The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Archaeology 2012 Undergraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauraaimee
hey!
I got my questionnaire through yesterday and have just about finished filling it out. I wanted to ask whether you thought that Nottingham's Caves would count as an archaeological site? They've been in the news a lot here recently because they're being surveyed with 3D Laser imagining to be able to assess their archaeological significance...? They've fascinated me since I moved to Nottingham a few years ago! Or do I need to do something else? Any help you can give would be great!
Thanks! :smile:

The Caves sound a great thing to talk about, particularly if they really fascinate you. The space on the questionnaire is quite limited so I think its best to only talk about one thing. That way you can go into a bit of detail on it (eg why its important, what special significance does it have etc), but I don't think they expect you to be an expert on it. :smile:

Good Luck!!!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by x8Charlotte8x
The Caves sound a great thing to talk about, particularly if they really fascinate you. The space on the questionnaire is quite limited so I think its best to only talk about one thing. That way you can go into a bit of detail on it (eg why its important, what special significance does it have etc), but I don't think they expect you to be an expert on it. :smile:

Good Luck!!!

Brilliant! Thank you! And they are fascinating! To me at least...haha :smile:
Reply 262
Anyone else got an interview on the 29th for Arch and Anth? Anyone already been who knows what they might ask? :s-smilie:
Reply 263
Original post by cocci
Anyone else got an interview on the 29th for Arch and Anth? Anyone already been who knows what they might ask? :s-smilie:

I have an interview for that day too but for BA Archaeology.
From what I've read they don't ask anything specific about either archaeology nor anthropology, since we aren't suppose to know much about - that's the propose of doing the degree. From what people have been saying they want us to show interest in the course and the university...

Read this, it might be helpful - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=730561 (read the first message from 2 weeks ago).

Apart from this I have no idea how it is going to be.
Nervous about it?
Original post by cocci

I'm there that day for Arch and Anth :smile: I know another girl who is going to be there as well.

I think they're quite general (I'm hoping they're quite general). I don't really know how to prepare, it's been so long since my Cambridge interview!
Reply 265
Original post by AquilaXenon
I'm there that day for Arch and Anth :smile: I know another girl who is going to be there as well.

I think they're quite general (I'm hoping they're quite general). I don't really know how to prepare, it's been so long since my Cambridge interview!

Make that two. I'm also hoping that to be some sort of informal interview. Apparently there's not much of us around here. One good thing to do before the interview is to know very well our personal statement and questionnaire in case they want to know more about something we wrote.

Where else are you applying to?
Original post by ash816
Make that two. I'm also hoping that to be some sort of informal interview. Apparently there's not much of us around here. One good thing to do before the interview is to know very well our personal statement and questionnaire in case they want to know more about something we wrote.

Where else are you applying to?

I think that's the only way I'm going to prepare I think, pretty much all of the books I've read I've talked about on one of those two, there's only a couple of others which I could always flag up at interview. I just need to remember to look at the questionnaire as well!

I've had offers from Cambridge, Durham and Bristol all for Arch and Anth and then Edinburgh for Social Anthropology (though if I went there I'd probably do archaeology as my outside modules and then do the joint course). How about you?
Reply 267
I think that's the only way I'm going to prepare I think, pretty much all of the books I've read I've talked about on one of those two, there's only a couple of others which I could always flag up at interview. I just need to remember to look at the questionnaire as well!

I've had offers from Cambridge, Durham and Bristol all for Arch and Anth and then Edinburgh for Social Anthropology (though if I went there I'd probably do archaeology as my outside modules and then do the joint course). How about you?

This is the only way I know how to prepare. Never been to an interview like this one so don't know what to expect from it. Yeah, same with me: the book that I mention I've already read it and it is still fresh in my mind. I'll have to read the questionnaire too again.

Oh nice, an offer from Cambridge. I wish I've thought about applying sooner so I could apply to Cambridge. My mistake but really happy with my choices. I applied for BA Archaeology and have unconditional offers from Cardiff, Exeter and Bristol and then a conditional offer from Reading. Have you thought which ones are you going to choose as firm and insurance?
Original post by ash816
This is the only way I know how to prepare. Never been to an interview like this one so don't know what to expect from it. Yeah, same with me: the book that I mention I've already read it and it is still fresh in my mind. I'll have to read the questionnaire too again.

Oh nice, an offer from Cambridge. I wish I've thought about applying sooner so I could apply to Cambridge. My mistake but really happy with my choices. I applied for BA Archaeology and have unconditional offers from Cardiff, Exeter and Bristol and then a conditional offer from Reading. Have you thought which ones are you going to choose as firm and insurance?

The Cambridge interviews are a lot more knowledge based so that's what I'm expecting it to be like but I know that they're not actually like that so I'm sort of in two minds about it all!

Cambridge isn't for everyone anyone and hey, you'll have an amazing time wherever you go and all of your other offers are still from really good universities so don't worry about it! I think I'm going to firm Cambridge but then I'm torn between Durham and Edinburgh (and UCL depending on their decision) for an insurance. How about you?
Reply 269
Hey!
I'm going for an interview too on that day, is everyone going on their own? and I've just heard that the interviews are really informal too, so I'm not worrying too much about it!
:smile:
My advice is, bring money for food because it's not provided!
Original post by HollieH
Hey!
I'm going for an interview too on that day, is everyone going on their own? and I've just heard that the interviews are really informal too, so I'm not worrying too much about it!

I'm going down to London with my Mum and I'll be with her before and after.

Original post by yakuzakitty
My advice is, bring money for food because it's not provided!

Can you buy food in the uni or do you get chance to go out to get food?
Can you buy food in the uni or do you get chance to go out to get food?

There are like cafés and stuff at the uni you can buy food from if you want, but basically before or after your interview (depending which is longest), you're encouraged to go and get food either at one of the cafés or somewhere else nearby. I ended up going to Costa with my mum...
Original post by yakuzakitty
There are like cafés and stuff at the uni you can buy food from if you want, but basically before or after your interview (depending which is longest), you're encouraged to go and get food either at one of the cafés or somewhere else nearby. I ended up going to Costa with my mum...

Ah okay that's great thanks. My mum's been asking me whether we'll be able to meet up or not so that's probably what I'll end up doing!
Reply 274
Original post by HollieH
Hey!

Hello!
A lot of people bring parents or even a friend along with them, its not a problem the only time they will have to separate from you is in your interview! But people do come on their own, its entirely up to you!
Good luck x
Reply 275
ahhh, i'm literally going on my own and I don't know anyone, worried now ahahaha
Reply 276
Ah okay that's great thanks. My mum's been asking me whether we'll be able to meet up or not so that's probably what I'll end up doing!

We don't provide food but regardless students will be on hand to take you to cafes and things that are on campus.
Your mum is more than welcome to come along for the whole day or even if you meet her after your interview, to the talks and tours which she may be keen to get involved in!
Good luck :smile: x
Reply 277
Original post by HollieH
ahhh, i'm literally going on my own and I don't know anyone, worried now ahahaha

Don't worry whatsoever, people do come on their own and regardless we'll be there to chat to and hopefully make you feel comfortable! I came to my interview on my own, petrified my mum would embarrass me, and it was absolutely fine! x
Reply 278
ahaha awwh thanks, i might see if i can find a friend who can take the day off, i would go with my mum but i have a twin and shes already going to an interview with her!
Original post by ArchAnon
We don't provide food but regardless students will be on hand to take you to cafes and things that are on campus.
Your mum is more than welcome to come along for the whole day or even if you meet her after your interview, to the talks and tours which she may be keen to get involved in!
Good luck :smile: x

Ah okay thanks! I just assumed that it would be students only all day. I'll see how she feels on the day to what happens but thanks for pointing it out. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending