The Student Room Group

Which University to Choose??

I'm an international student trying to decide on which university to choose. I've received offer from Bath, Cardiff, King's, Manchester & Nottingham. I don't really know these places and can't attend any of their open days. Therefore, hopefully those that went for the open day or are currently studyin in those respective unis will tell me more bout them. Stuff i would mainly like to know are:
1. How's the accomodation like?? Is it near the campus and is it convenient to go around? I heard sum places the rooms are quite small?? Is that true??
2. How's the place the uni is at?? Is it safe?? Where do ppl usually hang out??
3. how's the facilities in the uni??
4. The university's placement is more towards industry, hospitals or community?? From previous post in other topics, I've seen that bath is leaning towards industry and Manchester is more to hospitals. What about other unis??
5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available in the uni to help international student? And if i intend to get a part-time job, what kind of job would it usually be??

That's all i need to know. Hopefully I'm not askin too much. I really need to find out as i do not want to choose a uni which i wont be comfortable with in the future. Thankz for the help :smile:
Well, everyone here's going to be biased! I'm at Bath and I love it.

1) Almost all accommodation is on campus, unless you apply too late and end up in John Wood which is at the bottom of the hill. I live in Marlborough which is probably the nicest, but the other accommodation is fine *waits for recneps to start arguing*

2) The campus is really nice. I've heard of one instance of someone being mugged in the city but as far as I'm aware crime rates are low. Most first year students hang out on campus, I don't know about non-freshers! I suppose there's not a huge amount to do in Bath - there're plenty of pubs but not so many clubs/cinemas etc as other cities.

3) I guess you mean sports, when you say facilities? We have the STV which is really modern though fairly expensive, and astroturf for lacrosse, football etc, but there's also a sports hall with a cheaper gym and swimming pool.

4) Yes, I've heard that Bath leans more towards industry :smile:

5) I don't know about scholarships/financial aid. Your best bet would be to email/call the uni and ask them. As for jobs - it's easy to get a part time job in the city, there're also jobs in the bars on campus and in the SU shop etc.

Hope that helped!
Reply 2
opiache

1) Almost all accommodation is on campus, unless you apply too late and end up in John Wood which is at the bottom of the hill. I live in Marlborough which is probably the nicest, but the other accommodation is fine *waits for recneps to start arguing*

Would i argue with you?? The other accomodation is really good too. Marlborough and Solsbury are the modern ensuite blocks, but westwood (currently ensuite but not next year), eastwood and norwood (non-ensuite) are all good too. Marlborough and Solsbury will be hard to get into next year due to the increased demand (700 less ensuite rooms in westwood), but all the accomodation is of a good standard compared to many unis.

Bath seems to have a quiet union, but a good community spirit. The smallish size of the uni means that you can always go into one of the campus bars and see someone you know.

It is as safe a place to live as any, and has relatively low crime rates. The touristy atmosphere to the town centre does mean that you feel a lot safter walking through town at night than in some cities, but still don't recommend wandering around alone late at night.
Reply 3
Manchester ALWAYS!!!
MANCHESTER :biggrin:
Its great for everything you mentioned. Loads of accommodation all over the place, a huge student population - as an international student, you won't be alone by a long shot. Manchester is 3rd city of the Uk (but we always argue we're 2nd above birmingham) and unlike london, it doesn't break the bank to live here and its a lot more compact than London.

We're top of the league tables at the minute, tho tbh i don't know how they work them out.
Reply 5
-nutz-
I'm an international student trying to decide on which university to choose. I've received offer from Bath, Cardiff, King's, Manchester & Nottingham. I don't really know these places and can't attend any of their open days. Therefore, hopefully those that went for the open day or are currently studyin in those respective unis will tell me more bout them. Stuff i would mainly like to know are:
1. How's the accomodation like?? Is it near the campus and is it convenient to go around? I heard sum places the rooms are quite small?? Is that true??
2. How's the place the uni is at?? Is it safe?? Where do ppl usually hang out??
3. how's the facilities in the uni??
4. The university's placement is more towards industry, hospitals or community?? From previous post in other topics, I've seen that bath is leaning towards industry and Manchester is more to hospitals. What about other unis??
5. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available in the uni to help international student? And if i intend to get a part-time job, what kind of job would it usually be??

That's all i need to know. Hopefully I'm not askin too much. I really need to find out as i do not want to choose a uni which i wont be comfortable with in the future. Thankz for the help :smile:

Choose Cardiff University if you want to study Pharmacy. Its Pharmacy school is the best in UK. it is even better than Kings. last year 40 out of 90pharmacy students finished the course with first degree. Don't take my word for it. You can ask other people as well.
Reply 6
Notts!
Anjela
Choose Cardiff University if you want to study Pharmacy. Its Pharmacy school is the best in UK. it is even better than Kings. last year 40 out of 90pharmacy students finished the course with first degree. Don't take my word for it. You can ask other people as well.

:laugh: That doesn't mean the university is good - just that the exams are too easy! :biggrin:

King's is good, lots of international students. Good and bad accomodation is available - the best of which is right across the road from the campus at which Pharmacy is based. Obviously expensive, being in London, but well worth it for the experience of living in a big city.

At King's, there isn't much leaning towards industry - community (primary care) and hospital pharmacy are both given equal coverage - in the fourth year, we have a split of 1 day a week for each, 1 day off, and the remaining 2 days for elective courses.

Don't rely on part-time jobs. Pharmacy is a difficult and intensive course. For most of the 4 years, we've had Wednesdays off - but last year it was only Wednesday afternoons - you might find that you just don't have time to work when you have coursework, etc. to do!
Reply 8
Come to Bath! As I'm also an international student studying pharmacy at Bath, I think I made the right the decision to study here rather than at LSOP.

its much cheaper to live in Bath - accomodation is well good, I live in Norwood and its very warm in winter, rooms are big too!

There are loads of international students of my race - Hong Kong of China and I'm sure there are more overseas students around too.

Safe / low crime rates - I haven't been insulted by chavs for ages, unlike the old times when I was in Eastbourne

Sports facilities - the STV, modern, apparently 2nd best in the country (?)

last but not least - they don't offer scholarships to me but some of my friends have got them from some firms etc. Part time job is always a possibility, as I've found semester 1 was unbelievably freeeeee
Kingspharm
:laugh: That doesn't mean the university is good - just that the exams are too easy! :biggrin:

Come here and say that again :p:
Reply 10
Kingspharm

King's is good, lots of international students. Good and bad accomodation is available - the best of which is right across the road from the campus at which Pharmacy is based. Obviously expensive, being in London, but well worth it for the experience of living in a big city.

At King's, there isn't much leaning towards industry - community (primary care) and hospital pharmacy are both given equal coverage - in the fourth year, we have a split of 1 day a week for each, 1 day off, and the remaining 2 days for elective courses.

Don't rely on part-time jobs. Pharmacy is a difficult and intensive course. For most of the 4 years, we've had Wednesdays off - but last year it was only Wednesday afternoons - you might find that you just don't have time to work when you have coursework, etc. to do!

Sorry can't agree. I have refered to many books and it is always cardiff which is at the top of the list then Kings.
Anyway you can have your opinion.
Anjela
Sorry can't agree. I have refered to many books and it is always cardiff which is at the top of the list then Kings.
Anyway you can have your opinion.

I didn't say that Kings was any better than Cardiff did I? :laugh:

Just that counting the number of people who come out with first class degrees isn't a reliable measure of how good a university is/isn't. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending