Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I weird for not using facebook?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest I don't have enough (close) friends, need for it, or need to breach my own privacy. Seems like everyone's on it. I'd rather just txt the people I need to.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same, but I've finally bowed to the pressure and going to make one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    If I'm honest I don't have enough (close) friends, need for it, or need to breach my own privacy. Seems like everyone's on it. I'd rather just txt the people I need to.
    there's no real reason NOT to have it.

not enough friends? so what? you can hide your friends list, so it can be 10 or 1000

breach privacy? only share what you want, as a basic you just need your name - nothing more.

and you even mentioned it "seems like everyone is on it"

people have changed, a lot of people would favour sending a FB msg rather than take out their phone and txt

if you are in uni, a lot of events are only mentioned on facebook, etc ...

back to my first line - there's no real reason not to have it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i deleted mine recently, fb took stalking to a whole new level lol
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not, I was thinking of deleting mine actually, although I think I'm hooked on it too much...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been on for about 5 years but I hardly use it anymore

I used to use it all the time even when nothing interesting was happening, but now I've just gotten bored with it

Social Networks R.I.P. (yn)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuw)
    there's no real reason NOT to have it.

not enough friends? so what? you can hide your friends list, so it can be 10 or 1000

breach privacy? only share what you want, as a basic you just need your name - nothing more.

and you even mentioned it "seems like everyone is on it"

people have changed, a lot of people would favour sending a FB msg rather than take out their phone and txt

if you are in uni, a lot of events are only mentioned on facebook, etc ...

back to my first line - there's no real reason not to have it.
    Well, there is, privacy, and facebook's attitude to it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then do so.

I deleted my Facebook after realizing it was pointless and as you say, it breaches your own privacy.

There are also a lot of "friends" on there I wanted to cut out of my life. I feel very free now
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ironandwine)
    No, of course not, I was thinking of deleting mine actually, although I think I'm hooked on it too much...
    being 'hooked' is a personal thing not a facebook thing.

it just allows you to be in contact with people, nothing more.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House Dagoth)
    Then do so.

I deleted my Facebook after realizing it was pointless and as you say, it breaches your own privacy.

There are also a lot of "friends" on there I wanted to cut out of my life. I feel very free now
    You ever used it to contact a missed person?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welsh leprecaun)
    i feel the same, but i've finally bowed to the pressure and going to make one
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, there is, privacy, and facebook's attitude to it.
    What exactly are you scared of? as I said - you only need a name, it can even be a variant of your real name if you are that scared of your details being hacked.

Again you only share what you feel comfortable with, you know you don't HAVE to mention your every move on facebook? no-one forces it upon you.

You don't have to mention anything just to have an account.

Therefore it is a non-issue.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I stopped using facebook for about a year ago,

And I feel actually better without it, such waste of time that site.

I'd rather use skype with the people I know well instead if I or them live away from the city I live at or abroad.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuw)
    What exactly are you scared of? as I said - you only need a name, it can even be a variant of your real name if you are that scared of your details being hacked.

Again you only share what you feel comfortable with, you know you don't HAVE to mention your every move on facebook? no-one forces it upon you.

You don't have to mention anything just to have an account.

Therefore it is a non-issue.
    Is that not hacking (legally speaking) as you're required to give your name, so if you give a variation of it then you are gaining access to a network in a way outside the specified terms of use?

IP address can be used to trace your location and even who you are if you're not careful.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh Leprecaun)
    I feel the same, but I've finally bowed to the pressure and going to make one
    Yeah, same here. Deactivated my account a while back because of a messed up situation at home. I've been asked for my Facebook so many times since i moved to uni and when i've said i don't have one, its not been an issue. People are persuading me to get one but nothing bad or anything. I've told people it will be a new Facebook for uni and its really a non issue. Nobody will care about it unless you do, just make a joke about it. Eg. ''i'll add you when i get an account, i'll be the guy with 50 friends and 1 wall post''.

I know it'll make it ten times easier to talk and get to know people as well. You may as well go for it, even if you don't use it very often.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=PendulumBoB;34538000]Is that not hacking (legally speaking) as you're required to give your name, so if you give a variation of it then you are gaining access to a network in a way outside the specified terms of use?

IP address can be used to trace your location and even who you are if you're not careful.[/QUOTE

LOL, in the real world, do you think the police will care that OH NO he didn't use his real name??

Long as you are not using facebook to commit crime, then again - what's the big deal?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Yeah, same here. Deactivated my account a while back because of a messed up situation at home. I've been asked for my Facebook so many times since i moved to uni and when i've said i don't have one, its not been an issue. People are persuading me to get one but nothing bad or anything. I've told people it will be a new Facebook for uni and its really a non issue. Nobody will care about it unless you do, just make a joke about it. Eg. ''i'll add you when i get an account, i'll be the guy with 50 friends and 1 wall post''.

I know it'll make it ten times easier to talk and get to know people as well. You may as well go for it, even if you don't use it very often.
    I don't like the fact it's that bigger deal socially, tbh. Why don't people just ask for your no. It's more committing, that is, so they probs want to seem more casual.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You ever used it to contact a missed person?
    I can't recall. It has been a year since I have used it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also it creates more problems than it solves not having a facebook.

Do you really want give off the message you are anti-social/hiding something?

People even ask for a facebook before asking for a number these days, so again I don't see the big deal.

Even if you did use your real name - so what? OH NO THEY KNOW MY NAME !!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Same, people keep asking for it but then look at me funny when I say I dont have one

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2011
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.