The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster 2012 Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

hey,
I applied for Lancaster and I am waiting for a reply but I was wondering if anybody could tell me if we were supposed to state which college we would like to go to on UCAS? I didn't as I thought this would be dealt with as accommodation later and I didn't really have a preference as I haven't visited. Is this a problem?
Thanks and good luck everybody :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 261
Original post by mynameiseve
hey,
I applied for Lancaster and I am waiting for a reply but I was wondering if anybody could tell me if we were supposed to state which college we would like to go to on UCAS? I didn't as I thought this would be dealt with as accommodation later and I didn't really have a preference as I haven't visited. Is this a problem?
Thanks and good luck everybody :smile:

Don't worry, you sort out your college way later, after you have done your exams :smile:
Original post by Davott
Don't worry, you sort out your college way later, after you have done your exams :smile:

Thank you!! that's a relief aha. rep (:
really hope i get an offer :afraid:
Just heard back from Lancaster! :biggrin: I want to study English Literature and Religious Studies, was expecting AAB - HOWEVER conditional offer has come back at AAA! It is my first choice - will not be easily achieved though... So much hard work to be put in from now on....
Reply 264
Original post by BigWilfo
Got a letter yestoday saying that i have an informal interview for Biomedicine. Has anyone else received this, and also, by informal interview, would you say i have to wear a suit/smart wear, or just my normal everyday clothes?

Hiya when is your interview? Mine is tomorrow :s-smilie:
Reply 265
Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman
Just heard back from Lancaster! :biggrin: I want to study English Literature and Religious Studies, was expecting AAB - HOWEVER conditional offer has come back at AAA! It is my first choice - will not be easily achieved though... So much hard work to be put in from now on....

That's strange considering it says AAB on UCAS. I've applied to study English Language and the requirement is AAA-AAB on UCAS... I'm expecting a similar story to yours if they decide to give me an offer!
Reply 266
Original post by The.Night.Watch.Woman

Me too! :biggrin: Bit worried - I'm in a similar situation to you - I was expecting AAB but got AAA for some reason. I'm hoping to do English and History. :smile: It is pretty strange this grade requirement situation as on their website and on the open day nothing was said about AAA. :confused: Although at the bottom they've put '(The achievement of an equivalent combination of grades will be considered but cannot automatically be accepted as meeting the terms of this offer.)' - does this mean I could get say A*AB and they might still consider letting me in?
I got my first offer today - which was from Lancaster to study English with Creative writing, and like above I was hoping for AAB, but got AAA - It does, however, accept general studies as an A-level so if you are predicted well for that/if you take it as a subject, that may have been taken into account :smile:
@Emmarr the put the equivelent combination thing on mine as well, and I think that does mean that if you get A*AB they will consider it as an equivelent of AAA - so hopefully, fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 268
I finally got an acknowledgment from Lancaster today :smile: 6 days after I sent my UCAS off.... An offer would be nice now :smile:
Reply 269
Original post by nic_01
Hiya when is your interview? Mine is tomorrow :s-smilie:

Yeh, I'm also tomorrow :smile: Good Luck!
Reply 270
Original post by NotAnotherLaura
I got my first offer today - which was from Lancaster to study English with Creative writing, and like above I was hoping for AAB, but got AAA - It does, however, accept general studies as an A-level so if you are predicted well for that/if you take it as a subject, that may have been taken into account :smile:
@Emmarr the put the equivelent combination thing on mine as well, and I think that does mean that if you get A*AB they will consider it as an equivelent of AAA - so hopefully, fingers crossed :smile:

Ahh I see, yeah that makes sense :smile:

I'm also taking A2 Critical Thinking (as well as General Studies) and I know they say they accept these as part of your offer. But do you think they would accept both Critical Thinking AND General Studies as part of your 3 As? Seems a bit weird if they do - not that I'm complaining! :colondollar:
Original post by Emmarr
Ahh I see, yeah that makes sense :smile:

I'm also taking A2 Critical Thinking (as well as General Studies) and I know they say they accept these as part of your offer. But do you think they would accept both Critical Thinking AND General Studies as part of your 3 As? Seems a bit weird if they do - not that I'm complaining! :colondollar:

Ahh I'm not sure, but you could perhaps e-mail them? I'm sure they'll let you know :biggrin: And that would be pretty good if CT was included for you too :smile:
Original post by Emmarr
Me too! :biggrin: Bit worried - I'm in a similar situation to you - I was expecting AAB but got AAA for some reason. I'm hoping to do English and History. :smile: It is pretty strange this grade requirement situation as on their website and on the open day nothing was said about AAA. :confused: Although at the bottom they've put '(The achievement of an equivalent combination of grades will be considered but cannot automatically be accepted as meeting the terms of this offer.)' - does this mean I could get say A*AB and they might still consider letting me in?

Applied for the same course and got the same offer :frown: I was so gutted when I saw it, because it was my first choice. I'm not sure now...
Original post by Emmarr

They should let you in with a*ab, as long as you have a couple of enrichment subjects. I'm at Lancaster now, and have friends with grades way below the boundaries. Obviously, this depends on intake, and how many people apply/get in, but this should be much better next year, as if people have got in this year with below boundary grades (after how competitive it was) you should be fine :smile:
You will have to try and get A's or A*'s in English and history though, for this to work!! Good Luck!!
Reply 274
has anyone got any offers for languages yet?
Yaaay unconditional offer for Philosophy!!! :smile:
Reply 276
Offer for Politics and Sociology! I'M SO HAPPYYYY!!! :biggrin:
It hasn't appeared on track yet, I really want to know the conditions of my offer! I got a letter in the post saying 'I am very pleased to inform you that I have recommended that the University makes you an offer of a place at Lancaster'

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
Reply 277
Well done on the offers guys! I got one from Lancaster today for mechanical engineering... are there any fellow engineers about?
Reply 278
Original post by nosbornais
They should let you in with a*ab, as long as you have a couple of enrichment subjects. I'm at Lancaster now, and have friends with grades way below the boundaries. Obviously, this depends on intake, and how many people apply/get in, but this should be much better next year, as if people have got in this year with below boundary grades (after how competitive it was) you should be fine :smile:
You will have to try and get A's or A*'s in English and history though, for this to work!! Good Luck!!

Ah that's good to know :smile: What do you mean by enrichment subjects - things like Critical Thinking?
Yeah, when I went to an open day they said in the English talk they were open to being slightly flexible with lower grades, depending on how many places they had left etc.
Yes I can see how I'd have to do well in those subjects - however, I'm pretty worried about my English Literature. I got an A overall at AS but got a B in the exam :frown: (full marks in the coursework though! :biggrin:). I'm retaking the exam in January but I'm still not overly confident I'll be able to get an A in it. Do you think there's any chance at all that they possibly might let me in if I didn't get an A in English? From your experience?
I've applied for Marketing Management :smile: I'm hoping if I get an offer it will be AAB like it states - the course looks brilliant!!! Anyone else applied for a business related course?

Quick Reply

Latest