The Student Room Group

I have an Enquiry that I need help with..

Am not sure where to put this on the forums..

Hi there
Im 20 currently living in Northern Ireland

I have previously studied 2 years of a HND, and have started a course at the University of Ulster in year 2. I have realised that this is not the course that I am wanting to do, and have been told by the course co-ordinator that If I am to drop out before the end of October I would not owe any fees to the university.
All well and dandy but this is where it gets complicated!

I was also told by him that I could pay the loan and grant instalments back to the student loans company (student finance NI) and I could start a fresh in september.. which is logical in my opinion!
However!

I rang yesterday to the company who told me that this year would count as one year which means If I am to still owe nothing to the university, and pay back my instalments that if I was to go and start another course in year 2, that I would only get funding for the final year of it and not next year when I intend to start.

Is this true?! I need advice as how is any normal student suppose to fund 8 or 9 thousand pounds and is there anything else I could apply for that would cover the costs?

Any help/comments are appreciated!

Thanks
Sean
Original post by BelfastSean
Am not sure where to put this on the forums..

Hi there
Im 20 currently living in Northern Ireland

I have previously studied 2 years of a HND, and have started a course at the University of Ulster in year 2. I have realised that this is not the course that I am wanting to do, and have been told by the course co-ordinator that If I am to drop out before the end of October I would not owe any fees to the university.
All well and dandy but this is where it gets complicated!

I was also told by him that I could pay the loan and grant instalments back to the student loans company (student finance NI) and I could start a fresh in september.. which is logical in my opinion!
However!

I rang yesterday to the company who told me that this year would count as one year which means If I am to still owe nothing to the university, and pay back my instalments that if I was to go and start another course in year 2, that I would only get funding for the final year of it and not next year when I intend to start.

Is this true?! I need advice as how is any normal student suppose to fund 8 or 9 thousand pounds and is there anything else I could apply for that would cover the costs?

Any help/comments are appreciated!

Thanks
Sean

Yes that sounds right, even if you take no finance whatsoever, but start a year for even a day, it counts as a year of funding. I'm not 100% sure on this as I don't know about your previous qualification, or starting in year 2, but I do know that a few days of uni counts as a year of funding no matter what.
Reply 2
In my eyes that's an absolute joke!
Am trying to give them my money!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending