The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Archaeology 2012 Undergraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AquilaXenon
I am slightly nervous about it but looking forward to it all the same. I've got an offer for my first choice so it might be my insurance if I get an offer.

Where was your first choice again?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Kirikyu
Don't worry too much, I went in January and everybody was really nice and the interview wasn't too bad at all.

Thank you! I'll try not to worry :smile:

Original post by yakuzakitty
Where was your first choice again?

Cambridge as long as I get the A*AA grades.
Hi all!
Been having a read and congrats to all of you who have been offered places :smile: I was just wondering if anyone knows if UCL deal with mature student applications differently to Alevel students? I'm currently on an Access to HE course and am panicking because I haven't heard anything from them :/ I've been invited to interviews at York and Nottingham, but UCL are remaining exceptionally quiet! And it's making me nervous haha
I'm predicted mostly distinctions in English and History and the rest of my grades are predicted at merit. I've visited UCL quite a few times when I was younger and I'm going to be devastated if i don't even get an interview :frown:
Any help that calms my nerves would be greatly appreciated lol
Laura :smile:
Original post by lauraaimee
Hi all!
Been having a read and congrats to all of you who have been offered places :smile: I was just wondering if anyone knows if UCL deal with mature student applications differently to Alevel students? I'm currently on an Access to HE course and am panicking because I haven't heard anything from them :/ I've been invited to interviews at York and Nottingham, but UCL are remaining exceptionally quiet! And it's making me nervous haha
I'm predicted mostly distinctions in English and History and the rest of my grades are predicted at merit. I've visited UCL quite a few times when I was younger and I'm going to be devastated if i don't even get an interview :frown:
Any help that calms my nerves would be greatly appreciated lol
Laura :smile:

I think they deal with them largely the same. Out of interest when did you send your application?
And what would you say the equivalent would be of your predicted grades in A levels?
it was just before xmas, last day of term i think soooo 18th?
my grades would probably be equivalent to A-A*s with history and english, low A or B for merits i think. i'm hoping my excavation experience will count for something and all my volunteering with my councils archaeology department lol i'm there once a week....plus i was on the telly last week and am helping write a community archaeology handbook! all of this happened after i sent my application tho, so i'd hoped to be able to talk to someone or get an interview to talk about it all haha tbh UCL was a dream option for me. i really want to go to York :smile: but if i was given a chance i'd be in London like a shot hahaha
it was just before xmas, last day of term i think soooo 18th?
my grades would probably be equivalent to A-A*s with history and english, low A or B for merits i think. i'm hoping my excavation experience will count for something and all my volunteering with my councils archaeology department lol i'm there once a week....plus i was on the telly last week and am helping write a community archaeology handbook! all of this happened after i sent my application tho, so i'd hoped to be able to talk to someone or get an interview to talk about it all haha tbh UCL was a dream option for me. i really want to go to York :smile: but if i was given a chance i'd be in London like a shot hahaha

Awesome :smile: Well it sounds like you have a great shot at getting in. Just give it some time, they're dead busy right now.
i know and thank you :smile: just kicking myself a bit for putting my application in so late and am dripping with anticipation lol congrats on getting in yourself :smile:
i know and thank you :smile: just kicking myself a bit for putting my application in so late and am dripping with anticipation lol congrats on getting in yourself :smile:

It wasn't that late! And thank you :smile:
your welcome :smile: what was your interview like? i've got one at York in a couple of weeks and am a little nervous about what to expect lol
your welcome :smile: what was your interview like? i've got one at York in a couple of weeks and am a little nervous about what to expect lol

Just an informal chat really, same at Reading. They just ask about your motivations and interests and things. Don't get worked up, honestly, it's fine :smile: But you may as well check the archaeology news on Stone Pages or something the morning of your interview, just so you sound current and up to date if they ask you anything about sites you might be interested in :P
ahh, thanks for the tip! and thanks for your help :smile: i feel much better hehe it's amazing how worked up you can get about some things!
Uhul! Got an offer through track just today! I'm actually incredibly surprised at it: 13/20 on the French Bac, with 10 (seriously, 10, that's like failing!) in Math. For someone who was predicted 16, I'm not too worried about meeting the conditions :smile: Does anyone know when and how I apply for accommodation?
Original post by richardburton
Uhul! Got an offer through track just today! I'm actually incredibly surprised at it: 13/20 on the French Bac, with 10 (seriously, 10, that's like failing!) in Math. For someone who was predicted 16, I'm not too worried about meeting the conditions :smile: Does anyone know when and how I apply for accommodation?

You'll have to wait until you've firmed your offer, and received your offer letter through the post. Then, go through the UCL website and follow the instructions. I warn you, it's ridiculously complicated, I'm still waiting for them to sort mine out after it went wrong.
You'll have to wait until you've firmed your offer, and received your offer letter through the post. Then, go through the UCL website and follow the instructions. I warn you, it's ridiculously complicated, I'm still waiting for them to sort mine out after it went wrong.

If I use UCL as insurance then would it still be possible to apply for accommodation? (I also got an offer from Cambridge that I'm planning on firming, but with tougher conditions, and I'm not 100% sure that I'll meet them).
If I use UCL as insurance then would it still be possible to apply for accommodation? (I also got an offer from Cambridge that I'm planning on firming, but with tougher conditions, and I'm not 100% sure that I'll meet them).

Um you should definitely apply once you've set them as your insurance, but there's no guarantee you'll get any. You'll go on a waiting list if you end up going there, and it may take a month or more to get a place in halls.
Um you should definitely apply once you've set them as your insurance, but there's no guarantee you'll get any. You'll go on a waiting list if you end up going there, and it may take a month or more to get a place in halls.

Thanks! I think I'm going to cancel all my other applications and do this right now.:smile:

Which college is your offer for?

That's the thing I have a problem with with UCL if I get an offer, that I might not get accommodation if I put it as my insurance but I want to firm Cambridge.
Original post by AquilaXenon
Which college is your offer for?

That's the thing I have a problem with with UCL if I get an offer, that I might not get accommodation if I put it as my insurance but I want to firm Cambridge.

Churchill, got in through the pool :smile:
Reply 258
Offer for BA Archaeology :biggrin:
hey!
I got my questionnaire through yesterday and have just about finished filling it out. I wanted to ask whether you thought that Nottingham's Caves would count as an archaeological site? They've been in the news a lot here recently because they're being surveyed with 3D Laser imagining to be able to assess their archaeological significance...? They've fascinated me since I moved to Nottingham a few years ago! Or do I need to do something else? Any help you can give would be great!
Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending