The Student Room Group

Buying 'Trending' spots on social media sites.

I think that one of the greatest aspects of social media sites such as youtube, in particular the trending section, is that it allows creative amateur video makers to reach millions of people across the world. Therefore, I love it when a big company tries to manipulate this type of media for profit/ratings and it backfires spectacularly as shown here; (see comments section)

This sort of manipulation, in one form or another is slowly becoming more common, especially within youtube. The comments section for commercially sponsored channels such as the X Factor have been blocked so as not to influence public opinion, damage t.v ratings and affect the outcome of the show (personally I think the show is a pile of superficial s*** and is fixed from the start). I've also seen a number of other similar videos in which the highest rated comments are suspiciously positive to say the least.
I don't see why youtube feels obligated to protect the interests of channels like this by blocking comments, regardless of how much they have paid. People should not be manipulated into thinking a certain way and should be allowed to voice their own opinion.
Rant over :smile:
Too damn right. It's even worse on Twitter, where one can simply buy a trending spot. It complete goes against the point of trends.
Reply 2
bump!
Original post by CD2112
bump!

You wouldn't have to bump if you brought a trending spot on TSR.
Reply 4
Anyone can disable ocmments, ratings, and all sorts on their Youtube videos. You don't need to pay...
Reply 5
You're quite right. There is absolutely no economic case whatsoever for allowing firms to lie to consumers. It's essentialy a very mild form of fraud.
Reply 6
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
You wouldn't have to bump if you brought a trending spot on TSR.

i don't get your sig
Original post by Alt__x
i don't get your sig

Puts the universe in perspective.
Original post by Alt__x
i don't get your sig

What part dont you get? Its star size comparison.
Reply 9
lol, unlucky British Gas, that is one of the lamest things ive seen in a while.
You think that's bad, how about the new advert for Muller yogurt with all those people being turned into Cartoon characters like Yogi bear and Mr Men.

One of the most pointless adverts I have ever seen.

Quick Reply

Latest