The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster 2012 Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what my chances of still getting an offer are if I don't go to the Physics interview day? I went to an open day last year and this mostly sounds the same (tour of the department, looking at research, etc) and if I get an offer they are only going to be my insurance. I understand there is a short interview, but I read that everyone who went last year got an offer so I'm just wondering how competitive it is.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
^^

Think it makes perfect sense to go.

After all, you must be fairly local, it is quite an enjoyable afternoon, and you get to chat with a couple of the tutors. I don't know if the chance of anoffer is less if you don't attend, but for a small outlay, is it worth taking the risk?
Original post by Matty707
has anyone here applied to do economics and got an offer yet? What offer did you get? I applied a couple months ago and have offers from Surrey, Birmingham and Essex so I was just wondering how long it took.

I applied on the 22nd November for L101 and received an offer on the 21st December, conditions AAA or alternatively AAB for L100, same as 21Grapes.
Original post by vedderfan94
Does anyone know what my chances of still getting an offer are if I don't go to the Physics interview day? I went to an open day last year and this mostly sounds the same (tour of the department, looking at research, etc) and if I get an offer they are only going to be my insurance. I understand there is a short interview, but I read that everyone who went last year got an offer so I'm just wondering how competitive it is.

I went to interview and loved the university because it was the first time I had seen it. I travelled 4 1/2 hours to get there.
Original post by funkymonks
Hi all, anyone else holding an offer to study Politics and IR BA?
My offer is AAB.
Either Lancaster or Exeter is set to be my firm.
Anyone studying this now? Would love to hear some reviews on the course and department.
Kind regards.

Hi :smile:
I study first year poli as a minor (but both minor and major students do the same course, it's an unnecessarily complicated system, but you will get to grips with it hahaha!). It's a good course with good lecturers on the whole. First year is very similar to A Level politics, but first year in most subjects will be introductory on the whole. Have friends in third year who study poli as well, and it seems to get better as the course progresses. Some really interesting modules in second and third year. I'd recommend it :smile: The workload isn't too heavy, but enough to be stimulating, considering you will have two other minor subjects to contend with in your first year :smile:
Original post by North Irelandman
I applied on the 22nd November for L101 and received an offer on the 21st December, conditions AAA or alternatively AAB for L100, same as 21Grapes.

aww same course!! are you going to firm?
Original post by 21Grapes
aww same course!! are you going to firm?

I might be! I'm still waiting for a decision from LSE and UCL but in all likelihood I'll be rejected :frown: I'll be checking out Lancaster in feb/march and if it looks as good as I think it will I'll be heading there in October :smile: What about yourself?
I might be! I'm still waiting for a decision from LSE and UCL but in all likelihood I'll be rejected :frown: I'll be checking out Lancaster in feb/march and if it looks as good as I think it will I'll be heading there in October :smile: What about yourself?

Exactly the same as you. Waiting to hear from LSE and UCL but i'm not too optimistic and the wait is getting me aggitated. Lancaster seems very likely right now :smile:
Exactly the same as you. Waiting to hear from LSE and UCL but i'm not too optimistic and the wait is getting me aggitated. Lancaster seems very likely right now :smile:

Wow haha! Wasn't expecting that, what are your 5 course choices? I only wish I had realised how insanely competitive L101 at LSE is before I sent my UCAS away, I would have written my statement for another course.
Wow haha! Wasn't expecting that, what are your 5 course choices? I only wish I had realised how insanely competitive L101 at LSE is before I sent my UCAS away, I would have written my statement for another course.

Manchester and York, which i have received offers for - though i can't say im particularly interested in going there. YOu?
Applied to Econ/Econ history at LSE because the requirements were lower than L101 but i doubt my ps had sufficient content on the history part.. :/ i guess lse was too ambitious for me! so a rejection wouldn't be unexpected.

However even if i do end up at Lancaster i just hope i didnt make the wrong decision in going there :smile:
Manchester and York, which i have received offers for - though i can't say im particularly interested in going there. YOu?
Applied to Econ/Econ history at LSE because the requirements were lower than L101 but i doubt my ps had sufficient content on the history part.. :/ i guess lse was too ambitious for me! so a rejection wouldn't be unexpected.

However even if i do end up at Lancaster i just hope i didnt make the wrong decision in going there :smile:

Just offers from Queens and Lancaster, then I'm waiting for Economics at LSE/UCL and Economics and Economic History at LSE (only applied this weekend for it). My personal statement barely touches on Economic History, and my grade profile isn't up to standard for L101 so that was not very well thought out :s-smilie: What are your grades like if you don't mind me asking?

Lancaster would give me a better degree and university experience (with the year abroad) than Queens, but it would mean leaving the country which I guess could be scary when it comes to it.
Hay Ive applied to do law and criminology at Lancaster and got my offer a while ago of AAB hopefully gonna firm it after I see lancaster properly in March

anything you could tell me that might inform my choice about the uni would be great ?
Just offers from Queens and Lancaster, then I'm waiting for Economics at LSE/UCL and Economics and Economic History at LSE (only applied this weekend for it). My personal statement barely touches on Economic History, and my grade profile isn't up to standard for L101 so that was not very well thought out :s-smilie: What are your grades like if you don't mind me asking?

Lancaster would give me a better degree and university experience (with the year abroad) than Queens, but it would mean leaving the country which I guess could be scary when it comes to it.

I'll PM you :smile:
Original post by blondie :)
Helloooo :colondollar:

I could only find a medicine 2012 applicants thread, so I thought I'd make one for everyone :biggrin:

What courses are people applying for? :smile:

There's also a facebook group for everyone to join as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/313933688628226/
Good Luck to all those applying! :biggrin:

I've applied for social work at Lancaster, anyone else going for social work? I am also applying for mental health nursing and need to start deciding between the two! Any advice? I am a mature student at 34 and going to leave my fairly decent full time job to do this...am i mad?:confused:
Reply 694
PPE at lancaster anyone???
Reply 695
Got a conditional to do economics! :biggrin: AAB woo
Reply 696
Just got an offer letter to do maths G100! So excited!!! :smile: Ucas hasn't updated though so don't have the offer yet but still! :biggrin:

Also I applied for just maths, but I'm interested in the year of study abroad, did you have to apply for this course on ucas or is it a bit like some of the other courses where you can just switch after the first year? Reeeeeally want to go to America! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Applying for Mechatronics, just submitted my application on 15th Jan.
Original post by holly-e
Just got an offer letter to do maths G100! So excited!!! :smile: Ucas hasn't updated though so don't have the offer yet but still! :biggrin:

Also I applied for just maths, but I'm interested in the year of study abroad, did you have to apply for this course on ucas or is it a bit like some of the other courses where you can just switch after the first year? Reeeeeally want to go to America! :smile:

you can apply for the study abroad option when you get there :smile:
Reply 699
Original post by Superwoman
you can apply for the study abroad option when you get there :smile:

Oh awesome, thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending