full time job, I don't have the money to/have the essential need for a car - and I am very doubtful that you have an essential need for it.

Not from a commuter town in the south-east are you? Some places in the countryside have very poor bus services - my village has one a day. One an hour or every two hours is the norm in rural areas - and this is in the south(-west) of England.
Original post by CB91
Because its normlly the same outside the cities aswell. Ive lived in a city, on the outskirts and in a small town and its always the same.

So you've lived outside all the cities in the UK? You've had one good experience of a place with good public transport and now you can extend that to the rest of the world?

"I was lucky enough to have decent public transport that suited my needs when I needed it so it must be the same for everyone else."

Listen to youself!

It's NOT the same for everywhere else! It differs from city to city because those cities are DIFFERENT! Also, just because a suburbian town is on the outskirts of a city doesn't mean it shares the same council or public transport companies!

Don't generalise when you don't have two hoots what you're talking about!
Reply 27
Original post by CB91
Still, I doubt it would be too far so that walking/cycling isnt out of the equation.

Want to walk to school the distance of a half hour drive?! Didn't know this was going to cause such controversy aimed at me, just thought it would be a friendly discussion... haha
Reply 28
Original post by Arekkusu
Not from a commuter town in the south-east are you? Some places in the countryside have very poor bus services - my village has one a day. One an hour or every two hours is the norm in rural areas - and this is in the south(-west) of England.

Hit the nail on the head! I'm from a rural area in the East/ South - East, and public transport is pretty bad...
Gas here is like $1.20 per litre, yet we complain about it. LOL
Original post by ifstatement
Gas here is like $1.20 per litre, yet we complain about it. LOL

I love you edited that statement from gallons to litres!! :P
Original post by Annarr
Want to walk to school the distance of a half hour drive?! Didn't know this was going to cause such controversy aimed at me, just thought it would be a friendly discussion... haha

Why would you go to a school that far away? (Providing there isnt another closer school, if not then fair enough.)

Original post by dragon500uk
So you've lived outside all the cities in the UK? You've had one good experience of a place with good public transport and now you can extend that to the rest of the world?

"I was lucky enough to have decent public transport that suited my needs when I needed it so it must be the same for everyone else."

Listen to youself!

It's NOT the same for everywhere else! It differs from city to city because those cities are DIFFERENT! Also, just because a suburbian town is on the outskirts of a city doesn't mean it shares the same council or public transport companies!

Don't generalise when you don't have two hoots what you're talking about!

Im not basing my assumptions on 1 place. Ive lived in a city, on the outskirts and in a small town. There are going to be places with bad transport links, but the majority of places have decent enough services that can be used. And durrr, of course its going to be different in different places. I never said it wasnt. What I actually said was that the majority of people are stupid and think public transport is going to run perfectly when every piles on it at the same time in the morning. Why dont you try reading you patronising arse?
(edited 12 years ago)
I still don't drive, so I still don't care.
Reply 33
Original post by CB91
Why would you go to a school that far away? (Providing there is another closer school, of not then fair enough.)

There isn't a closer school that has a sixth form, no...
You pay 4p extra per litre. What's to discuss?
Reply 35
Original post by Miss Behaving
You pay 4p extra per litre. What's to discuss?

Whether you think it will? Whether you think it should? Whether it will affect you?
I don't know. Post what you want to post...
Reply 36
Original post by Annarr
Wow. Didn't know I was causing such offence already...
I learned to drive because I have to drive to get to school, and I pay for things at the moment because I have 2 part-time jobs. Sorry for appearing to be a stuck up 'middle class' kid... which I don't believe I am.

Apparently to most TSR members it doesn't really matter how much you're getting milked by the government, you're always in the wrong in the end and the government knows best.....

And yes I agree with you, it becoming increasingly un-liveable in the UK.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Martyn*
You're lucky to be able to afford to put petrol in it. A lot of students can barely afford to eat let alone run a car.

Man, I'd love to eat a tasty car.
Original post by Annarr
I don't live in London haha. I live in Suffolk, the land of buses every 2 hours if you're lucky... I have to drive to get to school, and have no way of getting around without my car, without relying on my parents... :frown:

cycle?
Original post by Yawn11
See you make yourself look stupid with a comment like this as driving is always an investment especially at a young age. So when you're older insurance is cheaper and easier to get.

Insurance is also more expensive if you live in London. If you never plan on driving in you're fine, but if you do, then you're stupid for not getting on it early.

Public transport is incredibly expensive in London. With student discount I have to pay at least £135 a month to travel. My mum's insurance is like £300 as she has gone years without an accident. In year I will pay more on PT/TFL than she will on petrol and insurance combined.

She can travel easy at night, I can't.

There is absolutely no benefits/investment or any sort of return in using public transport.

1. Hence why I said, if you have enough money so that petrol/insurance prices don't bother you or affect your budget/bank account....

2. I passed as soon as I turned 17. I'm not paying £4000 for insurance, it's not an investment. If I was rich, £4000 would be nothing to me, and therefore it wouldn't be an investment.

3. True, there's no return, you don't get no claims/no experience for using public transport, however it is cheaper if you're young and have just passed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending