The Student Room Group

Car crash - car written off. help?

I was driving back home from Surrey to Northumberland last wednesday evening. Its a journey I've done countless times (every 3 weeks or so).

I was on the a1, near to Leeds. The weather conditions weren't great, I was going just under to dead on the speed limit, and I was in the third lane, when a car pulled out of the second lane going WAY slower than me. I couldnt say how much slower but I slammed on my brakes to avoid going into the back of them, it was totally unsafe of them to come into the 3rd lane at that speed. as I braked and because it was wet my car skidded and swerved. I must have hit the rain gulley because I lost control of the car, as it veered into the central reservation and span around twice, hitting both the front and back of the car into the barrier. I just remember thinking I was going to die/tryiing to hold the steering wheel firmly and brake but not so hard that I'd skid further. It was so so scared.

Once the car stopped, I made it across to the hard shoulder when it was safe. I didnt really know if that was the right thing to do but at the time I had no idea where my car really was (it was in the central reservation).

Anywaaaaaay. Long story. Police arrived within 2 minutes. I was 130 miles from home but my insurance company got my home with my battered car on the back of a truck within three hours.

So my Yaris got taken to be assessed, not surprised its being written off. They haven't valued it yet. My first queston is:

What would you say it will get valued at?
Toyota yaris, 2005, 65k miles, 1 previous owner from new, full service history etc, it didn't have a scratch on it before the crash :frown: I paid £3500 for it in february..

I only got fully comp. insurance last month (THANK GOD!) which I pay monthly. On reading the small print about claims it say if you make a claim for total loss, the full years insurance will be taken from the total loss payment. so this means my entire years insurance for the yaris (£1000 left to pay) will come off the payment for the car? even though I only got a month's insurance out of it?

And what about the DICK who pulled out in front of me? If there's cameras on that stretch of motorway showing that car pulling out dangerously into the lane causing me to break dangerously surely they have to take some blame?? Why should I lose my lovely car and £1000 etc?

I'm so sad :frown: I've only just started paying the bank loan off for this car too. Its going to take me three years. I am gutted.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by something_vague
I was driving back home from Surrey to Northumberland last wednesday evening. Its a journey I've done countless times (every 3 weeks or so).

I was on the a1, near to Leeds. The weather conditions weren't great, I was going just under to dead on the speed limit, and I was in the third lane, when a car pulled out of the second lane going WAY slower than me. I couldnt say how much slower but I slammed on my brakes to avoid going into the back of them, it was totally unsafe of them to come into the 3rd lane at that speed. as I braked and because it was wet my car skidded and swerved. I must have hit the rain gulley because I lost control of the car, as it veered into the central reservation and span around twice, hitting both the front and back of the car into the barrier. I just remember thinking I was going to die/tryiing to hold the steering wheel firmly and brake but not so hard that I'd skid further. It was so so scared.

Once the car stopped, I made it across to the hard shoulder when it was safe. I didnt really know if that was the right thing to do but at the time I had no idea where my car really was (it was in the central reservation).

Anywaaaaaay. Long story. Police arrived within 2 minutes. I was 130 miles from home but my insurance company got my home with my battered car on the back of a truck within three hours.

So my Yaris got taken to be assessed, not surprised its being written off. They haven't valued it yet. My first queston is:

Toyota yaris, 2005, 65k miles, 1 previous owner from new, full service history etc, it didn't have a scratch on it before the crash :frown: I paid £3500 for it in february..

I only got fully comp. insurance last month (THANK GOD!) which I pay monthly. On reading the small print about claims it say if you make a claim for total loss, the full years insurance will be taken from the total loss payment. so this means my entire years insurance for the yaris (£1000 left to pay) will come off the payment for the car? even though I only got a month's insurance out of it?

And what about the DICK who pulled out in front of me? If there's cameras on that stretch of motorway showing that car pulling out dangerously into the lane causing me to break dangerously surely they have to take some blame?? Why should I lose my lovely car and £1000 etc?

I'm so sad :frown: I've only just started paying the bank loan off for this car too. Its going to take me three years. I am gutted.

I can't tell you how much they'd evaluate it at being worth, but it'll certainly be less than market value. The bit in bold - holding on to the steering wheel is all well and good if you still have some semblance of control. Once you're out of control I'd try to let go of it if you can make yourself do it. When you're doing 70odd mph the impact could quite easily break bones in your hand by ripping the steering wheel around, especially if you're gripping on to it hard. Keeping your foot on the brakes is good though.

Glad to hear you made it out ok, modern cars are pretty good at keeping you safe but motorway crashes can always end badly. I had somebody do exactly the same thing to me while I was driving in the middle lane. I was cruising along at 75odd and some pillock pulled out in front of me from the outside lane at about 65mph giving me almost no room to react. I managed to brake swerve into the fast lane to avoid him but it was close. It was difficult as I checked my mirrors and blind spot to make sure I didn't do exactly the same thing to anyone in the fast lane and it was a pretty close call. I leant on my horn and gave him a bit of the finger for almost causing a big accident.
Reply 2
It's amazing what can happen when people don't use those bits of reflective glass stuck to the sides of their cars. At least you made it out okay. All you lost was a piece of metal and some numbers in your bank account - when you were at the side of the motorway did you stop and realise just how fast those cars are going at 70mph? To come out of it unscathed is always a miracle of engineering imo.

Can't say I've ever been in your situation, but one thing I was told when I started driving was if you have a car written off, never accept your insurance company's first offer for the car. They always offer a really low amount first time in case they have an idiot who blindly accepts it. Hold out until you get a more respectable figure for it. Other than that I can't really help, as I said it's not something I've been involved in.

Best of luck.
i sometimes criticise and make fun of modern day cars for being increasingly fat and heavy as a result of all this safety technologies being equipped, but reading this kind of story reminds me that there is good behind it. thankfully in your highspeed situation you were driving a 2005 yaris, instead of a car like mine (1979 vw golf) o_O

i hope you are alright.
Reply 4
To Nuffles,
You can use hindsight to say let go of the steering wheel etc because you could hurt yourself, but when you crash your car you panic and look for some sort of security and holding onto something is that. Just like when you fall over you put your hands out.
I would give your story to your insurance company, and try and get them to fight it as non-fault. If the 3rd car involved (the one behind you) saw what happened, and backs you up that the person in front was driving dangerously, then you may have a chance of winning, although if nothing else it could go from fault to partial fault.
TBH your going to get royally screwed because of this. No contact with the other car so no proof and he gets off scott free.

if you want justice, often your better off ramming the bastard who pulled out on you. Might hurt but it means you stand a far better chance of getting a better outcome on the insurance etc at a slightly increased risk of injury.

And no i dont mean dont brake, still brake but dont swerve into the central reservation to avoid a collision. For a start, most cars rear crumple zones are softer than crash barriers!!! plus your hitting his crumple zone at a speed difference of 20-40mph rather than a crash barrier at 50- 60mph while out of control.

remember cars are extensively designed and tested for straight and offset frontal impacts into other cars/objects at upto 40mph. Your not likely to have a higher speed differential than that and probably significantly less. Its a far more crash stable scenario than spinning all over the carriageway which has many serious potential outcomes.

I always have a "take the ******* down with you" attitude to these kinds of accidents as even if you still get a 50-50 claim, at least you taught the little mong a lesson by taking him out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by jamienight60
To Nuffles,
You can use hindsight to say let go of the steering wheel etc because you could hurt yourself, but when you crash your car you panic and look for some sort of security and holding onto something is that. Just like when you fall over you put your hands out.

Agreed. In panic situations, logic will usually go out of the window.

Original post by warrenpenalver
I always have a "take the ******* down with you" attitude to these kinds of accidents as even if you still get a 50-50 claim, at least you taught the little mong a lesson by taking him out.

You're probably right, but it's difficult to see anybody not trying to avoid a collision, if they can help it. It would be a reaction to try and get out of the way. Unless you've been in the situation before?

I don't have any advice, but it's good to know that you made it out okay, OP.
To Nuffles,

Putting your hands out when you fall is logical though, it stops you from breaking your nose / injuring your head.
Reply 9
I feel for you. I really hate idiotic drivers, especially on the motorway.
Original post by CitizensUnited
Putting your hands out when you fall is logical though, it stops you from breaking your nose / injuring your head.

But you can shatter your wrists. It's not actually logical at all. Much more logical to fall on your forearms not your outstretched hands.

/on topic.

OP - I'm really sorry to hear your story. I'd be absolutely fuming in your situation especially if the other driver gets off scott free. It's a long shot but did you happen to get the number plate or the make/model of the car?

I know what you're saying but I can't agree... My uncle was being driven by his friend to a football match about a month ago, when (on a motorway, in the third lane) the car started to drift across suddenly. My uncle noticed just in time to grab the wheel and hold the car straight before it crashed into a car in the first lane luckily... unfortunately his friend had died of a heart attack instantly as he was driving along and obviously there was not much they could do about it. If someone had pulled out/crashed into them on purpose it could've caused a much bigger crash and potentially killed the other occupants of the car.

So maybe think a little about that? Yes 99% of the time it's people being twazzocks but rarely it could be something they have no control over and going all gung ho and ramming them can make it worse.
Reply 12
To Nuffles,

It's people who panic who get themselves into more trouble. I read somewhere that if you're on an airplane which is going to crash, if you can keep calm for the first 10 or 15 seconds, your chances of survival go up massively. None of my cars have had ABS and as a result I've managed to teach myself 'manual' ABS where you release some of the pressure on the brakes when you feel/hear the brakes lock up. The first few times you do it it feels totally wrong when you're faced with a car coming towards you fast on a country lane or if somebody has pulled out in front of you at a junction, to actually release some pressure on the brakes when all you want to do is stop, but you just have to keep calm and think rationally. Once the adrenaline kicks in everything starts slowing right down (well, obviously everything stays the same speed but your brain speeds up which makes everything seem to slow) which gives you more time to think. I can't think of a single situation in which keeping calm doesn't raise your chances of survival.
Reply 13
No point berating the OP with "you should of done x y and z". What's done is done. In these sort of situations you're going to do what you instintively think you should.

Unfortunately, these things happen. Better to walk away and be annoyed about it than to not have walked away eh?

If you want to get a rough value for your car, find the cheapest one you can see to your exact spec on autotrader.
A pal of mine had a vectra written off by the insurance co and they gave him a silly price. However, his was an SRI model in a ltd edition colour so the offer was rejected twice until they were able to track down one in the exact spec to get a price.
If your car is a pretty common spec then you'll likely not get a fantastic settlement.
Original post by Nuffles
I can't tell you how much they'd evaluate it at being worth, but it'll certainly be less than market value. The bit in bold - holding on to the steering wheel is all well and good if you still have some semblance of control. Once you're out of control I'd try to let go of it if you can make yourself do it. When you're doing 70odd mph the impact could quite easily break bones in your hand by ripping the steering wheel around, especially if you're gripping on to it hard. Keeping your foot on the brakes is good though.

Glad to hear you made it out ok, modern cars are pretty good at keeping you safe but motorway crashes can always end badly. I had somebody do exactly the same thing to me while I was driving in the middle lane. I was cruising along at 75odd and some pillock pulled out in front of me from the outside lane at about 65mph giving me almost no room to react. I managed to brake swerve into the fast lane to avoid him but it was close. It was difficult as I checked my mirrors and blind spot to make sure I didn't do exactly the same thing to anyone in the fast lane and it was a pretty close call. I leant on my horn and gave him a bit of the finger for almost causing a big accident.

Original post by FXX
It's amazing what can happen when people don't use those bits of reflective glass stuck to the sides of their cars. At least you made it out okay. All you lost was a piece of metal and some numbers in your bank account - when you were at the side of the motorway did you stop and realise just how fast those cars are going at 70mph? To come out of it unscathed is always a miracle of engineering imo.

Can't say I've ever been in your situation, but one thing I was told when I started driving was if you have a car written off, never accept your insurance company's first offer for the car. They always offer a really low amount first time in case they have an idiot who blindly accepts it. Hold out until you get a more respectable figure for it. Other than that I can't really help, as I said it's not something I've been involved in.

Best of luck.

Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
i sometimes criticise and make fun of modern day cars for being increasingly fat and heavy as a result of all this safety technologies being equipped, but reading this kind of story reminds me that there is good behind it. thankfully in your highspeed situation you were driving a 2005 yaris, instead of a car like mine (1979 vw golf) o_O

i hope you are alright.

To Nuffles,

Original post by rmhumphries
I would give your story to your insurance company, and try and get them to fight it as non-fault. If the 3rd car involved (the one behind you) saw what happened, and backs you up that the person in front was driving dangerously, then you may have a chance of winning, although if nothing else it could go from fault to partial fault.

TBH your going to get royally screwed because of this. No contact with the other car so no proof and he gets off scott free.

if you want justice, often your better off ramming the bastard who pulled out on you. Might hurt but it means you stand a far better chance of getting a better outcome on the insurance etc at a slightly increased risk of injury.

And no i dont mean dont brake, still brake but dont swerve into the central reservation to avoid a collision. For a start, most cars rear crumple zones are softer than crash barriers!!! plus your hitting his crumple zone at a speed difference of 20-40mph rather than a crash barrier at 50- 60mph while out of control.

remember cars are extensively designed and tested for straight and offset frontal impacts into other cars/objects at upto 40mph. Your not likely to have a higher speed differential than that and probably significantly less. Its a far more crash stable scenario than spinning all over the carriageway which has many serious potential outcomes.

Original post by NathanW18
Agreed. In panic situations, logic will usually go out of the window.

You're probably right, but it's difficult to see anybody not trying to avoid a collision, if they can help it. It would be a reaction to try and get out of the way. Unless you've been in the situation before?

I don't have any advice, but it's good to know that you made it out okay, OP.

Original post by Aack
I feel for you. I really hate idiotic drivers, especially on the motorway.

Original post by JohnC2211
But you can shatter your wrists. It's not actually logical at all. Much more logical to fall on your forearms not your outstretched hands.

/on topic.

OP - I'm really sorry to hear your story. I'd be absolutely fuming in your situation especially if the other driver gets off scott free. It's a long shot but did you happen to get the number plate or theo make/model of the car?

Thank you all for replying I'll reply properly below.
Unfortunately I didn't catch the make/model of the car or number plate. I couldn't even see what colour it was because it was dark :frown: it happened so fast I didn't really think before reacting, I didn't think 'I'm not going to drive into the back of him I'll swerve into the central reservation instead' I just thought OH **** I'm inches away from that car. I hit the break really hard and I must have swerved without realising, which is when my car went into the gulley in the road making me lose control. From then (which only probably lasted a few seconds really) I was so confused. I don't know, my car was still moving really fast and it was dark and I couldn't see, it hit against the barrier at least twice cos i felt it and it hurt (later found out it did a lot of damage to the barrier). But I had no idea where the car actually was in relation to traffic, and I had no idea if other cars were involved in the accident so I was just worrying that I was going to get hit by another car/another car had already been involved. I did remain calm though. I don't think I could've let go of the steering wheel, I might have ended back on the road and causing a horrific crash if I did? But you're right, gripping the wheel definitely can cause injuries. The doctor I saw said that's the cause of my neck injury actually.

It's lucky I wasn't going over the speed limit to be honest, I don't speed dangerously, but I do go over on the motorway and I expect the accident could have been worse if I had been. The only reason I wasn't was due to the rain.

Straight after the accident I was just feeling lucky to be okay and not hurt etc, and now I'm just so so angry about this. That was my car :frown: I've worked so hard to afford that car. It's costing me £200 for THREE YEARS to pay off a car thats getting put in the bin. Not only that my insurance is going to shoot up?

after the crash:

i didnt get any picture of the back but it looked very similar :frown: the boot wouldnt shut properly...... lights smashed, bumper smashed.

I'm really sad about my yaris :frown: I doubt I can afford another one, and I LOVED my yaris. It was a 1.3l, I loved it. It was perfect for my long trips because it didn't struggle on the motorway, it felt sturdy. I guess it proved that when it didn't really crumble and kill me in the crash! Perhaps I should save up for another. I've had a few cars and I loved my yaris. It was so reliable :smile: I'm so pissed off this has happened :frown: Now I guess I just wait and see what they offer.... What would you say is the least I should accept?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by something_vague

Sorry to hear about your accident, the important thing is that you walked away from it. Unfortunately in yor case it doesn't sound like you made contact with anything other than the barrier. Your insurance company will be the one investigating this and will consider this to be a single vehicle collision and will not look to pursue any other parties. Did the police say they would be looking at the other driver for any driving offences? If not i'm afraid your on your own with your insurance company.

How the hell did you get a positive rep for this post? That's disgusting

Ring up your local police station to pursue any cameras in the area,

Don't accept the first valuation. I would hazard a guess at 2500 as an amount you might get after haggling

Good luck
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Pwn4g3_P13
Jesus christ, how the hell did you get a positive rep for this post?

Ring up your local police station to pursue any cameras in the area,

Don't accept the first valuation. I would hazard a guess at 2500 as an amount you might get after haggling

Good luck

Agreed, if you deliberately rammed the other car you could be facing criminal proceedings. As for the cameras, if they are there they are normally only around junctions. If the police are not investigating the collision, which they would only do if they were investigating one of the parties for a driving offence or if a serrious injury had occured, then they will not be able to help you with the cameras.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Yes 99% of the time it's people being twazzocks but rarely it could be something they have no control over and going all gung ho and ramming them can make it worse.

sorry but id rather react 100% of the time to the behaviour of 99% of moron drivers than take into account the 1% of the time when its innocent. Although judging from all the crashes you see lately, i suspect its considerably less than 1%.

And i didnt say go gun ho and ram them. I said continue to emergency stop and hold your course. Even if that results in a collision, its almost certainly safer than an uncontrolled car bouncing off the central reservation. as said, cars are designed for those kind of straight impacts at the kind of speeds we are talking about.

I know too many people whove been hurt or screwed over because they swerved off the road and crashed to avoid a mong driver who got off scott free. Its about time the tables were turned.

Original post by Pwn4g3_P13
Jesus christ, how the hell did you get a positive rep for this post?

because its practical in the current world and no less safe than totally loosing control.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending