Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Dawkins running scared of WLC

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...iam-lane-craig

I'm going to see WLC (and the empty chiar!) next week in Manchester.

What a shame though that Dawkins couldn't make any of the debates. His reason - or excuse - for not doing so is that he does not personally rate WLC as a philosopher. Of course, anyone with eyes can see the inconsistentcy in Dawkins' hatred for religion and the fact he affords the privilege of debate to senior clergy only.

I do hope that WLC and Dawkins can go toe-to-toe at some stage. It would be a massive blow for the atheist movement if Dawkins was remembered as 'the man who was scared of WLC'.

Then again, the outgoing Christopher Hitchens has crosssed swords with WLC before and came off second best. Who could blame Dawkins for thinking twice about it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You know Bakmouth, you're almost enough proof to make me disbelieve in natural selection and evolution.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did you read any of what Dawkins said? :hmmm:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    NOBODY FEED THE BAKTROLL THIS TIME!! Seriously, these threads will never ever end :cry:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    top trolling bakmouth, keep it up.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell is WLC?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just go away? noone gives a ****
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakmouth)
    the atheist movement
    What is this? Could it be a dance move? Or the act of reaching for the keyboard to highlight the latest Bakmouth nonsense? Or is it bowel-related? :rolleyes:
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greeny442)
    Who the hell is WLC?
    William Lane Craig, master of rhetoric, strawmen and generally being a bit of a knob.

What a shame though that Dawkins couldn't make any of the debates. His reason - or excuse - for not doing so is that he does not personally rate WLC as a philosopher. Of course, anyone with eyes can see the inconsistentcy in Dawkins' hatred for religion and the fact he affords the privilege of debate to senior clergy only.

I do hope that WLC and Dawkins can go toe-to-toe at some stage. It would be a massive blow for the atheist movement if Dawkins was remembered as 'the man who was scared of WLC'.

Then again, the outgoing Christopher Hitchens has crosssed swords with WLC before and came off second best. Who could blame Dawkins for thinking twice about it?
    I know this going to be useless since you and Ineluctable seem to think Craig is the best thing since sliced bread, but Hitchens destroyed Craig in their debate.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair it is pretty hypocritical of Dawkins who has said he "doesn't care who you are, what Church you go .... we'll have a friendly discussion and I'll be proved right" to turn down these attempts for debates with someone who is an internationally renowned apologist while at the same time gladly whoring himself on the "Bill O'Reilly Show" to promote his new book. I'd have a lot more respect for Dawkins if he'd just say "I don't want to debate you" rather than saying he'd only debate a "Bishop", when he has, of course, debated plenty of non-Bishops.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:

Or maybe Dawkins just can't be bothered wasting his time, the man probably has better things to do than getting into the same arguements over and over again. Everyone knows his views on religion so whats the point in him going.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    On another note, Dawkins supposedly charges somewhere in the region of $100,000 per appearance. I doubt he'd waive whatever he demands to service the interests of a Christian apologist just because he got called a scaredy cat.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Taken from the comments section:

You've 'debated' with enough thicko fundamentalists who, as literalists, are presumably implicit 'apologists for genocide' as well.
    It's staringly obvious that the difference is you are happy to shoot fish in a barrel but are running scare of this guy. Best just to keep quiet about it, rather than carry on drawing attention to it with stuff like this.
    Meanwhile, your backhander at the 'decent' theologians is also paper thin, coming from one who ties himself up in knots of fallacy trying to disown the atrocities of atheist history. And yes it is atheist history, Professor; fallacy number one is to compare atheism with catholicism or islam, while disowning communism, scientific racism etc.

The antonym of atheism is of course theism; they both boil down to a view on a question. Most of your material is based on the ideologies that are based on theistic principles. But you want it both ways and insist that the ideologies that emerge expressly from atheism and scientism are somehow unconnected.
    With a position based on such obviously poor logic and double standards you're a sitting duck for anyone but creationist rednecks and angsty liberal lady christians from the Guardian. Which is why you stick to those 'opponents' isn't it?

________________________________ ___________________

If I were as sure of myself, my views and philosophical stance as Professor Dawkins appears to be I'd fear no-one in debate and would relish the opportunity to best the finest that the opposition could throw at me.

Only your biggest fans (see above) would claim that you shouldn't dignify your 'loon' opponent by debating him.

Like it or not, your refusal to debate comes across as a genuine fear that you'd lose.
    ________________________________ __________________

He's worried he won't win the debate. Not because Craig's arguments are better, but because he has more experience as a debater.

Dawkins is worried about getting mugged.

________________________________ ___________________

I'm not going to argue with this person!

*proceeds to attack their views and statements in the safe confines of a one-sided article without the other person being able to respond*
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccac94)
    Or maybe Dawkins just can't be bothered wasting his time, the man probably has better things to do than getting into the same arguements over and over again. Everyone knows his views on religion so whats the point in him going.
    but he said in the article that he will have a debate with a bishop in the near future so that kinda contradicts his excuse of "not having time". It's all he does, everyday.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Taken from the comments section:
    And your point is?
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    On another note, Dawkins supposedly charges somewhere in the region of $100,000 per appearance. I doubt he'd waive whatever he demands to service the interests of a Christian apologist just because he got called a scaredy cat.
    Well that just shows though that he's after the money rather than an intellectual debate. A better teacher is one that teaches you for free, it has always been like that.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having read the article, I see his (RD's) point.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

Or WLC's answer to everything would be " But God wrote it!" and will just stun everyone with sheer denial and idiocy. What can anyone do with that level of brainwashing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else see the irony in the fact that an empty chair could win a debate with Craig?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    Well that just shows though that he's after the money rather than an intellectual debate. A better teacher is one that teaches you for free, it has always been like that.
    How many teachers do you know that do the job for nothing? :rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 24, 2011
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.